It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egg found in Martian Meteorite

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+79 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Egg found in Martian Meteorite

The Tissint Mars meteorite "egg"

SCIENTISTS claim this egg-shaped object is the final proof of life on Mars after finding it inside a meteorite from the Red Planet.

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe said the globule from the rock named Tissint is rich in carbon and oxygen and insisted they could only have been produced by living organisms.

He added that they could not have been caused by contamination when they fell to Earth.

Prof Wickramasinghe, 72 — famous for controversial ideas such as that the flu virus and even life itself was brought to our planet by comets — said: "It is impossible to understand how carbon-rich particles of such uniform sizes and shapes got inside a rocky matrix if they are not relics of some algal species.

"Tissint was collected weeks after it fell, and terrestrial contamination seems unlikely. In any case the structures we found were on newly fractured surfaces, from the interior of the meteorite."

The meteorite was named after the village where it came down in the Sahara desert in Morocco last July.

meteorito-meteorite.blogspot.com...

DISCOVERY OF BIOLOGICAL STRUCTURES IN THE TISSINT MARS METEORITE

Summary. Preliminary SEM/EDAX studies of the Tissint meteorite shows projections of interior spherical globules rich in C and O. Such concentrations of carbonaceous material in a matrix of mineral grains poses a mystery if biological processes are excluded. They are consistent with remnants of biological structures, thus supporting earlier similar claims for the Mars meteorite ALH84001..

Key Words: Meteorites, Mars meteorite, panspermia, exobiology

The Tissint meteorite, identified as a meteorite from Mars, fell onto the Morrocan desert some 30 miles south of the village of Tissint on June 18, 2011. Shattered pieces of the meteorite were recovered in October 2011, and is only just coming to be analysed and studied. A thick fusion crust that surrounds the meteorite fragments give confidence in the assertion that the interior material is pristine and uncontaminated. Its mineralogic characterisation as olivine-phyric shergottite of Martian origin appears to be well accepted, with a most likely origin in a relatively young lava regolith that solidified 400-500 million years ago. The meteorite has been found to contain pockets of Martian atmosphere which also confirms its Martian origin.

Official Paper:

journalofcosmology.com...
edit on 9-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Professor Chandra Wickramasinghe said the globule from the rock named Tissint is rich in carbon and oxygen and insisted they could only have been produced by living organisms.

If these elements exist outside of biological life, what makes them think this is FINAL proof of life on Mars? I'm not disputing the finding, or that there is, or was life on Mars, I just think a little clarification is needed as to why they feel that this is proof of anything.
edit on 9-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Here is another copy of the image with size reference from Hortonheardawho

www.flickr.com...
edit on 9-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I don't think there's any problem proving that life once existed on Mars.

The problem is proving that life still exists there...although really, I'm more interested in finding another Earth within viable transportation range.

It'll be hilarious to watch how long it take before we decide to conquer the planet.

+24 more 
posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
An egg was found?

SCIENTISTS claim this egg-shaped object is the final proof of life on Mars after finding it inside a meteorite from the Red Planet.

Nope. Another thread title fail.

edit on 9/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well I would like to say that this news is surprising, but I can't, so I won't

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
********** Case Tape 347 *********

guess it is true,,,

lol,, okydokey.

ohh
here,,
www.youtube.com...

Me.

link   
Official classification from LPI

Basic information Name: Tissint
This is an OFFICIAL meteorite name.
Abbreviation: There is no official abbreviation for this meteorite.
Observed fall: Yes
Year fell: 2011
Mass:help 7 kg
Classification - Recommended: Martian (shergottite)
This is 1 of 86 approved meteorites (plus 1 unapproved name) classified as Martian (shergottite).

www.lpi.usra.edu...

link   
wtf

I need more information on this. I dont remember reading about any of this.

In 2009, a NASA team claimed they had photographed Martian organisms inside another meteorite that is kept in London's Natural History Museum.

Their electron microscope showed a bumpy surface resembling a fossilised colony of microbacteria in a rock that fell from the sky in Nakhla, Egypt, in 1911.

The team from NASA's Johnson Space Centre examined the space rock to support their claims in 1996 that Martian bugs had been found in a meteorite, ALH84001, found in Antarctica where it had been lying for thousands of years.

That discovery, which NASA later officially backtracked from, was considered so important that President Clinton addressed the nation on TV.

Earlier this month, another group of scientists claimed that the first two Viking probes that NASA landed on Mars in 1976 discovered life but failed to recognise it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

i'm not going to make statements about the actual content (I do lack the insights to do that in a rational way).
However both the scientist as the journal are not exactly trust worthy sources as has been debated here on other occasions.
just saying

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Definitely looks like an egg. Is this brand new news out this week?

And just how big or small is 10 um?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Definitely looks like an egg. Is this brand new news out this week?

And just how big or small is 10 um?

Human hair is usually 25 - 50uM (microns or micrometres) thick.

edit on 9/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
********** Case Tape 347 *********

guess it is true,,,

lol,, okydokey.

ohh
here,,
www.youtube.com...

Me.

That was pretty great ... thanks for sharing.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
So the egg came first

Interesting, but not much to judge from.
My knowledge is not up to date on this topic

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Another sample of a Martian meteorite from the Tissint fall, which dropped chunks of the Red Planet in the Moroccan desert in July 2011.
CREDIT: © 2011 Darryl Pitt / Macovich Collection

www.space.com...

"There's at least 11 kilos [24 pounds]," Pitt told SPACE.com.

Pitt said he had acquired more than 4.4 pounds (2 kg) of Tissint meteorites. He has been trading and selling pieces to collectors, museums and researchers around the globe, at prices ranging from $8,500 per ounce to $28,350 per ounce ($300 to $1,000 per gram), depending on the sample.

As of Tuesday, gold was selling for about $1,650 per ounce ($58 per gram).

"It's pristine material," Pitt said. "Five hundred dollars and $600 a gram for a freshly fallen chunk of the planet Mars? I'd say that's a deal."

Oh great.... just what I needed... some idiot driving up the price
I was hoping to get a chunk before it went too high

link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Probably the main factors in how long it takes before an invasion after we find another Earth-like planet are logistics and whether or not there is anyone intelligent enough to classify it as an invasion instead of simply colonization. Of course if we did invade someone elses planet we'd call it colonization or exploration or peacekeeping anyways

link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

male or female? bald or goldilocks?

or do you mean width? if its width then its barely visible

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
i'm not going to make statements about the actual content (I do lack the insights to do that in a rational way).

So in other words, that means any opinion you have on this object is also untrustworthy

Just saying

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

How do they know its meterorite from Mars? And how does there become a meteroite from Mars here?
How often does Earth send a Meterorite to Mars? I don't see many of our rocks taking off into space, except for maybe that Yucatan impact incident that supposedly killed the dinasaurs... Have they brought rocks back from Mars yet? Is this how they know it was specifically from Mars?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Oh wow, that is awesome. Too bad we can't just put it in the incubator and wait for the chicken to pop out. Or can we? I understand why they believe biological processes formed this artifact, but there can be no certainty that it originated in a specific location in my opinion. We could establish the likelihood of origin, which is what science does in a lot of situations when absolutes are an impossibility. That picture actually made me kinda hungry for eggs. Gotta go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join