It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Watt LED Light Bulb Debuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
About time someone made this available to the public...

no mercury to deal with or calling hazmat if you drop one...

probably be a little pricy at first, but still well worth it IMHO...

General Electric today introduced a 100-watt equivalent LED bulb which is the clearest example yet of how high-tech lighting has become. The company’s Energy Smart LED bulb consumes 27 watts to give off the same amount of light as a 100-watt incandescent lamp. It will be released in the first half of next year
. The price has not yet been set. GE’s announcement, made at the Light Fair industry conference in Las Vegas, shows how lighting manufacturers have finally cracked one of the toughest challenges in LED lighting — making lamps able to give off a lot of light in all directions. Philips today also introduced its 100-watt equivalent, as did Sylvania; both products are extensions of existing product lines and are due this summer.
The bulb will give off 1,600 lumens, has even light distribution, and a color temperature of 3000 Kelvin, which is white light. It’s rated for almost 23 years at 3 hours per day and is dimmable. Price, though, remains a challenge for broader consumer acceptance, even though LEDs pay for themselves in energy savings over their lifetime. Depending on the brightness, general-purpose LED lamps range from under $20 to $50 for Philip’s high-end LPrize LED. GE’s 9-watt LED bulb, designed to replace a 40-watt incandescent, is priced at about $50 but is available for $36 on Amazon.The push for more efficient bulbs in the U.S. stems from a 2007 law requiring higher efficiency starting in the 100-watt incandenscent bulb categor

source
edit on 8-5-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
OR a law could be implemented witch made it so that light bulb company's have to produce light bulbs witch last 100+ years.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The fact that these are drop in replacement that can be used with dimmable wall switches is huge.

CFL need a special ballast and dimmer for dimming usage.

Also an instantaneous light instead of waiting for a CFL to warm up to maximum lumen is a nice benefit.

Have you ever observed a CFL trying to light up in a cold environment. Take forever to reach full light

50 bucks is steep but just like all tech the price will drop.

Not to incandescent prices but it will drop

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Do you have a source for your embedded text?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

looks like here

news.cnet.com...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

The Phillips bulbs are better. Go for them, I've tested a few. The Phillips bulb looks yellow but puts out light just like and incandescent. The other brands are more like spotlights kind of, while the Phillips bulbs in a lamp work great.

I got interested in this a few months ago and started researching before I bought since they cost so much. Only the Phillips bulbs I tried were up to snuff and I found other places who had the same results.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

Do you have a source for your embedded text?

yes, sorry i just added it .....
edit on 8-5-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

The Phillips bulbs are better. Go for them, I've tested a few. The Phillips bulb looks yellow but puts out light just like and incandescent. The other brands are more like spotlights kind of, while the Phillips bulbs in a lamp work great.

I got interested in this a few months ago and started researching before I bought since they cost so much. Only the Phillips bulbs I tried were up to snuff and I found other places who had the same results.

cool..Thanks Blaine..

I'm going to look into these my self..

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Before we get the naysayer posts about how expensive these things are...

I purchased some of the first florescent bulbs that were available and some of the first LED bulbs that were available. I have not had to replace one yet. I would purchase this bulb for 50 bucks, it would probably last me until I was old and retired.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I doubt the price on these bulbs will ever get below $10.
Here's why.

Can you think of any electronic item that lasts for 20+ years? Once most (90%) people replace their CFL and older bulbs the market will dry up. It's not like they will be able to get us to upgrade to the latest and greatest LED bulb every few years. Factories will close the doors if they can't run at full speed.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I wonder if it would put out enough heat and be suitable to use for my reptiles' heat lamps. 100 watts of a regular bulb are what they're on right now as a heat source, along side a large uvb bulb. I'm always having to replace the heat bulbs since they burn out fast (being left on for 10hr a day doesn't help), this would be a nice solution. Thanks for posting!

new topics

top topics

join