It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dodging Verizon's New $30 Upgrade Fee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Dodging Verizon's New $30 Upgrade Fee

www.smartm oney.com

In recent weeks, Verizon started charging existing customers $30 to upgrade to a new phone when they renew their contract. AT&T and Sprint charge $36 and $18 for the same thing, respectively, so one might forgive Verizon for just doing what everyone else is doing. But Verizon's excuse for adding the charge is pretty rich. The millions the company rakes in from the fee will be used to offer customers "wireless workshops" and "online educational tools," among other things...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I guess I am pretty upset because I have been a loyal customer to Verizon for years and never had this issue. As of April 22, 2012, they have started to charge existing customers $30 to upgrade their cell phones.

While many may find this acceptable and reasonable, I find it reprehensible and uncouth because Verizon does not put a disclaimer of the new charges up front but rather waits until you are in the online checkout queue to hit you with it.

I have always upgraded my phones when they were "due' for an upgrade but I now ask myself "why upgrade when they prompt you to do so if you don't have to upgrade". It makes no sense to do so unless your phone is inoperable or is faulty.

www.smartm oney.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What do they say when the customer says.

"drop the fee or lose a customer"

Oh, who am I kidding. People will pay it to have their gadget fix. Worse than friggen drugs.

Where do people get this false sense of loyalty.

I am not coming down on you OP, but it is just the same typical story.

Companies raise prices because they can, people moan and groan and then pay it. Wash, rinse and repeat.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
We recently just did an upgrade, but in person, in a VZ wireless store. We simply had them go down on the price of the upgrade phone, and it more than offset the $30 fee. We saved quite a bit on a few accessories we wanted also, as they were clearance.

I will say this much though. ALWAYS get the insurance. On our other phone, this was a godsend, and yes, if you gripe enough, you can get a loaner to use in the meantime. We did this, and they had the repaired phone (the other one, not the one we were upgrading) back to us within 2 business days. (while using the loaner in the meantime).

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Sounds like a good plan. I guess I will print out my options and go down to the store and haggle a good deal. I don't mind paying for an upgrade but I always try to get the best deal possible.

new topics

top topics

join