It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad posting habits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
What are some of the problems that you see in member�s posts? I am not speaking of a specific entry, but rather posting habits that are best to avoid if you really want your post to be read. Here are some that drive me up the wall and because of which I often will not even bother deciphering the meaning or reading it at all.

Quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes

By Tom
I can't tell you how much I like coffee. Yesterday I was at the store and an alien urinated on my shoe. They never did give me a receipt for my purchase.

By Dick
My favorite type of aliens are the blue ones in the M&M packs. They are involved in mind control you know! I think the AARP is actually involved with HAARP.

By Harry
M&Ms are not as good as Mars bars so just shut up!

I�m on my coffee break, not my lunch break! If a point or statement is to be referred to then only quote that sentence or small section that is of relevance. If I wanted to dig through all the fluff then I would have brought my cyber shovel.

Punctuation & capitalization
if you want to construct a run on sentence that is your choice but understand that i will probably cerebrally suffocate because of not being able to take a breath of �mental air� between sentences and without capitalization i will be utterly clueless as to where anything either begins or ends i should also mention that having a long post with no division of paragraphs will earn you a free bitch slap from yours truely

1�m just 2 k00!
1f 1 w@nt3d 2 br@k3 @ my5ter1ous c0d3 1t w0u1d n0t b3 y0ur p05t!

Excessive religious quoting
Are you attempting to promote a point of view or convert me? I don�t even bother reading these. Please, pretend I am a moronic heathen and break it down for me in simple language. Go God!

Caps Lock
WHY ARE YOU SO ANGRY AND WHO THE HELL ARE YOU YELLING AT! YOUR POST IS NOT SO INTELLECTUALLY SIGNIFIGANT THAT IT NEEDS TO OVERSHADOW EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE PAGE.

So anything else drive you nuts that you can give an example of?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
i admit, i am guilty of not capitalizing when necessary. why should have to stretch my pinky all the way to the "shift" key just so you know i am starting a sentence.

but seriously i do have a problem with capitalization especially when referring to myself, maybe it's me trying to be humble or maybe i'm just crazy, i don't know, but most of the times whenever i talk about i, i can't help it, i can't find it in myself to capitolize, well except when it's ATSNN, then i get all proper.

as for the quotes within a quote, i agree, that is annoying and sometimes it does go overboard and the same for capslocks but i can't think of anything else

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If there is one thing I've learned from the Internet, it's that no one likes to spell properly ever, and when writing, they try to cut as many corners as possible. I don't know what half of the acronyms mean. I'm pretty sure people just make them up as they go along. But it all comes down to TIME. No one has enough time anymore. They want to get their opinion out to the world as soon as possible, and they won't let something as lame as grammar get in their way.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN

about the multiple quoting
and underscores

& th3 l337

And I have just realised that I broke the commandment that says Thou shalt not steal Jonna's idea.

SO I'LL JUST SOD OFF NOW AND HAVE A

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I tell you what i am guilty of and i think people hate... spelling errors... i am a good speller, but if i'm in a rush or have inspiration, i'll just type and type and tpye and post... Grammar and caps are a problem for me too... oh and i hate people who sensor their own swearing... the site does that for you! I turned off sensors so i could read peoples profanities... they amuse me (after all they are just words)

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Unless it is the title of a thread, honest spelling errors don't bother me all that much. I usually cut and paste my post from Word to ATS/BTS if it is longer then a few sentences.

Like many, SpellChecker has destroyed my ability to spell...or perhaps just hampered my desire to learn to remember the spelling of words.

posted on Sep, 30 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I just censor myself because my posts sound funny if I don't. For example: This is stupid as #. Can't stand those dumb #s who don't do this. Maybe I would give a # if they'd just stop #ing around.

If you have your censors on, you know what I mean. It would look like "This is stupid as. Can't stand those dumb who don't do this. Maybe I would give a if the'd just stop around.

I put in a "F-". Or a "Sh-"

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think you forgot one liners.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
How about people who think they have really helped you, or bested you in the arena of debate, and they didn't even get your point!?!?!?

Or the folks like me who post blocs of text because we cannot find our diaries?

btw/ IMHO U R thu Shizz!e, J0NNA

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Herman...

Is that what it really looks like without sensors?

Thats just #ing ridiculous!

so that was

'thats just ridiculous!'

so

# # # # #

is just viewed as

' '

Please excuse the profanities but this really intrigues me that the sensoring system on this site sux so much...

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotTooHappy
I think you forgot one liners.

I was just about to say that.

new topics

top topics

join