It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people quickly disregard the mystery of the UFO/Alien phenomena?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Same reason leprechauns, unicorns, fairy's, werewolves and vampires are disregarded..... They are all mythical and cannot be proven to exist...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

As far as Dr. James E. McDonald is concerned, he argued for further study, and said an extraterrestrial explanation was plausible. He did not state it was definitive. He was also wrong on other things, such as Supersonic transport planes, which he testified would harm the ozone layer. He was a smart man, and what he went through was tragic, but he was very wrong on the SST, and other things.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have seen a few UFOs and that cannot be explained with current aircraft that the public is aware of, the best one I saw was mentioned on The Paul Harvey radio show.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybersk8er
For instance, a person will see something unknown that cannot be explained and will go "that was weird, dunno what that was" then go back to whatever they were doing, and never thought about it again. Why don't they ever ponder about it?

how do you know this happens?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cybersk8er

I guess I'm an optimistic skeptic. I do think there is a phenomenon occurring, but I'm not convinced it is extra-terrestrial. I think it's far more likely dimensional. The sheer distance they would have to travel is extraordinary.

However, trace evidence, sightings, and testimony in many cases appears authentic. I can't simply dismiss that as nothing. Something that is very real and intelligent - that evades our detection - in our reality exists - and we can't explain it. For me, that thought is terrifying. I know if I saw an alien, I'd be frightened, for everyone. Extraterrestrial or dimensional. I'd turn tail and run.

Strange times.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I guess I'm an optimistic skeptic. I do think there is a phenomenon occurring, but I'm not convinced it is extra-terrestrial. I think it's far more likely dimensional. The sheer distance they would have to travel is extraordinary.

How do you know? Personally I'm skeptical of anything strange going on at all regarding this enigma due to (IMO) lack of any convincing data. But I'm, without doubt, open to the possibility! There could be intelligent life on/ in Mars or the moon, as examples, for all we know. What will we (us humans) be capable of in 500 years time? Maybe there are sentient races much closer than we seem to think who are around 500 years more technologically advanced than us that are quite capable of getting here!? Who knows? I don't, that's for sure

Peace.

dej...
edit on 9-5-2012 by dejarmaX because: wrong quote

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dejarmaX

How do you know? Personally I'm skeptical of anything strange going on at all regarding this enigma due to (IMO) lack of any convincing data. But I'm, without doubt, open to the possibility! There could be intelligent life on/ in Mars or the moon, as examples, for all we know. What will we (us humans) be capable of in 500 years time? Maybe there are sentient races much closer than we seem to think who are around 500 years more technologically advanced than us that are quite capable of getting here!? Who knows? I don't, that's for sure

Peace.

dej...
edit on 9-5-2012 by dejarmaX because: wrong quote

I don't know anything for sure. I'm open to possibility, and fairly certain I will wake to the same old new tomorrow! No extraterrestrials, no evil empire. I guess that is what keeps me interested. The possibilities. I'm not one of those who claim extra-terrestrial contact. I've never had a close encounter, but I've seen UFO's. Only a few so far in my lifetime. However, I am fairly familiar with the occult, it's techniques and tried many in my day. I'm convinced there are other levels or dimensions of reality because of experiences that I have had that I think were authentic.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by jaws1975

Where to begin...
How about Mack, here is a quote from him.

"I would never say, yes, there are aliens taking people..."

Do there is one of your sources dead.
news.bbc.co.uk...

I have seen the NASA footage, there is no aliens, please specify what footage.
Two dead.

Roswell, no proof at all, only conjecture, your belief does not necessitate fact.
Three.

Rendlesham Forest
www.ianridpath.com...
Four.

Bible ... sorry, but no. Your desire to twist the Bible into something you want it to be does not mean it is true. In fact your interpretation would negate any validity the Bible has.
Five.

So your proof is a press conference? I'll pass.

I have also learned people will choose to believe what they want, as you will no doubt demonstrate shortly.
edit on 8-5-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

How about you quote what he really said instead of cherry picking!

"I would never say, yes, there are aliens taking people. [But] I would say there is a compelling powerful phenomenon here that I can't account for in any other way, that's mysterious. Yet I can't know what it is but it seems to me that it invites a deeper, further inquiry."

Point 1, not dead!

I don't know what more you want, they clearly say alien spacecraft! Point 2 not dead!

Roswell....the funny thing is that once you say something publicly you can't take it back!
link

On July 8, 1947, the Roswell Army Air Field (RAAF) public information officer Walter Haut in Roswell, New Mexico, issued a press release[3] stating that personnel from the field's 509th Bomb Group had recovered a crashed "flying disk" from a ranch near Roswell, sparking intense media interest.

