It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg found in Martian Meteorite

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Interesting ,
(on earth) Egg producing organism are relatively complex, so if this is true, it has some significant implications.
edit on 9-5-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Carbonaceous chondrites are fairly well documented and are known to contain oxygen as well..

Pretty sure there's nothing unusual about this meteorite except that it contains nodules which form naturally in nature especially where volcanic activity is present.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hmm. I would like more evidence. Maybe a confirmation from a reputable newspaper or more photographs. I doubt this photo would be allowed to remain the "public domain" if it were not altered somewhat. With that said, it looks almost too good to be through. Don't get me wrong, I believe Mars had life and may still have it. There is water on mars as a Discover Magazine article once back up but I just need more evidence.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
i'm not going to make statements about the actual content (I do lack the insights to do that in a rational way).

So in other words, that means any opinion you have on this object is also untrustworthy

Just saying

is it too hard to understand the difference between lacking information on a certain topic and understanding the nature of certain publications?

but hey, in a way you are right: suppose I would say something about the object (the egg thing) that would make that statement not to be trusted. that's why I don't make those statements.

just asking, trust me

edit on 9-5-2012 by NeverSleepingEyes because: first version sounded too aggressive while this wasn't the intention, trust me

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
How do they know its meterorite from Mars? And how does there become a meteroite from Mars here?

martian meteorite: Martian meteorites are martian rocks that were ejected from Mars by impacts and later fell to the Earth as meteorites. Three well-known types are shergottites (basaltic to lherzolitic igneous rocks, named after the Shergotty, India, fall of 1865), nakhlites (clinopyroxenites or wehrlites, formed as cumulate rocks, and named after the Nakhla, Egypt, fall of 1911), and chassignites (dunitic cumulate rocks named after the Chassigny, France, fall of 1815).

The meteorite has been found to contain pockets of Martian atmosphere which also confirms its Martian origin

Please at LEAST take the time to read the provided documents

+7 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

is it too hard to understand the difference between lacking information

The reason many of us come here to ATS is because we seek information... So when information is presented, why do so many debunkers feel the need to attack it rather than take a moment to look at it subjectively? Just read most of the replies so far

Whether or not you lack the info to discuss it, the photo is NOT in question it is real. You only need your eyes to see it is an interesting object worthy of looking at

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Great find Zorgon.

I wonder how many meteorites have fallen with the same characteristics as this one that are still pending final research to be made public.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Egg found in Martian Meteorite

Great find!

One aspect that has always been left with a large empty space is... how did so very much of Mars end up as meteorites on earth? That which is identified as coming from Mars is because of the atmosphere trapped inside the rock that matches the Martian atmosphere.

Of course, we can see on the martian surface many and various types of impact craters... and just from looking, it looks at though a huge portion of the surface has been either stripped away or laid flat sometime more recently than the rest of the pock-marked surface areas.

In some distant past, when Mars has more atmosphere, warmth and water, it looks as though it was either struck by a large body or had some violent interaction of one kind or the next. There have been a lot of theories over the years but... regardless of which you choose, they generally account for the large sum of Mars floating around the solar system to eventually land on Earth.

Again, great find and a subject near and dear to my heart. Thanx!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

LOTS of them.... I have been buying pieces when ever I can find them at an affordable price. Seems the Sahara desert is full of them and they are relatively easy to find in the sand. Just like the ones in Antarctica, they seem to rise up in the sand and lie on the surface (an effect I have seen here in the Nevada desert.)

The Berber tribesmen make quite an income seeking them out, but lately prices are going up as the tribesmen discover the value

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

is it too hard to understand the difference between lacking information

The reason many of us come here to ATS is because we seek information... So when information is presented, why do so many debunkers feel the need to attack it rather than take a moment to look at it subjectively? Just read most of the replies so far

Whether or not you lack the info to discuss it, the photo is NOT in question it is real. You only need your eyes to see it is an interesting object worthy of looking at

Do you not believe it's beneficial to provide opposing points of view and/or alternative explanations? It seems to me that you're not looking at this subjectively when you accuse those who do not believe the story so easily of attacking it.

Of course, this is typical of your attitude regarding anything you post. I recall a thread where you absolutely insisted that our solar system did not originate in the Milky Way galaxy even though the information had been previously debunked many times over.

