It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie

I have read threads on other forums about this today and I am sickened by the lack of morals in the world today.

I know right. Can you believe these Christians that wanna deny other human beings rights because they think they're "sinners?" I mean really? Christianity, by definition is an abomination according to God and Christ.

It is disgusting that so many people have been brainwashed by the gay perverts.

Oh... I thought you were talking about actual morals. You were talking about the lessons learned in Grimm's Fairytales, or was it the Bible? Which one is has the talking snakes, giant barn-boats, and people coming back from the dead?

That long road that started with "Uncle Arthur" on Bewitched has led us to this bizarre situation where the dumbest idea in the world is supported by a huge group of people. The first I ever heard of this stupid idea was in an Eminem song where the rapper was trying to be silly and controversial. To think it has garnered so much support when real civil rights issues lay not only unresolved, but unacknowledged.

Glad to see you're current on your pop-culture. What does this have to do with it being okay to treat Americans as 2nd class citizens?

Do you people not remember Sodom? How about Pompei? Thailand? New Orleans? Haiti? Japan?!? Places that are rife with sexual immorality get wiped out on a regular basis even today. Are you going to ignore history and in the name of some retarded idea of rights go and get us all killed?

So you're claiming all of these disasters were God's wrath? I guess that's why the bible belt and tornado alley are so closely aligned. Makes since. Hate, Judgement, Getting Hair Cuts, Eating Seafood, Playing Football, Yada Yada Yada... yeah, you Christians are screwed. Thank the lawd that my God isn't a petty cry baby who needs constant ego feeding to keep him from throwing a tantrum. Are you sure you guys aren't worshipping Satan by accident?

God is more than some fairy tale man in the clouds.

Prove it.

He is in control and He punishes those who get too far out of line. Allowing this sort of depravity is a sure certain method of committing mass suicide. And you fools are bringing it down on all our heads. Thanks a lot. Jerks.

Yeah... you're the ones denying others rights, and we're the jerks. Another poster already said this, but I think it's worth reciting: "If God hates homosexuality so much, then why isn't it one of the 10 Commandments?"
The Bible is a canon of Christian Views. Not God's law.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

The Commandments are (allegedly) God's Law. Let's see how holy you Christians really are:

#1 - Do not worship any other gods: This one is tricky and it depends on who you talk to, so I'll address both sides of the argument. Argument 1> Christ is not God, he is the son of God. By worshipping Christ as Lord, you are breaking this first Commandment, thus sinning. Argument 2> Christ is God, which means when he was strung up during the crucifixion, he was talking to himself when he was asking "Why hath thou forsaken me?" meaning that he was putting on a rouse, i.e. lying. Does God lie, or was that the devil? Either you're a sinner or you're a devil worshipper. One of those "Damned if you do..." circumstances.

#2 - Do not make idols: Ever worn a cross, had one hanging in your house or on your church? Those are sins, even if they are for God. You cannot create any object that reflects God, Heaven, or anything dealing with the two.

#3 - Do not misuse the name of God: Everytime you say "God says" or "God teaches..." you're lying about God, and so breaking this Commandment. If you haven't heard it from the horse's mouth, then you're merely speculating. Considering most of the New Testament is a mistranslation, I'd say these misuses happen often.

#4 - Keep the Sabbath Holy: Go to church on Sunday? You're going to Hell. That's a big ol' sin. So is working on Saturday, or not going to church at all.

#5 - Honour your Father and Mother: Ever gone against your parents wishes? Who hasn't? If you have you're a sinner, and according to the bible, this is a sin that is punishable by death (stoning to be specific).

#6 - Do not murder: Yet it happens everyday. The crusades and the holocaust are prime examples of this sin in action.

#7 - Do not commit adultery: This one is broken quite a bit. Did you know that, according to the bible, marrying a divorced woman and bedding her is considered adultery? Which is odd, because in another section of the bible if your brother dies and has no heirs, you're suppose to sleep with his wife (whether she wants you to or not) and provide her with a child or children until an heir has been established.