Point 3 still not dead!

Your Rendlesham link is classic disinfo! One of the main points they raise is the lighthouse being responsible for the lights. This has already been proven false, the lighthouse has blinders that only allow the light to go out to sea. Point 4 convoluted, but definitely not dead!

Certainly the bible is full of allegorical story's, however in ezekiel a mechanical object is described and seems to fit the characteristics of a UFO. Not really my strongest point, cause it is the bible after all but thought that it was interesting enough to mention. So me being the gentleman I am, I will give you that one point 5 is dead!

My "proof" is not the disclosure project, it is just evidence like all the other evidence that is out there take it or leave it!

My point to all this is not to have a pi**ng contest, but to have an honest discussion about what is going on, so let's call it a truce and agree to disagree.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cybersk8er

It is officially called by psychologists "cognitive dissidence."

The recognized ability of a mind to deny why one literally knows is true because it already has made its mind up about the matter. It is an ego protective gimmick.

I'll remind most of the prior reponses here that ya'al take the position that the one denying the experience is some one that did not experience it. The OP was specifically referring to someone that personally had the experience.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Some people simply only believe what they can feel, touch, see or what science can positively explain and correlate. Others simply have a blasé attitude and are happy with "oh that was weird, ah whatever" This isn't a bad thing, just mean, some, may say, they live in the moment, and things such as an odd encounter, doesn't effect their life or thinking as they would simply rather not corrupt their life, mind with such obsessions that they will never fully comprehend, explain, or proof or disproof.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

ev·i·dence/ˈevədəns/
Noun:
The available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Please note the keyword "facts", and the absence of "theory", "opinion", and "assumption".

Like I said, there is no evidence.

You made my point for me, thanks! "body of facts OR INFORMATION"! Convenient that you use one half of the definition to try to prove your point!

There seems to be a clear misunderstanding on the difference between evidence and proof. The only people on this thread that have used the word proof are the ones flaming me.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Personally, because there is just too much of it.

Too many "good" threads with lots of evidence, as well as Too many that are a waste of time.
And, there will probably be "other doom" before there is alien "doom", and even if that doom isn't exactly doomy, something else will probably occur sooner that will require our attention. Like say for example.....FUKUSHIMA..

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Aliensun --- A very good point. Some people...will also tend to deny too themselves or others, that they had an other-worlder alien starship sighting, because of their fear of ridicule or chastisement. Others....cannot believe that an other-worlder starship could look so alien and strange too them --- that when they look at the alien starship --- they will try to shrug it off as some natural object like birds, meteorites, ball lightning, etc etc. Some people will refuse to believe... that what they saw, was a real unidentified alien starship --- because they cannot believe that an alien race could be so vastly superior in starship technology than his/her own race.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 9-5-2012 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 9-5-2012 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 9-5-2012 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I think the one overriding reason why many do not wish to engage seriously with the subject is because it's acquired a reputation for being so ridiculous that it is beyond being studied. Of course that reputation pretty much came after such things as the Robertson Panel and the Condon Report. On the latter, the head of the committee behind it, physicist Edward Condon had already made his mind up that it was not worth the time to investigate. And since then, it's pretty much informed the conventional scientific view on the subject; the de facto authority. The ridicule and scorn that's been heaped on the subject has been greatly 'enhanced' by the media which of course rubs off on the general populace. I'm baffled by it as I always thought that job of science was to investigate and prove/disprove various hypotheses and theories. Regardless of what our irrational selves think of it. Given the number of eyewitness reports, particularly from very credible sources such as civilian and military pilots. One has to ask why science hasn't looked into the matter further. The COMETA Report was a step in the right direction but unfortunately since then. There hasn't been any desire nor action by anyone in mainstream science to broach the subject and propose further rigourous study.

In addition, there are those on the fringe element who haven't helped. There's a certain force or rather farce within Ufology which subscribes to the idea that every unexplained sighting is extra-terrestrial in origin. That there's a government cover-up at every corner. One which proposes that alleged cases of alien abduction is evidence of actual physical contact with E.T life. However, this dogmatic approach to skewing one's view to reach a pre-determined conclusion is not solely reserved to the hard-line believers. But also to debunkers who apply an equal amount of dogma to their belief that absolutely none of the unexplained cases can amount to the possibility of extra-terrestrial visitation. So it's already 'case closed' for them. In such a lunatic and polarised environment, it's no wonder why many cannot fully engage with this undoubtedly fascinating subject.

I often wonder about such cases as the 1990 Belgian incident, the 1976 Tehran incident and the 1986 Alaska JAL incident. Where I do think to myself...there might, just might be something there.
edit on 9/5/12 by Retro~Burn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join