It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I don't live in fear, the Lord takes care of all my worries. However that doesn't mean I should be content in my faith because if I was then I would never grow in it. I really mentioned nothing about guilt, only about contentment in my faith. I mean I'll admit I do feel guilty but thats simply because I am a sinner. I have a duty to reject sin, and the sin in question is homosexuality. It has nothing with being humanitarian, your belief is that everyone should have equal rights. My belief is that homosexuality is wrong and therefore should not be tolerated, but I still respect the people and love them as equals because that is what Jesus would do.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I can explain it very simply. 1. Were flawed and therefore not perfect so it would be impossible to follow all the laws in the bible. Hence the reason for Jesus. 2. The Old Testament seems to get glossed over in church in favor of the New Testament therefore an ignorance of the Old Testament rules exists. 3. Some christians believe that when Jesus came back he abolished the rules of the Old Testament, and the New Testament is the only way to live.

I don't imagine you follow every law that the government has in place every second of your life so don't expect Christians to do the same with their rules because it's impossible. I'm sorry if some christians act as if they're on a pedestal but that isn't the right way to live either. We are all equal under the lord for we all sin.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

You are missing the point that my faith guides me, and I don't feel like I am discriminating one bit. The rules are the rules of God, you may not believe but that is your choice and your choice alone. I will sleep just fine tonight.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by denynothing

I can explain it very simply. 1. Were flawed and therefore not perfect so it would be impossible to follow all the laws in the bible. Hence the reason for Jesus. 2. The Old Testament seems to get glossed over in church in favor of the New Testament therefore an ignorance of the Old Testament rules exists. 3. Some christians believe that when Jesus came back he abolished the rules of the Old Testament, and the New Testament is the only way to live.

I don't imagine you follow every law that the government has in place every second of your life so don't expect Christians to do the same with their rules because it's impossible. I'm sorry if some christians act as if they're on a pedestal but that isn't the right way to live either. We are all equal under the lord for we all sin.

# 1 is a pitiful argument. If it's impossible to follow all the laws of the Bible, then why discriminate against homosexuals for "supposedly" not following the laws?

#2 Gee, it's funny how fundamentalist Christians seem to not be ignorant of the homosexual part of the Old Testament.

#3 - now, this is something I could agree with. In one of my previous posts, I refer to an article which states that Jesus is only concerned with the laws that govern how we treat each other. He never says that homosexuality is a sin. He never says it's a sin to wear tattoos or clothing with two fabrics, or to have sex with menstruating women. He emphasizes the Golden Rule - love your neighbor as yourself. That's what the New Testament is all about, and that is all we have to do. We are going against Jesus' teachings by denying the rights of two people to be married in a loving, committed relationship. That is not a good way to treat others.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Garfee

You are missing the point that my faith guides me, and I don't feel like I am discriminating one bit. The rules are the rules of God, you may not believe but that is your choice and your choice alone. I will sleep just fine tonight.

Well, there are many words to describe people like you and none of them are for polite conversation.

You'll sleep well because you don't know any better.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

# 1 is a pitiful argument. If it's impossible to follow all the laws of the Bible, then why discriminate against homosexuals for "supposedly" not following the laws?

This is the only issue at hand, this bill was about homosexuality. The bill was not about any other rule in the bible therefore Christians are acting in their faith to reject sin. Homosexuality in the bible is a sin therefore to Christians it is not discrimination. It is impossible to follow every law in the bible, but opportunity was presented to possibly stop sin therefore people voted for the bill.

#2 Gee, it's funny how fundamentalist Christians seem to not be ignorant of the homosexual part of the Old Testament.

Homosexual rights and marriage rights are a hot button issue today, and are talked about on the news nearly everyday. What do you expect when something has so much airtime, of course people will aware of the rule in the bible. If we started talking about bills against tattoos you would see the same rise in knowledge of it.

#3 - now, this is something I could agree with. In one of my previous posts, I refer to an article which states that Jesus is only concerned with the laws that govern how we treat each other. He never says that homosexuality is a sin. He never says it's a sin to wear tattoos or clothing with two fabrics, or to have sex with menstruating women. He emphasizes the Golden Rule - love your neighbor as yourself. That's what the New Testament is all about, and that is all we have to do. We are going against Jesus' teachings by denying the rights of two people to be married in a loving, committed relationship. That is not a good way to treat others.

However, Jesus did not abolish any rule his father wrote, he only took the punishment for the laws. Instead of being sent to Hell for sins now we have Jesus who died for us. Yes he did preach of love, but never did he say it was okay to sin out of love for one another. By denying homosexuality we are following his father's rules and jesus' love each other rule. If you love someone them you will tell them of their sin, and warn them to turn away from their sin. Jesus never found complacency with our sin, he forgives us for our sin but that doesn't mean we get to sin willy nilly.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

You don't have to like me, I am personally okay with that. However this is meant to be a debate and not the place to insult based upon beliefs. Describe me how you will that is your choice to do. Your thoughts of me do not affect me one bit, I however still respect you as an equal.