#8 - Do not steal: The Christians that "discovered" this land, stole it from the Native Americans. Christians also
stole and plundered their way across Europe and Africa during the crusades. American religious leaders steal from the people every day.

#9 - Do not Lie:

#10 - Do not covet: Yet you covet everything you see. You covet the American Government, you covet control of the people, you covet people's money, their freedom, and you do it with a sickening greed.

edit on 10-5-2012 by alien because: ...needless personal commentary removed...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

I do not know how Constitutional it is for people against gay marriage to begin with to decide the constitutionality? Isn't this like plantation owners voting on slavery? I mean lets hear it from the slaves. If it is only a small minority being unconstitutionally persecuted - WHAT GOOD IS A VOTE ASKING IF THEY SHOULD BE OR NOT?

Naturally if it affects a fraction of the population a fraction will be in favor but the legitimate concerns of Americans most affected by this law, should carry the most weight. Anyone the law will not affect, I don't think should have a say. This has to do with sex and the intimacies of peoples lives. This doesn't overlap with law and should not need to be voted on. That is nobody's business.
edit on 9-5-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie

Nowhere in the Bible are either of those things allowed or condoned. In fact, the penalty for bestiality is death.
Same for homosexuality. There is no relief if the other person is a kid. It is still a capital offense.

Sex with boys and besitiality aren't condoned by your bible?!!

I know they aren't. I just wanted you to challenge my statement and then respond with the typical "we don't condone this, infact we condemn it" comment. That way I could ask you why Christian preachers are still, not only in power but, alive after being found to have slept with boys and farm animals? If your God's laws are so infallible and unchallengable, why are these people still breathing? If there is wiggle room for these men, then why not all men?

I have read threads on other forums about this today and I am sickened by the lack of morals in the world today.

I'm both shocked and horrified by your logic. How can a desire for a people to be free be considered a lack of morals? Mind = Blown

Do you people not remember Sodom? How about Pompei? Thailand? New Orleans? Haiti? Japan?!? Places that are rife with sexual immorality get wiped out on a regular basis even today. Are you going to ignore history and in the name of some retarded idea of rights go and get us all killed? God is more than some fairy tale man in the clouds. He is in control and He punishes those who get too far out of line. Allowing this sort of depravity is a sure certain method of committing mass suicide. And you fools are bringing it down on all our heads. Thanks a lot. Jerks.

Religious people have killed more people in the name of "God's Love" than any and every storm since the beginning of recorded history. There is nothing more dangerous than a fool with a sword in one hand and a bible in the other. You want to be the North in a cultural moral compass, let go of the hate, brother. If homosexuality is a sin punishable by God, then let God sort it out. Who are you to judge, you who claim to be without sin.

reply to post by newcovenant

Kudos

edit on 10-5-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

for some reason that gave me a chuckle so i gave you a star

for whatever reasons put forth, i'll never understand how we stooped sooooo low as to vote on a natural right

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

How can you prove that religion has killed more?
By my reckoning Atheism has killed a whole lot more in the last century than religion ever has.

edit on 10-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

for whatever reasons put forth, i'll never understand how we stooped sooooo low as to vote on a natural right

Something I echoed in a previous statement in this thread. I don't understand how people can justify denying people rights? Especially in this country. Rights are rights, and homosexuality hurts no one. Star for you.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

But let's explore that for a bit. Say you are a fifth generation farmer in NC. You have deep roots here. You want to continue to work here. You dont want to move somewhere else where you have no family, friends, roots, or job.

Then you stay and live with it...We may soon see pot legal in one state and years in prison in another...same thing....if that is a behavior you want and your state doesn't want then you DO have a choice.

There are reasons I will never again live in CA...there are reasons I live in WA and not OR that is a 10 min drive for me.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw

By my reckoning Atheism has killed a whole lot more in the last century than religion ever has.

