Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

12 Year Old Girl Forced To Have Head Shaved/Wear Diaper For Bad Grades, Mother Goes to Jail

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Mother arrested for forcing girl, 12, to wear diaper, shave head for bad grades, say police

The Star News
May 9, 2012

FRIDLEY, MINN.—A U.S. woman and her boyfriend shaved the head of her 12-year-old daughter and forced the girl to wear a diaper and run up and down outside their home because she wasn’t doing well at school, police said.

Police arrested the two Monday night on suspicion of malicious punishment of a child. Lieut. Mike Monsrud said they laughed as they were taken away and apparently didn’t understand why police had intervened. They told police they were punishing the girl because she had bad grades and failed to do her homework

A crowd of about 50 people had gathered to watch the girl, who was wearing only the diaper and a tank top and was begging to be let back inside her home near Minneapolis.

“When the officer found her, she was crying and hysterical,” Monsrud told the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The mother and boyfriend were in jail. The girl and three younger children were placed in foster care.

The Associated Press is not naming the adults to protect the identities of the children.

Really, what is the [bad] mother thinking? This is outrageous!

If children are failing to do their homework, they should not be punished this way. They don't know better. I am glad that the mother and boyfriend are in jail for this.

Those children deserve to be raised in a healthy and caring environment.

Toronto Sun News

The mother and her boyfriend were arrested and are being held in Anoka County jail. The pair could face charges.

Police said they had been called to the home four times in the past two years

So there seems to be a history behind this incident. Why wasn't action against the mother taken sooner???

StarTribune News

By that time about 25 people had gathered at the back of the girl's townhouse, which shares a lawn with other buildings. Carl Anderson, 28, said he had stepped out for a smoke at the back of his house when he saw kids coming around the corner and pointing out the girl.

On Tuesday, Anderson said he wished he had taken the girl into his home.

Campbell said he and several other neighbors eventually called the police and the girl was let into her house when officers arrived about 7:30 p.m.

"That's crazy...," he said. "I would never do that to my kids even if they did do something bad."

Officers had responded to four calls in the past two years at the family's townhouse in the 1600 block of 68th Avenue N., police said. At least one of the calls triggered notification to a county child protection worker, Monsrud said.

She said her mother had warned her that they would shave her head and make her wear a diaper if her grades didn't improve or she was late finishing her homework, said Monsrud.

Tyree Caruthers, 14, said it wasn't the first time he had seen the girl humiliated. He said that several months ago, while he was playing basketball, he saw the girl and her younger sister in diapers and picking up garbage at a nearby park.

^ I mean seriously, the mother forcing the girls to wear diapers in a nearby park? What cruelty. This event really is sad, it truely is.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added news

Minnesota News

If Broten and Landrum are convicted of the charges, they each face up to a year in jail and a $3,000 fine.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added photo

Daily Mail News

Scene: When Fridley police arrived on the 1600 block of 68th Avenue on Monday they found the girl wandering up and down this block in just a diaper and tank top

edit on 9-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: added quote
edit on 9-5-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: changed thread title

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
edit on 9/5/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

WTF? That's just crazy. I wonder how much worse those kids had it when the crazy wasn't out on the front lawn.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Parenting overkill methods not good. They are not thinking about what the child has to go thru when around peers.

link   
Bad parenting...It's as simple as that. Instead of trying to humiliate the poor child, they should have helped her with her schoolwork, and encouraged her to learn. Now she'll forever fear punishments like this when she makes mistakes...

I think they should shave the head of the mother and boyfriend and make them wear a diaper for a year....plus a decent amount of jail time. This is just the wrong way to treat an innocent child.

Edit: Upon further thought...Since shaving the boyfriend's head may not have as emotional impact as it would a woman, they should make him shave his legs too. That will look good with the diaper he should be wearing.
edit on 9-5-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by antonia

I just dug up more news about this story. It gets worse...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Please share.

link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I think they should shave the head of the mother and boyfriend and make them wear a diaper for a year....plus a decent amount of jail time. This is just the wrong way to treat an innocent child.

By doing so sets a bad example of punishment for children. Children learn if they see how punishment is done and then THEY do it to their children down the road.

I don't agree with you on this one, though. It's like you hit me and I'll hit you back. It solves nothing.

The mother and boyfriend need psychotherapy treatment. I would also suggest community service not in the vicinity of youth.

link   
I think both sides chose the path of excessive.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Please share.

I did, I added the news to my first post....do you see the "Edit because added news"????

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Than there was no sense in posting what I responded too

ETA: People like that are a reason why society is going down the drain. The poor kids will probably need counseling, possibly for life. Being humiliated, in public in front of peers... SMH
edit on 9-5-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Oh...I agree. It does set a bad example...but it's what they DESERVE. As a parent, their actions sicken me.

They need some serious help...and the child needs plenty of support to help her know that what was done to her was not right.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Their punishment of the 12 year old girl....is too severe, abusive and very humiliating. Now they are in jail and they are humiliated. The children are probably separated now and in different foster homes....where they may get lucky and get placed with some good people who will care about them....or.....unfortunately they may be placed in foster homes where they may be abused there too.

Whoever prays and believes in the power of prayer....I say pray for those children and their healing and safety.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I agree. Its a bit harsh to lock these morons up.

Its also a bit scary to see so many American's cheer for it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Definitely an example of extreme bad parenting here, but on the flip side, parents should be allowed to punish their children (obviously not in this manner) for issues such as these without fear of social services intervening.

In our household, you could either do homework or muck out the pigs on the farm. I was a straight A student.

link   

Originally posted by isyeye

Oh...I agree. It does set a bad example...but it's what they DESERVE. As a parent, their actions sicken me.

They need some serious help...and the child needs plenty of support to help her know that what was done to her was not right.

That's the same like invoking Sharia Law...

link   
Wow, I don't think any of us would be able to live for about 150 years ago, lol.

I know that is hard and disturbing to do against a child. There is nothing worse when you see parents ridiculing their own children. But for 150 years ago, it was pretty standard to get beaten by daddy, and get locked up.

Today, we know it can be controlled on a lot of other ways, but back then you didn't have the time to do it. It was just the easiest way, and hell, I know the kids learned that they shouldn't mess with papa.

But I'm glad to see these parents end up in jail, that is not the way to raise a child. But I do agree that kids sometimes, needs to see what really happens if you disobey them. I know not to get in the wrong zone with my dad, even though he never have hitted me before. My mom did give me five fingers on my cheek, but I guess I probably deserved it, lol.

But just never, ever ridicule your own kid.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

Originally posted by Skewed

I agree. Its a bit harsh to lock these morons up.

Its also a bit scary to see so many American's cheer for it.

Me personally, I would consider what the parents did child abuse. Lock them up, they deserve it. Especially considering that this isn't the first time that they've done something this despicable.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

The mother and boyfriend definitely have some serious issues. You have to wonder if they were abused themselves in their childhood by their parents?

It is just sickening to say the least. Definitely bad parenting. Maybe parenting learned in their childhood. Just a thought.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
moderation in all things, balance in all things. Spare the rod spoil the child, beat them too much and create a monster who will perpetuate the abuse...

This is a cycle, the moronic parent (and not-a-father) do what they do because they know nothing better and were probably treated the same or worse. They are fools and the so called mother needs help.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution