It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep.: Let troops, chaplains openly oppose gays

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

o domestic abuse (both parties involved choose to live that way)
o alcoholism - it is a disease not a choice
o drug use - same as alcoholism
o violence - some people are just born sociopathic

These behaviors can actually damage people. Being Gay does not cause damage to other people (or to one's self) therein lies the difference. You don't get to engage in behavior that puts others at risk or will destroy your body.
edit on 9-5-2012 by antonia because: being nice

edit on 9-5-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Freedom of expression.

Chaplains should be free to voice their opinion on gays and lesbians.

Gays and lesbians should be free to express their opinions as well.

Just having one side shut up because the other side has thin skin is wrong.

Life isn't fair. People won't aways agree. And making people shut it so their is no disagreement only builds resentment.

Grow up, both sides!

And deal with it like grown-ups.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

When the "vast majority" of the worlds population can heal the sick, feed the hungry and raise the dead, it will matter. Until then? It's fantasy roleplaying.

The anti-gay position is bad for unit cohesion and is therefore a hindrance to the mission. Ergo -- it must be rooted out and destroyed. The military is expensive enough already without a lot of mumbo jumbo panty holding.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You knew the church didn't accept what you were doing when you started doing it and now because it's the military you're surprised? You're entitled to a place to worship but it says nothing about making that place of worship bend to your will. If you don't like what the religion you're practicing has to say, find a new religion or create a religion or don't be religious. Look I don't care what you choose to do in your bedroom, but don't act surprised when people don't accept your choice - they don't have to. And just because dont ask dont tell has ended doesn't mean you run around and tell everyone you meet. You're there to be a solider and people shouldn't be forced to accept your lifestyle. There are those to flat out think it goes against nature and who's to argue with them? Let people have their own opinion.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jagermeister

Are there gay and lesbian chaplains in the ranks? They do exist, but I doubt they are on staff in the military and embedded in with the troops. So the G & L that believe in God deserve to be guided by the troop chaplain also.

If you can't act like a good caring chaplain to all, maybe you should not be a chaplain.(WWJD) In regard to enlisted, they don't have to like everyone, but they do have to be tolerant, it takes many to make an army.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

As I've noted on each message I've written on this thread, I agree with Anti-Gay being counter-productive. I felt 100% the opposite before the changes in regulations and law. However.. here is the thing...

When the left side of politics get things passed into law or through the courts, I am exected to sit here and deal with it. I do that, too. Oh..not without some real noise occasionally, but the rule of law must be respected....not only when we like it, right? If not, we have nothing to stand for at all. We just have bumper sticker slogans ands nice intentions to parade of the 4th every year.

Also, as previously noted...Anti-Gay attitudes on display to any degree, under this new reality, need to he handled directly and as harshly as the situation demands. At this point? badgering someone in the barracks for being gay is no different than doing it for being black.

Oh..the REAL differences are there, so please..no one start playing Gotcha. To the law and the reality of how everyone must follow it though, there IS no difference. Hate for a gay, black, Chinese or Martian without proper ID are all ugly, sad and ultimately self destroying things....

Why even go there against Gays...-OR-...the 'Men of the Cloth', trying to spread their Faith as they see it, to those who are requesting that guidance and council? It's too much that they not have to check a Federal Law book before writing their Sermon for Sunday?

edit on 9-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Freedom of religion cannot be limited no matter what, even if you are in federal government work. There is no clause in the constitution that says you are not allowed to be a certain religion.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Freedom of religion cannot be limited no matter what, even if you are in federal government work. There is no clause in the constitution that says you are not allowed to be a certain religion.

Yes, that would be my understanding as well. They just started a war with the Catholic Church over this very same thing in trying to make forced changes into the operations of health coverages matters.. Not a topic I want to cross chat into...but I think this might be another approach at the same thing when that one failed.

So much of what Obama is doing is brilliant and people sell him short. He isn't accomplishing much, on the surface, but just as Bush had to lay the foundations after 9/11 before Obama could do this much, maybe Obama is laying the rest for another President? What he is doing is setting precedents though. By setting those precedents in seeming small and meaningless ways, he's not even drawing a lot of attention. This story is an example.

Yet, the precedent will still be very real as something to argue for the justification of more, later. We need to stop debating about degrees of violation from the Federal Government and simply say No. When things are back under some rsemblence o control, it's a great time to start adressing some serious issues our society has had.

However, this is like citing someone for profane language.......on the deck of the Titanic. Let's stop the ship from sinking before we keep side tracking on every social issue our nation has outstanding, all in one term. The flow of new topics out of media and Government with serious money and effort, so as to be more than press conferences is becoming very effective in distracting people from even the important things... When the ship isn't sinking anymore, this still isn't a job for Uncle Sam, and never was.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
over 1/3 of rapes in the military are by men upon other men who seem less masculine or assertive

dont ask dont tell creates such hostile environment where if you be yourself but not allowed to, you may be raped/hazed/killed for it once its surfaces

how ironic, no? epidemic of gays in the military raped by supposedly straight men. that says it all what the problem is, not the gays but the high level of sexual frustrastration from this don't ask, don't tell atmosphere - in the military as well as society at large.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

I'd just note two things here.

First... Where Male-Male rape fits into a thread about Chaplains and their freedom to discuss the Homosexual areas of teaching to Faiths is a little baffling. If I drop my P.C. glasses for a moment, I THINK I see the connection, I'm just trying to ignore it. It's an ugly suggestion. Rape...Gay Men..Gays in Military. Yeah. Ugly connections..and entirely without basis in any way, IMO.

Second, Rape has been accepted by the Medical and Law Enforcement community as a crime of control, brutality and power. Not sexual gratification. I've always thought that is a little too narrow and the sexual motivation plays a role often enough...but it's like trying to understand an alien culture. I'll take the expert's word for this one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join