60 million people were killed in WWII alone. That number out tallies most (if not all) of the storms listed in the argument combined. What numbers do you have on Atheist-related deaths this past century?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I can't believe you used this as an argument. Gay people are not pedophiles.

No...but there are other special interest groups (100s)out there other than just the gays. Why don't they all get their right too?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
Something I echoed in a previous statement in this thread. I don't understand how people can justify denying people rights? Especially in this country. Rights are rights. Star for you.

What is a "right" in this case?

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Something I echoed in a previous statement in this thread. I don't understand how people can justify denying people rights? Especially in this country. Rights are rights. Star for you.

thanks for that

i was beginning to think ppl just forgot what rights are.
rights, being natural is akin to muscles (and not the food kind), if you don't exercise them, you don't benefit from them.
they are not assigned or granted and should never be eligible for a vote of any kind.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

60 million people were killed in WWII alone. That number out tallies most (if not all) of the storms listed in the argument combined. What numbers do you have on Atheist-related deaths this past century?

WWII is religious based? lol

100 million plus this century...40 million plus Stalin....80 to 100 million plus china...no religion there...wait Pol Pot too ...just 25% of Cambodia's population , Darfur...4 to 10 million....

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

What is a "right" in this case?

The protection of an individuals' freedom from unwarranted infringement by governments and private organizations, which ensures one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the state without discrimination or repression.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

World war II was not a religions war so what are you on about? My argument is that religion has not been the main cause of death throughout history, like some ignorant people like to claim.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
in fact, atheism killed more people in the Soviet Union and China during peacetime than any religious war ever did.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

WWII is religious based? lol

100 million plus this century...40 million plus Stalin....80 to 100 million plus china...no religion there...wait Pol Pot too ...just 25% of Cambodia's population , Darfur...4 to 10 million....

809 million people have died in religious wars. That’s nearly a billion people.
Oftentimes, a retort is that secular ideals and Godless Communism have killed many more. It is true that Stalin, among others, slaughtered his own people by the millions during the industrialization of Soviet Russia. By comparison, 209 million have died in the name of Communism. Conclusively, more people have died in the name of religion than in the name of Communism or Hitler, or the two combined times two.

My original quest was to compare deaths in the name of Jesus with deaths in the name of Hitler. In that case, it comes down to fifty-six million Christian deaths (as referenced in the site I just pasted), compared with twenty-two million [em]military[/em] deaths in World War II on both sides combined.
I only mentioned the tally of all wars throughout history because I often hear that ‘atheist’ doctrines like Communism have killed ‘many more,’ which is clearly not the case.

link

reply to post by QQXXw

Not a religous war specifically, but still fueled by the religious ideology of the Christian Nazis.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
can you provide any proof at all that 800 million died from religion? please no "historical opinions" but hard facts.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by LadyGreenEyes

Originally posted by Domo1
*snip*Wasn't there something about judge not lest ye be judged?*snip*

Actually, that's a misunderstanding. The admonition is against hypocrites passing judgment while refusing to be judged. very common misunderstanding, but there is an article that explains the reality much better than I can. If interested, you can check this out:

Should Christian judge?

Yes, and Jesus said that we should judge righteously. Jesus also never judged against homosexuality, so if we judge against homosexuality, we are not judging righteously, according to Jesus.

The entire Bible is the Word of God. Jesus is God, so yeah, He did speak against it. Prohibitions against that in the OT and NT. He stated that He came to fulfill the law, not do away with it. It's listed as one sinful behavior, in a list of several. Of course, like any sin, it's forgivable. As for judging, it would be wrong to practice a particular sin, yet tell others they were wrong for doing so.

Now, none of that means it would be right to hate anyone for such behavior. We can like a person and not approve of everything they do. I have had gay friends (none in my area currently), and other friends that did things I didn't think were right, but I didn't stop counting them as friends. As I posted previously, we ALL sin.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

did you even bother going to the webpage containing the data ??
here's a direct link ... users.erols.com...
from what i'm reading, it fits.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join