It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
reply to post by redoubt

Personally, I don't give a flying rat's ass either way.

I really don't care either, but these seem like desperate times for Obama where he has to make a good sales pitch before the election...

Like I said in another comment... he was hoping that the vote would go his way so he did not have to commit. But... didn't happen that way so he was yanked into the spotlight and the question was asked. he had to take a position.

Historically, Lincoln was ready to sell the slaves down the river to save the union without a fight. he held out on taking a stand...

Now as then, we build our heroes less on their goodness towards what we want, than the outcome it produces. If Obama's signing on helps, he will be that hero. If not... he will be forgotten over time.

Politics is a polarizing, dehumanizing disease that is as attractive as some popular drugs. We can't help ourselves... we must partake...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Headline:
President Obama Endorses Same-Sex Marriage

Reason:
To score more votes,for his reelection.

Real question: Why didn't he say this 4 years ago?

Obama is a political opportunist.

It won't do any good.

Americans are more concerned about high unemployment and high price of gas.

Job growth is trending down.

Independents are moving towards Romney.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Whoah!! Freedom to love and marry who they want??? I keep hearing that. Like Bidens speech on loving one another.. Sure. So, does that include those who "love" children, and "love" relatives enough to want to marry one. (pedophiles and incest) How about those who choose to love many men or women and wish to marry all of them? Animal Lovers?? Sure its extreme but the same logic can apply.

Where does it stop? When does it stop?

Really???

Have you heard of a thing called "consenual adults"...that is what we are talking about here...try to keep up.

And for the record...I'm fine with polygamy...and so is Romney

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Did You read this post?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by meggiddo2012
Well why don't we just go ahead and support bestiality or necrophilia.

Ignorance like this is beyond pathetic.

I don't bother with it any more.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Same sex marriage isn't even a hot topic button for me...just one of those things that I don't understand why people oppose so passionately.

That about sums it up for me. How about issues like the economy? Military spending? Oh, wait, those two might actually be linked.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Same sex marriage isn't even a hot topic button for me...just one of those things that I don't understand why people oppose so passionately.

That about sums it up for me. How about issues like the economy? Military spending? Oh, wait, those two might actually be linked.

I agree...we should talk about both the Economy and Military Spending.

But this is an important issue for a group of people, so to them I'd say it is very worth talking about.

I know you aren't saying this, but some people seem to think that Obama making this one small statement means that he is only going to talk about Same Sex Marriage from now on

link   

I agree...we should talk about both the Economy and Military Spending.

But this is an important issue for a group of people, so to them I'd say it is very worth talking about.

I know you aren't saying this, but some people seem to think that Obama making this one small statement means that he is only going to talk about Same Sex Marriage from now on

link   

Maybe people who aren't gay will have a gay son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter in the future....they should be happy that we may one day live in a country where they aren't tormented and treated like second class citizens because of their sexual preference.

I agree with that only because outcomes like you mentioned above may be the case...Anyone can be gay...I am not arguing with you there...

Everyone should be happy when our leaders promote Equality rather than other people wanting to cast a group of people out as "bad".

I just don't like the fact that he is supporting an issue thinking it will change the minds of all, and using it as a last resort sales pitch...If you support gay marriages do it for the right reasons, not because it will get you votes...

link   

I'm more worried about the $16 Trillion debt bomb just waiting to go off.

We have to get everyone back to work in the private sector.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Absolutely! We close all our bases overseas, close our borders, and then we can fix our economy.

Once that is done, then we can spend time focusing on things like gay marriages, Obama's favourite colours, Jackie Chan movies. . . . .

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Acutally what we should be talking about is a

15 trillion dollar debt
70 million Americans on Sociall Security where more people are taking money out of that system than paying into it
50 million Americans on welfare

Over 120 trillion of social engineering promises made that can never be paid for. the abisimal failure of there are now more people consuming the wealth of others than creating their own long term self sustaining income.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

Whoah!! Freedom to love and marry who they want??? I keep hearing that. Like Bidens speech on loving one another.. Sure. So, does that include those who "love" children, and "love" relatives enough to want to marry one. (pedophiles and incest) How about those who choose to love many men or women and wish to marry all of them? Animal Lovers?? Sure its extreme but the same logic can apply.

Where does it stop? When does it stop?

Really???

Have you heard of a thing called "consenual adults"...that is what we are talking about here...try to keep up.

And for the record...I'm fine with polygamy...and so is Romney

Really??

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is shrugging off a Democratic governor's remark that a history of polygamy in the Romney family could hurt his chances of being elected.

Romney is also pointing out that his grandfather did not have multiple wives as Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer said in an interview. The Republican did not mention that his great-grandfather had more than one wife.

Romney is a Mormon, and plural marriage was a teaching of the church in the 19th century.

"My dad's dad was not a polygamist," Romney told Fox News on Friday when asked about Schweitzer's remarks.

"My dad grew up in a family with a mom and a dad and a few brothers and one sister. They lived in Mexico and they lived a very nice life there from what I understand," he said.

Hmmm

Polygamy was part of the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for decades in the 1800s. Church history says its president received in 1890 what he believed was a revelation from God to withdraw the command to practice plural marriage.

Mitt Romney's father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, was born in a Mormon colony in Mexico in 1907. Mitt Romney's grandfather Gaskell Romney, married in 1895, five years after the church's ban of polygamy.

news.yahoo.com...

Try to keep up with your own logic..

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's very pathetic that some want to deflect this important event.

As if - - the world is going to stop because of it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I would have had more respect for Obama if he had said;

"This is a states right issue. Not my issue. My concern is with the economy and jobs."

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

but some people seem to think that Obama making this one small statement means that he is only going to talk about Same Sex Marriage from now on

He has been talking about it throughout his entire presidency in one way or another. First by ordering DOJ no to defend DOMA and then with his reversal of Dont ask Dont tell. He caved to the pressure on that last issue as well after first defending the Military policy.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Here is the thing about states rights:

Tyranny, no matter how small is known by the same name. If states seek to destroy equality: They are Tyrannical. If the mob seeks to deny equality: They are Tyrannical.

Give me Equality (see liberty) or give me Death.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I would have had more respect for Obama if he had said;

"This is a states right issue. Not my issue. My concern is with the economy and jobs."

Don't lie...you will never respect Obama...your hate runs deep.

He did say this is his personal position...not a political one.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So why'd he wait three and a half years into his presidency to make this statement?
It's not like he's been too busy to make a statement before this ..
Just cut one of his golf games short and he could have made the statement much sooner.
What's his agenda for saying it now??

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Now considering from the mouth of the great big O he said it was a state right then why is the Government chiming in now of all times?

The government is not chiming in. This is Obama's PERSONAL opinion. He still thinks it's for the states to decide the legality. His statement today had nothing to do with law or an official position. It's his PERSONAL opinion.

Originally posted by The Old American
I'm just trying to figure out how one of the most intelligent people on this entire site can fall so easily for his political maneuvering.

I don't agree that Obama's statement was made for the purpose of political maneuvering. It's not like the LGBT community was going to vote for Romney and now that Obama has stated his personal opinion, they're going to run in droves to vote for him. It's already clear that Obama supports them. He always has. He's already done a lot for them.

In fact, I was against Obama saying anything because it may very well LOSE him votes of some of the more conservative Democrats in Indiana, Ohio, etc., not to mention the independents in the battleground states... In my view, this was a risky move for Obama. It took balls that I didn't know he had.
For him to refrain from making a comment would have been for political gain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join