It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curious, quantum manifestation of nothings - not news a query.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by moebius

Are you serious? Look up the definition of the term annihilation in the context of particle physics.

That was a pretty discourteous reply to a polite and genuine request for information, I must say.

Virtual particle pairs do not emit other particles when they mutually annihilate; that would be a case of spontaneous creation, something out of nothing. Only real particles mutually annihilate to form other particles. Here is a a discussion of the subject in Physics Forums. And here's another, in which one of the participants makes exactly the same mistake you're making – confusing virtual particles with real ones – and is corrected by some of the others.

Thanks to Tesla & Lyme for helping with the search.

None of us knows everything, and even the greatest theoretical physicists are wrong more often than they are right. It is no shame to be wrong. Your impertinent dismissal of me was boorish, clueless and uncalled for. What a pity; I actually had some respect for you earlier. I have none now.

edit on 11/5/12 by Astyanax because: a proper reprimand was in order.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Would you please be so kind to show where I've stated that the annihilation product(photon) is actually emitted/real? It is just an interpretation.

The second link you have posted states that it is incorrect. I am fine with this.

But then speaking of particle pair creation and using the term annihilation in context of virtual particles is also complete bullocks. As you've stated before the whole virtual particles is just a construct to help fitting some phenomena into existing model. Maybe it should be treated strictly as such?

PS:
It is just a discussion, no need to get emotional. And you are of course free to disrespect anyone you want. LOL.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join