It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

The basis of these laws goes back pretty far and is not based on interracial marriages all the time.

Not marriage.

The USA government marriage license was to prevent interracial marriage.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It doesn't have anything to do with interracial marriage anymore. At present race is not an issue and gay marriage is not a racial issue. Not as defined by the present definition of race.

The present definition of marriage is specific also. Call it something else when gays get married, it doesn't have to be called marriage.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

It doesn't have anything to do with interracial marriage anymore. At present race is not an issue and gay marriage is not a racial issue. Not as defined by the present definition of race.

The present definition of marriage is specific also. Call it something else when gays get married, it doesn't have to be called marriage.

People get married for many different reasons, some of which have NOTHING to do with procreation -- therefore, having an opposite sex marriage isn't critical.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Both are an Equal Rights issue.

Marriage is MARRIAGE - - it is NOT - interracial or gay marriage or straight marriage - - - it is just MARRIAGE.

Separate but Equal is never OK.

Marriage is the recognized word/terminology around the world - - - including countries that have FULL MARRIAGE EQUALITY. Including states in America that now have FULL MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

Current definition of Marriage includes same sex couples.

Religion - any belief or not belief is a choice - - - and has no legal bearing on individual rights.

There are homosexuals of all faiths and cultures - - - who have as much right as anyone else to be married in the eyes of their God(s).

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
MSNBC's Matthews To African-American Pastor: 'I Hope You Evolve'

www.breitbart.com...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
www.realclearpolitics.com...

Klein has this interview with Wright on tape,

Listen to the last minutes of the interview.

No way do I believe Obama is for Gay marriage,

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

No way do I believe Obama is for Gay marriage,

It is no wonder you have only one point of view. EVERY site you link is identical in the same ideology.

RealClearPolitics is a political news and polling data aggregator based in Chicago, Illinois. The site's founders say their goal is to give readers "ideological diversity." They have described themselves as frustrated with what they perceive as anti-conservative, anti-Christian media bias, and while some have suggested the commentary is conservative-leaning, . .

In an interview with the conservative magazine Human Events, McIntyre described the philosophy behind the Web site as based on "freedom" and "common-sense values." Said Bevan, "We think debate on the issues is a very important thing. We post a variety of opinions." He further stated, "we have a frustration all conservatives have", which is "the bias in media against conservatives, religious conservatives, [and] Christian conservatives."

Forbes Media announced on November 7, 2007 that it had acquired a 51% stake in RealClearPolitics.com.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 15-5-2012 by Annee because: DAMN QUOTES

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Sixty-seven percent of those surveyed by The New York Times and CBS News since the announcement said they thought that Mr. Obama had made it “mostly for political reasons

Sixty-seven percent of those surveyed by The New York Times and CBS News since the announcement said they thought that Mr. Obama had made it “mostly for political reasons,” while 24 percent said it was “mostly because he thinks it is right.” Independents were more likely to attribute it to politics, with nearly half of Democrats agreeing.

The results reinforce the concerns of White House aides and Democratic strategists who worried that the sequence of events leading up to the announcement last week made it look calculated rather than principled.

www.nytimes.com...

Why Obama supporters are desperately clinging to their," hope and change" is beyond me, wake up.
edit on 053131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sometimes.

Transparent is the only appropriate word.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
OMG - - I can not stop laughing.

An issue that is dividing the nation is a POLITICAL ISSUE.

Obama’s Switch on Same-Sex Marriage Stirs Skepticism

By PETER BAKER and DALIA SUSSMAN

Most Americans suspect that President Obama was motivated by politics, not policy, when he declared his support for same-sex marriage, according to a poll released on Monday, suggesting that the unplanned way it was announced shaped public attitudes. www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

laughing along with you Annee :-)

The Marriage Trap
Republicans made gay marriage a wedge issue. Now that it hurts them, they call it “divisive.”

Eight years ago, the U.S. economy was languishing. We were bogged down in two wars, and the national debt was rising. President Bush was up for re-election, and Republicans needed a wedge issue. They found it in Massachusetts, whose Supreme Judicial Court in 2003 had asserted a statewide right to gay marriage. Seizing the opportunity, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney ran around the country declaring a national moral crisis. Republicans, urged on by Bush, introduced a constitutional amendment to prohibit gay marriage.

