It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP plans East Coast missile defense shield

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
GOP plans East Coast missile defense shield
The Hill -- 05/08/12 10:45 PM ET

Republicans have come up with a missile defense plan that will install a shield on the U.S. east coast.

Democrats are shouting that it is all politics and an attempt to somehow undermine Obama's national-security "credentials".

Republicans cite Iran's "rising threat" and as well as "a gap" in U.S. missile defenses.

Democrats are arguing cost.

A new Republican plan to set up a missile defense site on the East Coast has attracted election-year fireworks, with Democrats accusing the GOP of pushing the idea to undercut President Obama’s national-security credentials.

Democrats say Republicans are playing politics, but GOP members hit back saying the site is necessary to get ahead of the rising threat of Iran’s missile development and to plug a gap in U.S. missile defenses.

The issue is shaping up to be one of the most contentious at Wednesday’s House Armed Services Committee markup, where Democrats are planning multiple amendments to try to strip out $100 million that was included to jump-start the East Coast site.

The Republican proposal calls for the East Coast site, which would be the third in the country, to be operational by the beginning of 2016.

Democrats contend the total cost would be $4 billion. Republicans counter that the price tag would be half of that amount.

Is the U.S. east coast really vulnerable to attack from land missiles or submarines ?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Who is supposed to be firing missiles at us?

China? Iran? Al-Quaeda? Syria? USSR part deux?

This fear of spooks has gotten soundly and completely out of hand.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'd rather have my tax money go to national defense like it is supposed to than social justice programs.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Who is supposed to be firing missiles at us?

China? Iran? Al-Quaeda? Syria? USSR part deux?

This fear of spooks has gotten soundly and completely out of hand.

At some point every day, I put on CNN or Fox. It's a little bit disturbing hearing how many people are talking about the "enemies" of the US, and how they need so much more for the military budget. The military budget is already extremely large.
And they want more money...
China, Russia, N. Korea, the entire middle east, some of Africa, etc.
If a country really has so many enemies, one has to wonder - why?
Politics? Or are they just trying to convince the people so they have more war toys?

I don't remember hearing Canadian news talking about our "enemies". I don't know if we have any...maybe North Korea?
Although, they do mention Iran, and some of the middle east as enemies of the US....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a lot of the people who vote own missle stocks

question
how you gonna pay for this as the democrats say..
you just shot the missle budget wad buying Israel a billion dollars of their own missles
edit on 9-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

ask any Canadian
our only enemy is our own government[s]

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You know, I was just thinking the other day...with all the missles getting into the United States...what we really need to spend a ton of money on right now in this down economy where we are looking at ways to cut spending is a very expensive missle defense shield.

Then I woke up from that nightmare...but it appears some Republicans really think this is a good idea.

new topics

top topics

join