Now you want to defend this "discovery" against anyone who would question it. Deny ignorance indeed.... but don't question the all knowing Zorgon.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
One aspect that has always been left with a large empty space is... how did so very much of Mars end up as meteorites on earth? That which is identified as coming from Mars is because of the atmosphere trapped inside the rock that matches the Martian atmosphere.

I have asked that MANY times...

It would require an impact large enough to launch debris into orbit, not only that but enough force to give it escape velocity...

Then these ejected debris rocks would need to get into an Earth trajectory... survive the reentry... and be found in the deserts or arctic wastelands

The atmosphere in the pockets would be representative of the atmosphere millions of years ago whe the rocks were formed

So all in all the odds are enormous that all these events happen so many times..

But hey, NASA wouldn't lie to us about the origin of these meteorites, would they?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
Deny ignorance indeed.... but don't question the all knowing Zorgon.

Great idea

So ad hominem is the best you could come up with on this rock? Hmmm kinda supports my point...

Thanks

Do you not believe it's beneficial to provide opposing points of view and/or alternative explanations?

There is a HUGE difference between an educated/informed opposing point of view and a debunk attack on information based solely on a skeptical opinion by a person who has no knowledge nor interest

I am sure any intelligent person on ATS can easily recognize the difference
edit on 9-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
Deny ignorance indeed.... but don't question the all knowing Zorgon.

Great idea

So ad hominem is the best you could come up with on this rock? Hmmm kinda supports my point...

Thanks

It's a rock now?

I thought that you said it was an egg?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Nice find, thanks for sharing!

Another day, another bit of evidence to add to the stack already out there. Maybe not long now.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

i'm not going to make statements about the actual content (I do lack the insights to do that in a rational way).
However both the scientist as the journal are not exactly trust worthy sources as has been debated here on other occasions.
just saying

Whilst I agree with you regarding the content and misleading title by the OP, the scientist (admittedly known for his controversial, but still scientifically reasonable, views) is pretty credible from an academic & current employment perspective.

www.buckingham.ac.uk...

Back on topic, I'm inclined to agree with several posters that I don't think many within the scientific community disbelieve life probably existed on Mars a long time ago and with clear evidence of frozen water currently at the poles there is a good chance it might exist now....without wanting to be clichéd 'life finds a way'. But I very much doubt it represents, or is even related to, the possibility of intelligent (by human standards) life forms and certainly not in the vein of John Lear or how the Ufology money making machine would have you believe.

It's NOT an egg, it IS an egg shaped globule. Massive difference.

edit on 9-5-2012 by timb3r because: Because of the wonderful Wizard of Oz.

edit on 9-5-2012 by timb3r because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
It's a rock now?

Fossils are generally classified as rocks... I am sure if you did the slightest amount of real research you could figure that out thus denying your own ignorance

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Interesting find Zorgon!

The formation of nearly spherical C-O rich spheres (discs are probably sections of spheres) within the mineral matrix is not easy to explain by any non-biological processes. Biology, on the other hand, can provide an elegant explanation of these structures.

Whilst I would applause any finding that could prove extra-terrestrial life outside Earth, I find however the explanations as why this egg-shaped mineral structure couldn't be explained by any non-biological process somewhat skimpy.
Any other in-depth study?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
It's a rock now?

Fossils are generally classified as rocks... I am sure if you did the slightest amount of real research you could figure that out thus denying your own ignorance

So now it's a fossilised egg.

OK.

Can you show me anywhere in the articles referenced in the OP where it says that this is a fossilised egg?

I only ask because the first reference only says "egg shaped" and the second article doesn't contain the word egg at all.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The atmosphere in the pockets would be representative of the atmosphere millions of years ago whe the rocks were formed So all in all the odds are enormous that all these events happen so many times.. But hey, NASA wouldn't lie to us about the origin of these meteorites, would they?

Would NASA lie? That's worthy of its own thread, lol!! (And I know it has more than a few already!)

But the alternatives... if the gas/comp of the rocks in question are reported accurately, lead to these things coming from either a planet in this system that no longer exists (the asteroid belt?) or from an origin outside our solar system... which seems a little unlikely that so much from so far would find its way to our small blue rock.

Mars seems logical such as it is...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It seems quite a few people on this thread have been led to believe it's an actual egg in the meteorite. But it's a globule that slightly resembles an egg in shape. Can we please change the thread title to something more accurate before this gets out of hand?

It's not an egg.

Also: Cool find!hopefully this, coupled with the re-examination of the Viking data, will show conclusively one way or another if there was life on Mars.
Thanks!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join