It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I just wanted to speak up even if I was in the minority that voted against this stupid amendment. I don't even understand why it is an issue. Why are people so ignorant? I say we propose an amendment that says no one has the right to marry because it is a failed institution as it stands anyway.
Maybe the gov should crack down on pet marriages that I'm sure we have all at least heard about. How is that not detrimental to the "sanctity of marriage".
What does this amendment do to help the dummies...I mean citizens, that voted for it? Did Gawd promise some good ol' treasures in his kingdom in the clouds for those that refuse to think for themselves?

When is the next ship leaving this cesspool of a planet? I sure want to be on it.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggerPicture

well at least its consistent with the "Police State"

How is this AT ALL indicative of a police state?

to ban same-sex marriage is afterall, a sexist clause.

How is this AT ALL sexist?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Way to go N.C.

Keeping family values intact. At least we still have values and morals in N.C.

The whole USA should use this as an example and turn back to God.

Lack of values and morals and taking God out of government,local and state issues

is the reason America is suffering now.Take God out of every thing and forget him and he will

forget you.The American people need to wake up and turn back to God before it is to late.

This is my opinion and i will stand buy it. If you do not like it tuff. The Bible says Adam and Eve not

not Adam and Steve.

+10 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I still don't get what the problem is with same sex marriage.

It’s not about two people of the same sex living together, sleeping together, kissing each other, holding hands, getting benefits at work, getting a tax break, etc………

It’s about the 'word' marriage! Marriage, in the bible, is between one man and one woman. Call the DAMN THING A CIVIL UNION and get your benefits!!

We all ask ourselves, "Why are gays hung up on marriage?"

Answer – MOST ARE NOT!! This is another way TPTB divide us. Most Christians disagree with gay marriage simply because you want to call it MARRIAGE!!!

NEWS FLASH!!! Drop the buz word and collect your benefits!! HELLO? Live together!!! Do what you want! Just don't claim the word marriage as if it homosexuality was acceptable to Christians. Drop the WORD!

Maybe the status of "marriage" is more important for homosexuals to acquire than the actual reality or condition of actually being "married?"
If not then stop fighting us on this!! Stop crying about your BS and get the exact same recognition under the LAW with a civil union; I'd support that and I'm a conservative!

One group has to budge on this and it sure as hell won’t be Christians, so take your benefits and run, gay people!! Why the fight??

edit on 8-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I hope the next thing they pass will be a bill to make divorce illegal.

To, you know, protect the sanctity of marriage.

And also, no eating shellfish.Or cutting your hair.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by randomquestions

Oh that's nice. Here I am, a straight guy defending the rights of homosexuals and you go out and attack straight people as if we all agree with this legislation. Blind intolerance can exist between us 'breeders' and gays equally I guess.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

Take this, you'll need it.

On topic, why should YOUR religious beliefs be allowed to dictate the rights of someone else? Worry about yourself, not what Adam and Steve are up to in the privacy of their home.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Call the DAMN THING A CIVIL UNION and get your benefits!!

We all ask ourselves - Why are gays hung up on marriage?

Wrong. Te wording is “marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State”

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
That is the thing here tho lift the veil of stupid partisan politics:

Marriage is Marriage a holy union and recognition by the church way its been for the longest time

What Marriage is now in the 21st century is getting recognized by government for parental rights and taxes and money.

There is that separation between church and state and the lbgt community doesn't really care about what the church thinks but they

most definately care about what government thinks.
edit on 8-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Did you gloss over the part where I said that most people probably didn't realize that this measure also banned civil unions?

It’s about the word marriage! Marriage, in the bible,

The Bible is not the law in this country. That is why I like this country. That is why you should like this country. If the gays gained the majority (yeah I know...) and they tried to ban the Bible I would defend our right to practice your religion. Pursuit of happiness and what not. I don't think it's just the word marriage for you. I think you dislike gay people. Wasn't there something about judge not lest ye be judged? Treat your neighbor as you would wish to be treated? Maybe you should be kind to people even those you think are sinful and let God mete out the punishment. Do you think you're God?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Every day I read posts that say "why vote", "It's all rigged" yadda-yadda.

And here we have a perfect example of the power, the value of voting.

I wonder how many people are soiling themselves in NC right now that were too damned lazy to vote on this.
edit on 8-5-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Wrong. Te wording is “marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State”

Sounds good to me!

Lets go with that!

What was your point???

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
interactive nc map showing who voted where and how.

The cities and college towns voted no. everywhere else voted yes.

www.wral.com...
edit on 8-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Sounds good to me!

Lets go with that!

What was your point???

My point is that the wording makes 'civil unions' illegal which obviously counters your claim that all gay people need to do to have equal protection under the law is get a 'civil union'.

edit on 8-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Poor Gomer.

Does this mean all those 'good ol' boys' only screw female sheep?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Did you gloss over the part where I said that most people probably didn't realize that this measure also banned civil unions?

If it did then that’s the will of the people of that state! Sucks to be on the other side of the PEOPLE!

I was referring to the perspective of some (me and the people I know) Christians. It’s more about the biblical term “marriage” than the act itself; although I personally think its disgusting (which is irrelevant).

The Bible is not the law in this country.

I understand…and you totally missed my point!

That is why I like this country. That is why you should like this country. If the gays gained the majority (yeah I know...) and they tried to ban the Bible I would defend our right to practice your religion.

Excuse me!! The difference being RELIGION is protected by the constitution in US. Gay marriage is NOT protected. A MAN poking another MAN in his rear is NOT protected under the constitution! As a matter of fact, almost every state in the union has a law against it.

I believe that what you do under your own roof is your own business. Even if you walk around openly GAY I don’t care!!!!!! Just don’t call it marriage!

Pursuit of happiness and what not. I don't think it's just the word marriage for you. I think you dislike gay people. Wasn't there something about judge not lest ye be judged? Treat your neighbor as you would wish to be treated? Maybe you should be kind to people even those you think are sinful and let God mete out the punishment. Do you think you're God?

Get real, ma’am!

edit on 8-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

A beezzer opinion post.

If you own a Vespa and stick a harley-Davidson emblem on it, it doesn't make it a Harley.

But people should be free to place as many labels on their Vespas as they choose.

Regardless, the voters (or lack thereof) have spoken.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State
there's nothing quite like cutting off your nose to spite your face

don't ppl read this legislation anymore ??
hahahahaha, this outta get good, un-married heterosexuals will suffer many unforseen consequences resulting from those few words but i guess they deserve what they voted for, right ??
edit on 8-5-2012 by Honor93 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'm gay and I'm a mix between humanitarian, agnostic and atheist. To me, your bible and your view of what god is has absolutely zero validity. Also I consider myself to have a broad view, to be able to get into someone else's shoes and to know enough about many topics (at least enough to understand 'marriage' is not a catholic invention). However, I will defend your right to speak up your mind and to excercise your right to believe in whatever you want as long as your actions don't harm other people. No matter how wrong I believe religion is to the human race, I will back any believer's right to speak their minds and to have as much freedom as everyone else.

I can only hope the path you are currently going through will lead you to a place with more understanding and kindness.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

My point is that the wording makes 'civil unions' illegal which obviously counters your claim that all gay people need to do to have equal protection under the law is get a 'civil union'.

10th amendment???

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.
link

Are either protected constitutionally?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join