It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA review favors first drug for HIV prevention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

[url=http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HIV_PREVENTION_DRUG_FDA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-05-08-17-55-10]hosted.ap.org[/ url]

AP Photo
Health Video

Advertisement

Multimedia
When Drugs Stop Working
Lone Protestor Rallies Ohio City Against Drugs
From Drug Addict to Counselor
Documents
CDC Report on Sexual Behavior and Drug Use
Latest News
Summary Box: FDA panel vote on HIV prevention drug
Summary Box: Hoped-for cholesterol drug scrapped
Roche scraps hoped-for cholesterol blockbuster
Roche pulls plug on hoped-for cholesterol drug

Interactives
Holocaust Papers
Latest News
Summary Box: FDA panel
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Um, isn't this a little like taking a pill because you smoke to prevent lung cancer?

Why not just STOP the action you are taking that puts you at risk of getting AIDS to begin with?

This is the drug industry's attempt to yet put another pill out there to generate income.

If you are engaging in activities that are at risk of putting your life endanger, take a pill. It will solve the problem!

[url=http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_HIV_PREVENTION_DRUG_FDA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-05-08-17-55-10]hosted.ap.org[/ url]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Because they can make a ton of money if an ailment can be treated indefinitely rather than just cured.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If this can actually prevent HIV, we're getting closer to stopping viruses outright

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
No

I won't stop being a first response medic
I won't stop treating battlefield casualties (yes you even treat the enemy if wounded)
I won't stop performing cunnilingus

Think about it dude
There are plenty of jobs and situations where this pill is going to be of benefit
And as someone's already posted this is a step towards an availible cure and treatment
Which can only be a good thing

Tin hat on
But it'll only mysteriously mutate any way
I stand by my long time belief, and that of many others
HIV is man made, a 'cure' probably already exists but you can't mess with one of the population control measures

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This link have more information of the news FDA already approved drug for prevention of HIV.

www.chron.com...

This drug is a everyday pill that you have to take for life.

The drug is part of a cocktail given to people that are already infected with HIV.

The drug was found to help those that are infected with less chances of having the virus spread.

It is used mostly on already bisexual and homosexual men as a prevention.

The name of the drug is Truvada and is a mix of two drugs Emtriva and Viread. is been around since the 94 but recently studies shows its capabilities as a preventive drug.

Still the claim is that can prevent HIV 44% and slow HIV also.

Now the big pharma cartel wants to sell the drug as a preventative for everybody

I will not trust pharma motives as this drug was used for high risk males no the general population.

In other words they want to promote a drug that will allow you to stop safe sex habits because a pill can keep you HIV safe by 44% how about other 66%. I guess they can get infected and get into big pharma gravy train for live.

top topics

join