It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats really behind this "Scientific Research Ghost Town?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I had posted about this last night, but didn't get much of a response about it. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that might know a little bit more about this project, and what exactly is going to be researched there. I have a hard time believing that its going to be anything good, but who knows.

abcnews.go.com...

A scientific ghost town in the heart of southeastern New Mexico oil and gas country will hum with the latest next-generation technology — but no people. A $1 billion city without residents will be developed in Lea County near Hobbs, officials said Tuesday, to help researchers test everything from intelligent traffic systems and next-generation wireless networks to automated washing machines and self-flushing toilets.

also, I did manage to find a little bit of information here...www.sfreporter.com...

The list of technologies to be tested at the center includes nuclear energy and security technology useful to federal law enforcement. Pegasus currently has a contract with the US Department of Defense to create devices that interfere with electronic warfare detonation signals, and Pegasus CEO Robert Brumley previously told SFR that the CITE project was inspired by Pegasus’ own difficulties in finding US land on which to test its defense technologies. Pegasus also recently entered into contracts with two other defense contractors to develop the CITE project, Science Applications International Corp. and Advanced Insights Group Inc. Ray-Garcia tells SFR that Pegasus may test its own defense technology at CITE, but adds that this would exclude anything “destructive.” Hardison says Pegasus has assured Lea County that it’s “not going to test anything of a destructive nature there.” “I can’t say we have any negative impressions from what they’re doing,” Montgomery says. “I think, with any project you look at, any business that’s looking to locate in any area, it’s going to come down to whether or not they can do it. And that’s really more of a business decision than it is anything else.”

also, I did manage to find some information from a local newspaper (Hobss Daily News-Sun) there that says this, can't seem to find the source for verification

There will be an above ground, unpopulated, fully operating and real word lab environment representative of a midsized American city.
-Urban footpritnt: high rise buildings, urban canyons
-suburban neighborhoods: mixed styles and neighborhood design
-Open spaces for expansion and isolated testing areas with unique designs
-an interstate, urban rural road system.
-An ubiquitous wireless and fixed-line communications and infrastructure

also, the backbone:
A unique underground operations and maintenence facility composed of
-a fully integrated LEED certified, "intelligent" netword
-interconnectivity with CITE LABS and the Administrative Campus
-Secure and restricted "tenant zones"
-Telecommunications networes, e.g. data centers, network operating centers, central offices
-Energy production and distribution networks
-Intelligent traffic systems interfaces

Now, this seems like a curious project and was wondering if anyone has heard if it is the only one of its kind, and may have a little insight to this project. It seems to me as if they are preparing for something big, and building some sort of infrastructure for after it happens. Then again, it could be exactly what they say it is. Anyway, just thought I would share and welcome insight.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

It's a real life Eureka

Seriously though it sounds interesting, although if they want to test out some awesome new technology they can always come knocking on my door

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Very cool. I look forward to when the city is built and Google Earth updates its maps.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Possibly to see if they can pull off complete or nearly complete automation with limited personal for repairs and upkeep. This would prove that some of the more modern cities (not in the USA think middle east) could be sustained with a HUGE POPULATION REDUCTION...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Sounds like an excuse to build a city that is self sustainable, for the fortunate few that may survive what's coming.

Think about it. A billion dollars? Dr Evil would be happy.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well it would be easier to auto mate everything without anyone around

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Sounds like an excuse to build a city that is self sustainable, for the fortunate few that may survive what's coming.

A billion dollars gets spent on an airplane, it's kinda chump change these days to the sort of people you are talking about.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

A billion dollars gets spent on an airplane, it's kinda chump change these days to the sort of people you are talking about.

Not really. But, that's your opinion.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is uniquely interesting. I don't think that things/projects like this are a bad thing, I hope for example that they integrate plant lab technology and work on building more effective means of travel. It is a great opportunity to start anew without outdated not so efficient infrastructure all ready in the way great potential to truly learn how to change our ways and an interesting perspective on what the future may look like.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by Havick007

Haha my thoughts exactly!

Defiantly worth keeping an eye on, though I'm sure it won't pan into muich though. Sounds like just a testing area for the latest gadgets and gizmos.. Though I do find it odd that they are spending that much money on a city without people.

Though at the same time, didn't china build a few cities in the middle of no where- that are empty? From what I remember they were basically only built as a means to create jobs.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It's not a real town per-se. It's meant to feature different settings present in urban and suburban areas and see how various technologies function.

It's going to be a somewhat weird and compressed "city."

reply to post by amongus

What about this is self-sustainable?

If that is their goal - they fail. The whole thing is exposed.

Of course - we already had/have what you are talking about. Look up the Greenbrier Resort.

If they were going to embark on a project like that again - well... it would go down in much the same fashion. You wouldn't hear anything about it from the media you detest... and therefor wouldn't find it within your hubris to think yourself to have deciphered their "true intentions."

Here - I'll go ahead and spare you the keystrokes:

www.washingtonpost.com...

A warren of rooms and corridors took shape where there had been a hill. The walls were two feet thick and reinforced with steel. Later, the entire structure was covered with a concrete roof and buried beneath 20 feet of dirt. At each entrance, cranes hung humongous steel doors, as if giants were to inhabit the underground structure. Soon thereafter, Wickline was told, "sensitive equipment" was moved into the facility. The door was locked. A guard was posted outside.

travel.nytimes.com...

Officially designated Project Greek Island but known colloquially as “the bunker,” it was decommissioned after its location was revealed by The Washington Post in 1992.

Of course... the parallels between these two operations are striking.

I think you might be onto something....

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Not really. But, that's your opinion.

$720 Million a day, is that in opinion? www.washingtonpost.com...

top topics

join