If you suppose I don't know any better then enlighten me, don't belittle me and then refuse to explain why.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

This is the only issue at hand, this bill was about homosexuality. The bill was not about any other rule in the bible therefore Christians are acting in their faith to reject sin. Homosexuality in the bible is a sin therefore to Christians it is not discrimination. It is impossible to follow every law in the bible, but opportunity was presented to possibly stop sin therefore people voted for the bill.

Ok, so now I am presenting this to you: you are sinning by wearing more than two fabrics at the same time. Now that you are fully aware of this sin, I expect and demand that you stop wearing more than two fabrics effective immediately. Of course, I say this in love to help you turn away from sin. If you refuse, you are choosing to deliberately sin against God.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I don't live in fear, the Lord takes care of all my worries.

What crap. Read your own words.

YOU would not be here questioning if you did not question.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Are you really doing this out of love or out of sarcastic mocking?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

You really do not understand how ridiculous you are.

Do you?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am not trying to start a semantics argument but honestly I don't get what you are talking about. I talk about not being content in my faith I.E. continually trying to grow in my faith. You claimed that was guilt and fear. I retorted by saying I don't fear because the Lord provides. What am I missing so I can understand your argument better? I mean this with no disrespect to you.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I am trying to figure out if he is mocking my faith, or is legitimately trying to correct a flaw I have. That isn't ridiculous to question the intent. You questioned my intent for my words on this thread too.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

It's as much out of love as you saying that two homosexuals can't be in a loving committed marriage.

Sins are sins and God's laws are God's laws. If homosexuals aren't allowed to be in a loving committed marriage, then you aren't allowed to wear cotton underwear and a silk shirt.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

You know that is fair, I will try to not wear mixed fibers from now on. Though in the King James version it talks only of wool and linen. Which version did you find the mixed fiber rule out of curiosity?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Garfee

You don't have to like me, I am personally okay with that. However this is meant to be a debate and not the place to insult based upon beliefs. Describe me how you will that is your choice to do. Your thoughts of me do not affect me one bit, I however still respect you as an equal.

If you suppose I don't know any better then enlighten me, don't belittle me and then refuse to explain why.

When your unprovable beliefs infringe on other people's rights, liberties and happiness I'm afraid it's no holds barred - within the scope of the medium's rules and regulations.

Your beliefs are actually really affecting other people negatively and I'm not ok with it.

I have explained often why you are wrong and you ignore me so go ahead and sleep soundly as you say you do.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

You explained why I was wrong by calling my beliefs something akin to an unproveable sky fairy. That isn't even a logical argument, at least someone else on here has backed his argument with scripture and with actual evidence. Even though I disagree with that with my own evidence I still respect his argument. Your argument against my faith isn't valid because you claim God doesn't exist because he can't be proven therefore I am discriminating. You are committing a logical fallacy because even though something cannot be proven does not mean it does not exist. Therefore your argument is invalidated. You choose to not believe in the bible or God for your own reasons and I respect you for that but warn you that you will answer for your decisions much like I will. Just because you don't believe in the bible, that doesn't mean I am wrong about what I am talking about. It is righteous to fight for equal rights its what Jesus would do, however he wouldn't sin to make everyone equal. That bill attempted to do such, I have nothing against gay people or people who fight for gay rights. Its a sin equal to every other sin, and they're equal to everybody else. That's what I have been arguing, just because I don't agree with you does not mean you get to insult me. You and I both know we will never know which one of us is right until we die. I have no ill will towards you, I believe you to be misguided but I still respect your intent. You seem to not be able to do that with me, it's sad because you and I are equal. Not all will be convinced in their life and I guess I should live that.

I actually didn't sleep fine last night, I too question whether it is right to tell the gays they can't get married because I can't get married. But I believe that bible says its wrong, I feel bad for the gays to be not be able to get married and what not. However we all reap what we sow with our choices.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I actually didn't sleep fine last night, I too question whether it is right to tell the gays they can't get married because I can't get married. But I believe that bible says its wrong, I feel bad for the gays to be not be able to get married and what not. However we all reap what we sow with our choices.

Why can't you get married?

I know Christian's who support Equal Rights - - - over their bible belief.

CHOICES? Are you saying homosexuality is a choice?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Sorry I meant because I can get married. Right all Christians sin, I support foul languaged t.v. shows, I don't support Israel (I'm not sure if I should or not its a little hazy right now), I don't lash out at premarital sex, I watch and enjoy t.v. shows about teenagers that have children. All of those are things that go against the bible, my point is that just because some maybe many support something it doesn't necessarily make it right. To me it doesn't seem biblical to be born gay, however mankind is broken and open to imperfection. So if you can show me peer reviewed evidence of genetic homosexuality I may be inclined to change my opinion on the choice aspect of homosexuality.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36 >>

join