It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
So what's the difference between a Marriage and Civil Partnership where legalities are concerned? It seems to me the fight is with the institution itself, not the rights that come with it...

This actually bans civil unions as well. NC does not have civil unions for gays.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by mileysubet

Most individuals will vote with their religious views in mind and in fact do so faithfully.

Does the constitution require that all citizens vote without religious prejudice?

Who the hell are you to tell me how to cast my vote? Seriously!

We ALL go to the ballot box and vote the way we want.

As soon as you vote against anyone's right to practice their beliefs, as long as it does not effect your life then you have crossed the line. If you chose to partake in any vote that limited the freedom of another person you have become no better than the politicians that allow this type of behavior to continue.

The fact that the USA has allowed a vote on personnel behavior is an abortion of the constitution.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Yep So

Whats all the fuss about?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

The fact that the USA has allowed a vote on personnel behavior is an abortion of the constitution.

Ironic that you should mention "abortion" and "personal behaviour".

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Just because the vote came in "one way or another" does not mean is constitutional...

Show me where the constitution protects gay marriage…

The constitution was designed to protect HUMANS as a group not humans as a religious sect, in fact that is exactly why it was developed in part.

It does…all of us!

At any point when the people are called upon to inhibit (or not) the rights of others by way of voting the constitution becomes a useless document.

Do you have a RIGHT to smoke? Do you have a RIGHT to drive? Do you have a RIGHT to gay marriage?

I don’t think so!!

Stop throwing around the term “right” if you don’t even know what “rights” we have as Americans. It doesn’t matter what ‘human rights’ you think you have. What matters is the constitutional rights you have.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I explained it in my post. I don't understand why no one debated me on my big post a few pages back. When one group has rights then the rest of the people get that same right. The law should apply equally to all. Pretty simple to see. Also, if you don't understand why this is a religious vote and violates the separation of the church and state, which keeps us from becoming a theocracy. (At least in theory not in practice sadly.) It is precisely because Christianity forbids homosexuality. The christian churches and their organizations which push for bans on gay marriage are reasons why this is a religious vote. You really can't see that? Not everyone worships a book saying gays are evil and should rot in hell. Get that through your head that not everyone shares yours or the church's world view. Are you a Christian? What state are you from?

Seabag please answer this:
Would blacks not being able to marry whites by law be considered unconstitutional? Answer that please.
edit on 9-5-2012 by KillThePoor because: (no reason given)

link   

Most people are only in favor of individual rights as long as it only protects those who are like their own selves. It is a shame.

link   
reply to post by neo96

Yep So

No fussing here!

It’s none of my business.

Have a civil union with any gay guy you’d like while you’re at it!

Maybe you two fellas can harbor a couple of illegals in your basement too!

edit on 9-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

I'm not from the US and I think this is insane. Not only for denying the LGTB community of their basic rights but also because now 'marriage' is the only legal domestic union valid on NC, and hence everyone, including straight people, will be affected by this.

I'm sorry if it offends any US citizen but it seems to me that it's a huge distortion of democracy when a majority choses if a minority will have basic rights or not. Democracy should actually protect any minority because the sum of all minorities is what makes a population, so it's a huge hit to the system when any group get its liberties taken away. It's a sadden news and I don't think you have to be gay to understand how bad this is.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I live in NC and voted against Amendment One today. My wife woke me up tonight to let me know that the amendment passed. I couldn't get back to sleep I was so utterly outraged. So, I did what we all do in the 21st century and posted on Facebook. I will share my post here as well.

Okay my fellow NC residents, can we get down to business. Now that you have declared you want to define what others can do by the word of the Old Testament, we have some laws to write. Let us not be hypocritical and discriminate solely because of who a person decides to share their bed with.

Here is a whole list of new laws we need to pass ASAP!
The eating of fat is prohibited forever. (Lev 3:17)
You cannot round the corners of your beard or the hair on your temples. (Lev 19:27)
Witches should be killed. (Ex 22:18)
Anyone working on the Sabbath is to be killed. (Ex 35:2)
Anyone that touches a dead pig must be killed. (Lev 11:7,8)
If a couple has sex during the woman's period, the two are to be cut off from their people. (Lev 20:18)
(Maybe we should just kill them. That seems to be the running theme.)
If a woman grabs a man's privates during a fight, her hand is to be cut off. (Duet 25:11,12)
False prophets are to be killed by their own parents. (Zech 13:3)
Parents are to stone their stubborn children. (Duet 21:18-21)
Anyone who attacks their father or mother is to be put to death. (EX. 21:15)
Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death. (EX. 21:17)
All paintings, statues, and pictures must be destroyed. Anyone caught making them shall be punished and so shall there children. (EX 20:4)
Slavery of Hebrews must be reinstated. A Hebrew may be kept as a slave for seven years. (Ex 21)

Seriously people, if you voted for Amendment One because, "it says so in the bible" you also endorsed everything I listed. It is all in the bible as the law. Everything from Exodus 21 was commanded as the laws after the Ten Commandments were given. The part about no paintings, sculptures, or likeness of anything in the heavens, earth or beneath it, that is actually in the Ten Commandments. It is separate from the do not worship these things part. (Grammar is a bitch that way.) So, how far do we really want to take this? I just hope you all sleep peacefully knowing you voted to discriminate against thousands of your fellow citizens. I hope you can reconcile that with Romans 13:9.
“For this, “Thou shalt not commit adultery,” “Thou shalt not kill,” “Thou shalt not steal,” “Thou shalt not bear false witness,” “Thou shalt not covet,” and if there be any other commandment, all are briefly comprehended in this saying, namely: “Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.”

