It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Santorum's bound delegates now released since he publicly endorse Romney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have looked a bit for the answer, but haven't been able to find it through all the other stuff out there.. It seems logical to me that once you endorse another candidate, then your campaign is no longer "suspended" but rather it is "ended and your delegates are released. Of course, I do believe that once we get to the National Convention, if Santorum removes his name from the ballot, then his delegates become unbound

.Thoughts?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Since he endorsed Romney, his delegates would naturally go to Romney.

Doesn't matter anyway, Romney just picked up another 100 delegates in his 3 State sweep today so he only needs about 120 more and the road to acclamation is complete. Once the magic number is reached it is over, there will be no delegate voting.

Romney was on Hannity tonight as the candidate with no opponents left.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I guess it all depends on how big the check is from Romney....

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Doesn't matter anyway, Romney just picked up another 100 delegates in his 3 State sweep today so he only needs about 120 more and the road to acclamation is complete. Once the magic number is reached it is over, there will be no delegate voting.

No, Santorum has to release his delegates. Or he has to end his campaign as of right now it is suspended.

So in states where Santorum has bound delegates, the vote goes to Santorum. The State GOP can however vote to unbind the delegates prior to the national convention. However if the State has already had it's convention then they remain bound.

The common misconception is that a candidate who releases his delegates automatically gives them to the nominee. This is not true, the truth is they are free agents to vote for who ever they want. So In the case of Santorum and Gingrich as well as Huntsman, they usually don't release the delegates if Romney has a primary competitor still at the national convention. In this case it is Ron Paul. Should they release the delegates, then those delegates could vote for Ron Paul.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by robwerden

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

No, Santorum has to release his delegates. Or he has to end his campaign as of right now it is suspended.

So in states where Santorum has bound delegates, the vote goes to Santorum. The State GOP can however vote to unbind the delegates prior to the national convention. However if the State has already had it's convention then they remain bound.

The common misconception is that a candidate who releases his delegates automatically gives them to the nominee. This is not true, the truth is they are free agents to vote for who ever they want. So In the case of Santorum and Gingrich as well as Huntsman, they usually don't release the delegates if Romney has a primary competitor still at the national convention. In this case it is Ron Paul. Should they release the delegates, then those delegates could vote for Ron Paul.

There won't be any delegate voting, Romney will win by acclamation because the only other candidates that won States have already endorsed him.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

Thank you!...I knew that they did just get awarded to the person whom he endorsed. Just couldn't figure out at what point that they become unbound. I thought I read something several days ago that if he takes his name from consideration at the convention, then they become unbound and free to support whomever they wish. I will try to find that again.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Now I found it. From the Washington Post:

"84 were won in five states that award their delegates in nonbinding contests.
That means that the delegates from those five states — Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota, Washington state and North Dakota – had already been free to vote for any candidate at the convention and remain free to do so." and

"If Santorum had ended his campaign, then his bound delegates would have become unbound."

link.[editb y]edit on 8-5-2012 by pandora0629 because: typo

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

There won't be any delegate voting, Romney will win by acclamation because the only other candidates that won States have already endorsed him.

Even in nominations where there is already a guarantee of delegates there is always a vote. It is required by RNC rules that they vote no matter what.
Please read the GOP rules before posting incorrect information, all it does is confuse people.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join