It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Pentagon Leak shows UK War plans were drawn up before Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
An alleged leaked document from the Pentagon published by the London Evening Standard shows British Military commanders took part in a war planning conference with the Pentagon as early as June 2002. The meetings are alleged to have taken place before any vote on military action in the House of Commons, before the passing of Resolution 1441 at the UN and at the time PM Tony Blair was vigorously denying he was on a course for war.

news.scotsman.com
Britain was involved in planning for war in Iraq for at least nine months before MPs approved military action, according to a document apparently leaked from the Pentagon.

Details from the secret briefing paper, published in London�s Evening Standard, suggest that military commanders took part in a war planning conference with US counterparts as early as June 2002.

At the time, Prime Minister Tony Blair was insisting that no decisions had been taken on military action.

Today�s leak, on the eve of a crucial debate on Iraq at Labour�s conference in Brighton, will fuel speculation that Mr Blair agreed in principle to join the US in military action at his April 2002 summit at President George Bush�s ranch in Crawford, Texas � something the Prime Minister has always denied.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could become more interesting over the next few days. The story from the London Evening Standard is by Andrew Gilligan, so I'd imagine most Journos are triple checking before running with this one.

Related News Links:
www.news24.com
icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk

[edit on 29-9-2004 by kegs]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That's what military brass and think-tanks do....they plan for wars that may or may not ever occur. That is their very job. I'd bet my next paycheck that in some file, there is a plan to invade Luxembourg! That doesn't mean it will ever happen....
It's just done so that the leaders have the information they need in the event of a crisis, right then, not days later...jeez....

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I agree, this is not a big deal.
If they waited until February of 2003 to start planning, they wouldn't have been doing their jobs very well.

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I know that Garzok, But Blair was amadant no military plans had been drawn up. From the title article:

Among the events recorded are:

A planning conference between the US, UK and Australia � the three leading members of the eventual coalition in the war � on June 28 2002.

A discussion between Britain and US commander General Tommy Franks on August 13 2002 on the possibility of sending UK forces to Turkey, on Iraq�s northern border.

A US planning order issued on October 7 2002 for operations on the �northern front� � an option which was blocked in the event by Turkey�s refusal to allow coalition troops to attack Iraq from its territory.

The publication of a full battle plan, codenamed 1003V, on October 31 2002, eight days before Resolution 1441 and a month before UN inspectors under Hans Blix began their hunt for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

On 16 July 2002, three weeks after the planning conference, Mr Blair told MPs that there were �no decisions that have been taken about military action� in Iraq.

And a few days earlier, on July 13, the Financial Times quoted a Ministry of Defence official as saying: �We don�t have current plans for an invasion or attack on Iraq in any form.�

Later in the month, Mr Blair fended off questions about Iraq at his regular press conference, saying �we are all getting a bit ahead of ourselves on the issue of Iraq�.

And as tensions around Iraq mounted with the publication of the September 2002 dossier on WMD, the passing of Resolution 1441 and the failed attempt to secure a second resolution specifically authorising military action, the Government continued to insist that Iraqi disarmament was the aim, not military action to remove Saddam.

[edit on 29-9-2004 by kegs]

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
& i supposed that cheneys investigation into oil in iraq (Department of Commerce DOC-013-0056?0074) drawn up in 2000 was just coincidence also alongside the mention in it of 'weapons of mass destruction' www.yuricareport.com...

i think we should start a thread dedicated only to listing all the 'coincidences' & story changes since this whole sham started

can you say the emperor wears no clothes?

posted on Sep, 29 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
That's what military brass and think-tanks do....they plan for wars that may or may not ever occur. That is their very job. I'd bet my next paycheck that in some file, there is a plan to invade Luxembourg! That doesn't mean it will ever happen....
It's just done so that the leaders have the information they need in the event of a crisis, right then, not days later...jeez....

Yes it's standard practice to have theoretical tactical plans made for exercize purposes and on hand, but that's a very different thing than a planning conference with the Pentagon.

top topics

join