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KillThePoor

I explained it in my post. I don't understand why no one debated me on my big post a few pages back.

My apologies! Things were moving fast…I must have overlooked you!

When one group has rights then the rest of the people get that same right. The law should apply equally to all.

All people are treated equally under the law. All groups are treated equally under the law. The thing is, marriage isn’t a person or a group!

Seabag:
Would blacks not being able to marry whites be considered unconstitutional? Answer that please.

Yes, it is unconstitutional because it’s discriminating against race (protected by the 14th amendment).

Which amendment protects gays or gay marriage??

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

reply to post by neo96

Yep So

No fussing here!

Smoke up!

It’s none of my business.

Have a civil union with any gay guy you’d like while you’re at it!

Maybe you two fellas can harbor a couple of illegals in your basement too!

edit on 9-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Wow showing your "true self" to us all tonight.

Congrats on showing us all what a bigot you really are Seabag.

I will engage in no further conversations with you.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Do you have a RIGHT to smoke? Do you have a RIGHT to drive? Do you have a RIGHT to gay marriage?

I don’t think so!!

What?

I don't have a right to smoke? I cannot choose what I put into my own body?

It's amazing how tyrannical you sound. Did you notice that too yet?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Uh I like womenesses and i get called racist on here everyday so harboring illegals?

nope.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Wow showing your "true self" to us all tonight.

Congrats on showing us all what a bigot you really are Seabag.

I will engage in no further conversations with you

So I’m a bigot by being in favor of current law??

Really?

So the LAW is bigoted?

I will assume you ran out of defense for your lame argument?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

You know, I was about to alert the mods, call them into this thread to read your 'contributions' but I decided against it. I will however say that it's pretty evident to me that you are in fact trolling and trying to hijack this thread. You are not interested in the least to have an actual discussion. Either that or you lack the intelligence to engage in one. Your excessive and obsessive posting make no sense at all; the fact that you rely so much on punctuation marks and smiley faces to express yourself, and the fact that you are unable to redact a whole text instead of quoting every single sentence makes it even worst.

I wanted to reply to you but it's pretty hard in the sea of posts you have amassed during the short life of this thread. I fail to understand your arguments but as far as I understand you claim that 'the people have spoken'. Well, in case you are having dificulties understanding what my initial posting was about I will explain it to you: it was about the tyranny of the majority, and I will even be kind enough to leave a link for you to read for better understanding:

en.wikipedia.org...

You also keep mentioning your constitution so let me remind you of the 14th amendment in case you have skipped it:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Other than that I was not able to salvage any other argument on your part so please let me know if I missed any. Although be assured that if you continue to troll this thread I will in fact ignore you.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

What?

I don't have a right to smoke? I cannot choose what I put into my own body?

It's amazing how tyrannical you sound. Did you notice that too yet?

If the constitution sounds tyrannical to you then you’re sad!

The constitution doesn’t grant rights but it does grant protections. Last time I checked…smoking wasn’t in there!

Wise up! You’re making yourself look silly.

Smoking is a right???

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

My argument is that all government licencing of marriage should be banned.

Instead of allowing more to get on board, we should throw everyone overboard.

Basically marriage is a religious issue and government should have no place presiding over it or regulating it.

Let people do what they want in their place of worship, and keep it outta government. Please.

Eliminate all marriage laws and licencing.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

i'm not twisting anything.
there is NO Constitutional protection of ANY marriages of any kind.
it IS a religious matter.

the State was dragged into the matter via divorce, property rights, licensing and age barriers.
otherwise, it is only a religious matter.

Constitutionally, the specific matter is unaddressed, hence, it is the power of the people.
especially, if it is to remain a religious matter.

no State ruling should apply, period.

by limiting my rights based on your religious doctrine and ruling IS "forcing religion on me".

why would you reference the 1st when i specifically quoted the 10th ??
besides, the 1st places LIMITS UPON CONGRESS or did you skip that part ??

the 10th clarifies my position ... powers not delegated belong to the people.
yes, the ppl of NC voted, but that doesn't make it right.
It does intentionally infringe on the rights of multiple groups of people who can claim discrimination and have the law summarily repealed or challenged.

ps ... the vote doesn't effect me directly, i have nothing to "suck up" but thanks for revealing yourself.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ha...ha.....ha..... Marriage is a thing for straight folk, they need to come up with their own thing and quit cryin about it.... Its like atheist complaining they want to use the cross as their new symbol.....stupid

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Marriage is about getting tax breaks and giving your other half the ability to take your house,your car,your clothes. the kitchen sink and your dog and of course parental rights.

So yeah its all about the benjamins.
edit on 9-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join