Anyhow, politics - and polls...what can we say? :-)

Since then, public opinion has continued to shift toward accepting gay marriage. Democrats now support it by margins of 64 to 32 in the Post’s March 2012 survey, 65 to 34 in Gallup’s May sample, and 59 to 31 in Pew’s combined 2012 data. Independents in all three polls now favor gay marriage: 54 to 42 according to the Post, 52 to 38 according to Pew, and 57 to 40 according to Gallup. At the same time, the Republican margin of opposition has fallen. It’s 74 to 22 as measured by Gallup, 68 to 23 as measured by Pew, and 57 to 39 as measured by the Post.

both from the same article: www.slate.com...

There will be many, many more polls before the election - and speculation about who did what when and why

This will really be something to watch now the gauntlet has been thrown down
edit on 5/15/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Annee

laughing along with you Annee :-)

Thanks.

I have been following this issue from LGBTQ web sites and gay talk radio shows.

Detailed specifics are not necessary on this subject. Its politics. If you don't get elected - - you don't affect change - - it's that simple. ALL play the political game. Romney (and all others)
play the same political game - - its just STUPID trying to pretend one does and the other doesn't!

From the LGBTQ perspective Obama has always leaned positive toward equality - - at least in supporting civil unions.

I can only go by my own education and evolvement in learning Civil Union is not equal. Only FULL equality of legal marriage is equal.

I've been fighting this fight for 20 years - - - and I claim EVOLVEMENT. I think many (maybe most) people evolve when they become involved with close friends and/or family members OR co-workers and their families - - just as Obama stated.

Gays did support Obama - - but I know from listening to them directly - - their problem was Obama did not commit. He is their president too - - and he did not commit to their equality. LGBTQ representatives have been meeting with and putting pressure on the Obama administration ever since the day he was elected (and before).

I remember Obama saying: "If I don't listen - - make me HEAR YOU". The LGBTQ did just that.

TODAY - - - I hope he is re-elected - - but I don't care. He COMMITTED!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

About politics - where the end is often used to justify the means...the whole thing leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I realize that makes me - not special

On evolving...I can only say I can't help but respect anybody who is capable of changing their mind

I remember Obama saying: "If I don't listen - - make me HEAR YOU". The LGBTQ did just that.

TODAY - - - I hope he is re-elected - - but I don't care. He COMMITTED!

Absolutely - this is where I am too

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Tokyo Disney gives same-sex marriage thumbs up in Japan

TOKYO — Just days after US President Barack Obama came out in favour of gay marriage, another supporter of homosexual unions emerged in Japan: Mickey Mouse.

Despite their having no legal status, same sex couples are able to hold fairytale wedding ceremonies at hotels inside the popular Tokyo Disney Resort, including at the Cinderella Castle, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday.

www.google.com...

Just thought I would add this little story.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Tokyo Disney gives same-sex marriage thumbs up in Japan

TOKYO — Just days after US President Barack Obama came out in favour of gay marriage, another supporter of homosexual unions emerged in Japan: Mickey Mouse.

Despite their having no legal status, same sex couples are able to hold fairytale wedding ceremonies at hotels inside the popular Tokyo Disney Resort, including at the Cinderella Castle, a company spokeswoman said Tuesday.

www.google.com...

Just thought I would add this little story.

Thanks

I've noticed the EVOLUTION since I've been on ATS.

It's Happening! All over the world.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Now we know why he made his announcment when he did.

It's all about money and politics. Typical.

ABC News - Obama Gay Marriage Stance Drives Donations

He made the announcment just a few days before he got with the Gay/Lesbian groups for fund raising.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

He even wrangled Ricky Martin to head up a fundy right after Clooney's big bash.

Obama's "livin la vida loca" on the campaign trail and laughing all the way to the bank....

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Obama's "livin la vida loca" on the campaign trail and laughing all the way to the bank....

You do know he's not putting that money in the bank, right? It's campaign cash.

And he's not the first to organize his campaign to his own benefit.

Some people act like they've never seen a president speak up and speak out for a segment of his voter base...

GObama! 2012!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

He even wrangled Ricky Martin to head up a fundy right after Clooney's big bash.

It is a trick he is using their liberal agenda to get his foothold, if he gets reelected, there will be no holds barred,

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

It is a trick he is using their liberal agenda to get his foothold, if he gets reelected, there will be no holds barred,

pray tell - whatever will become of us? :-)

what's the trick Stormdancer? He fooled us all into believing he actually likes gay people?

god we're dumb...

right?

:-)

<< 16  17  18    20 >>

join