It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mysterious missing forest in new jersey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
i found an old book at the library called "investigating the unexplained" by ivan sanderson from 1972. I was fascinated by a chapter on a mysterious forest in new jersey where all the trees were broken off at about the same level and no one can tell what from. I live in new jersey and have never heard of this before. I am not even sure if it is still there. The book says it is somewhere near cape may but doesnt give to much specifics. They say tornados, hurricanes and typhoons were ruled out. some of the trees were over six fee in diameter. none were uprooted just snapped off. No signs of rot or decay. And even more strange is the snapped off part of the trees were missing. Can any one think of anything that could have done this? You would need some tremendous force to do this. Does any one know if it is still there? cant figure out how to post the picture from the book. I scanned it and it is in my computer. maybe someone can help me upload it

img.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
edit on 9-5-2012 by HODOSKE because: post picture

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HODOSKE
i found an old book at the library called "investigating the unexplained" by ivan sanderson from 1972. I was fascinated by a chapter on a mysterious forest in new jersey where all the trees were broken off at about the same level and no one can tell what from. I live in new jersey and have never heard of this before. I am not even sure if it is still there. The book says it is somewhere near cape may but doesnt give to much specifics. They say tornados, hurricanes and typhoons were ruled out. some of the trees were over six fee in diameter. none were uprooted just snapped off. No signs of rot or decay. And even more strange is the snapped off part of the trees were missing. Can any one think of anything that could have done this? You would need some tremendous force to do this. Does any one know if it is still there? cant figure out how to post the picture from the book. I scanned it and it is in my computer. maybe someone can help me upload it

Fist pump, pushups, Chapstick.

On a serious note, I'm looking into this, never heard of this.....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You can upload it to your ATS Uploads page (from Tools menu at top) or upload it to a site like photobucket.com and paste the "[img]" code in the body of your text.

I hope you can do it soon- I'm very interested to know more! I'll look it up too.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

lets see if this works. here is the picture of the trees from the book
img.abovetopsecret.com...[/img]

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Could be to prevent the spreading of unwanted insects. I know here in Washington state, there are hundreds of acres of the same looking trees that were taken down at the tops to stop the spreading of foreign insects.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
these were snapped off not cut down

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I found this quote:

Ivan T. Sanderson in one of his books, Investigating the Unexplained[768] , recounts an 1863 report of a 200-foot high tsunami which sped up the Ganges and Houghli Rivers in India killing tens of thousands of people without ‘snapping-off’ trees. He contrasts this with the tree stumps covering acres aound East Creek, New Jersey that have all been broken off at the same height and where he suggested that only a tsunami could have caused such widespread and uniform destruction. In view of the fact that some of these cedar trees had six foot diameter trunks he speculates on the possible size of a tsunami that could bring about such extreme damage.

From someone that seems to have read his work.

atlantipedia.ie...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Maybe you should have investigated it more before posting it.

Just saying....

I would have to say you got something here.....and most likely the answer is at a local library or local historian to that area.

I just did some checking.... Seems like he was somewhat a pioneer in UFO reporting etc. And, seeing one himself. Anyway, a dedicated man-for sure

www.ufoevidence.org...

kinda of reminds me of Vincent Price...

edit on 5/9/2012 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Ice/freezing rain can do that.. If you get near Pa. in the Poconos on I-80 you can see huge swaths of trees snapped from a ice storm a few years back. Maybe the State cleaned up the branches?

Just to add, Twisters can level an forest fairly easily also, saw that in the Poconos. We get firewood from the downed trees after getting s free permit from the ranger station. I would assume twister would have been reported for that area....unless there isn't anyone closely living in that area.
edit on 5/9/2012 by mugger because: add

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

That was my thought as well when I saw the picture. Those are cypress trees which only grow in water so I was thinking perhaps a large wave came in and took them down. The trunks may have been washed back out when the wave receded.
Seems the only logical conclusion to me.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I haven't read the book, but the excerpt I posted seems to say that the books author was leaning towards it being a tsunami which would most likely account for the branches/tree tops being missing as well since the waters would have taken them. It seems there are studies around that have also checked the deposits in the new jersey area and show evidence of a possible tsunami in that region.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

but it says that a 200 foot tsunami in india Did NOT snap off the trees. So if New jerersey had a tsunami it would have been much bigger and you would think there would be other signs of it than that one forest.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
A lifeflight helicopter went down in the woods here on my property. Many trees were snapped clean off in a straight line. You can still see where it happened. I am not saying the two are possibly related but the post did bring this to mind.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The Jersey Devil had a bad day.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I`m in the right place because what i`m about to say might be a little .............
, but , that shape in the photo , the broken tree on the right ..... it`s starting to make way too many appearences , i`m officially tired of this thing .... what is it ? i mean the shape , not the broken tree
is it used as a " logo " , a " sign " , what is it ?

I saw it in an old-ish thread on here , someone`s painting that they thought was odd or something , and this "shape" or "sign" was smack dab in the centre of it , looked like a broken tree too to be honest , everyone thought that was it until he uploaded the FULL painting which was a huge volcano blowing the s### out of everything around it , and the sky was stormy , but this thing , "shape" was still centre of attention . I`ll see if i can find the thread with the search doodle.

Edit : BAM !! first try ..... not THAT old too , i`m wrong a lot
.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Might have nothing at all to do with this , but i see this /slanted/ V "shape" a lot these days and its starting to bug me now.

edit on 9-5-2012 by RockLobster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I am embedding the image for easier viewing for readers.

And the one the poster above is talking about....interesting....they are similar.

And the entire painting from the other thread. Again.....just doing this for easier reference.

edit on 5/9/12 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I also have to say that the picture in the book looks as if the trees had been down for a LONG time. The tops/branches could have been taken by locals for timber and such over a period of years. Who knows....can't really tell a whole lot without the text from the book to reference what he saw first hand and what he thought of the site. It appears there are plenty of trees growing in the area behind the photo as well.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
interesting similarity between the two photos....

but back on topic i have seen trees broken off like that here in Kansas i dont know what caused it but im going to say its natural causes.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Was a damn built, and a lake anywhere near there and then they flodded that area, I know some man made lakes that have trees like that and Thats exactly what the trees look like when a tornado comes through and snaps them like toothpicks, to me it looks like the trees had been that way for a long time before the pic was taken, looks like rotting bark and tree trunks in water.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Several years ago a weird storm passed by and my dad said a sudden rush of powerful wind came down like an invisible fist and smashed the trees behind his house. A small radius was affected. It was not a swath of destruction like you would get with a tornado. And he did not see or hear anything like a tornado. Since the broken off portions of the trees in the OP story are completely missing I don't think such a microburst was the cause but the other anecdotes listed in this thread made me think of what my dad witnessed. We are just grateful that "fist of God" spared the homes and just hit a small bit of woods behind the houses. Likely not even animals were harmed. I'm no expert so based on what I looked up in the Internet my dad witnessed either a downburst or microburst. These are interesting storms and do cause interesting looking tree damage because we are all used to looking at debris strewn wildly around from tornadoes. We are not used to seeing trees flattened by nature as if an explosive went off in their midst.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join