It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina Voters Pass Same-Sex Marriage Ban

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
It looks like we can add North Carolina to the list of "Shi*theads of America."

It's a damn shame we have to vote on equality. A damn shame.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Radiobuzz

I'm not from the US and I think this is insane. Not only for denying the LGTB community of their basic rights but also because now 'marriage' is the only legal domestic union valid on NC, and hence everyone, including straight people, will be affected by this.

I'm sorry if it offends any US citizen but it seems to me that it's a huge distortion of democracy when a majority choses if a minority will have basic rights or not. Democracy should actually protect any minority because the sum of all minorities is what makes a population, so it's a huge hit to the system when any group get its liberties taken away. It's a sadden news and I don't think you have to be gay to understand how bad this is.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

NC is in the bible belt...so that I am of opinion had a lot to do with the voting.....
And I am a north carolinian , where I live there are 6 churches within a mile circle.!!
edit on 9-5-2012 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by braindeadconservatives

Oh like how liberals stick their hands in my wallet and pay for some strangers birth control pills?

Nope describe yourself.

Are you really Rush Limbaugh?

Judging by your posts...it sure seems like it

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I just love the edit feature,I changed my mind which is a womans'
right to do so.:

My name is MAMABETH,not mommabeth.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

What on earth has the first amendment got to do with gays trying to hijack the institution of marriage?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillThePoor

And when state's decide to step on the constitutional rights of others, that is one instance when the federal government is to step in, no? Yes, rights for one group apply to all otherwise all men are not equal. Marriage is not protected by the constitution but equal rights are.

There are many many instances where one needs to follow set guidelines that are established. We do not just say hey I want this and so I should have it...

We are also talking about a behavior. Getting married is not a right but a behavior, and that is why you cannot marry 5 women or men, or someone that is like twelve. What sets behaviors is what the majority considers a moral norm. This state voted on what they considered a moral norm, and though I disagree with it, I will support the states right to vote on what they feel is right or wrong.

P.S. I think I proved this law and amendment banning gay marriage is 100% unconstitutional in the sense that rights given to one group should be given to all groups.

"ALL GROUPS" there are a lot of "all groups", do you really want to go down that path? Like I said moral norms are established by the majority. Plato sat and contemplated morality while he had sex slave boys that he saw as a moral norm, we could open up Pandora's Box to say "All Groups" are now a moral norm.

You could eliminate the legal status of marriage for straight people and then the gay marriage debate would be over.

I agree that is probably the best direction, but you need to remember that the "gay group" is not the only group out there....
edit on 9-5-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
We are not a democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.

pjmedia.com...

Yet America is a republic, not a democracy. Our Founding Fathers instituted a form of government guided by the rule of law rather than the desires of a majority of voters. They understood that a democracy is always in flux and given to “mob rule,” while a republic is fixed and stable, resting on “the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God.” Because of the uncertainty of democracy, Benjamin Rush — a signer of the Declaration of Independence — wrote: “A simple democracy is one of the greatest of evils.”

edit on 9-5-2012 by Keeper of Kheb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jenlovesturtles

The Bible has been rewritten... are you really sure about that? Sheesh - some people will say whatever they like about the Bible and God and NO ONE steps ups to defend... you make me sick!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by aardvark888

I don't think gays want to hijack anything ...

I think gays want equal protection under the law ...

you know the way this Republic was intended to function ...

why do you care what adults do in their bedroom ... how is that any concern of yours?
edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Marriage in ancient history was not subject to Judaic religions, but was societal norms for relationships, and thus should be for all lifelong romantic partnerships who wish to be legally entangled, in non prejudicial societies, and prejudice outlawed.

ehistory.osu.edu...
Marriage in Ancient Mesopotamia and Babylonia

marriage.about.com...

Even ancient Rome had the engagement ring, this was a polytheism society, which would be very pagan to the Christian/Judaic faith.

www.randomhistory.com...

Evidence exists that same-sex marriages were tolerated in parts of Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt. Artifacts from Egypt, for example, show that same-sex relationships not only existed, but the discovery of a pharaonic tomb for such a couple shows their union was recognized by the kingdom. Meanwhile, accounts of the Israelites' departure for Canaan include their condemnation of Egyptian acceptance of same-sex practice. In actuality, same-sex marital practices and rituals are less known in Egypt compared to Mesopotamia, where documents exist for a variety of marital practices, including male lovers of kings and polyandry. None of the recorded laws of Mesopotamia, including the Code of Hammurabi, contain restrictions against same-sex unions despite the fact that marriages are otherwise well regulated (Eskridge).....

Eastern religions varied in their attitude toward homosexuality, though they were frequently much more neutral than their Western counterparts. Less specific to same-sex marriage, many of the texts make a statement as to their position on homosexual behavior.

The sacred texts in the Hindu tradition, the Vedas, did not restrict homosexuality, but rather viewed it as a perversion. Mixed-race relationships were considerably more offensive in the early tradition. Japanese Buddhism records the most tolerant attitude toward homosexuality, in essence praising it for its mystery (Ishay). Today, there are no religious or political limitations on homosexual behavior in Japan. Sexuality remains a private matter among consenting adults, but there is not yet legal recognition of homosexual unions (McLelland).

Later Buddhist texts in Asia—including Tibet, China, and the Indian subcontinent—were likewise neutral on the subject.

North American natives considered themselves married, sometimes in polygamy type marriages, other tribes not, but they had their terms for husband and wives and families.

www.historyforkids.org...

How is it that Christains claim "marriage" for their own idea.

edit on 9-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jenlovesturtles
reply to post by grayghost

The bible has been rewritten so many times it just might have said Adam and Steve you can't be sure it didn't.

As far as the word marriage goes...I think if you want to call it marriage why the heck not! I didn't get married in a religious ceremony at a church and the word god was no where in my wedding vowels but I am still married so why can't gays? Its that same mentality my grandmom had when she told me I couldnt wear white to my wedding

I told her unless she was paying for it I would wear what I wanted and I wore white.

edit on 8-5-2012 by jenlovesturtles because: (no reason given)

"Copied" not rewritten and accurately copied/translated. We have proof. ever hear of the dead sea scrolls? Also Marriage is an institution beginning in religion. Just because you didn't get married in a church, have God in your vows, it is still a covenant instituted by God from the very beginning. So even the act of marriage is a pattern that you followed that began with God. If you knew anything about covenants you would know that Man and Woman were created to enter into a covenant marriage relationship that is consummated by blood. That is why a woman bleeds she first has intercourse. And to top it off according to the government you are joined together in a contract (new world term) old world "Covenant". So, you got married and have a covenant with your spouse. You have participated in a religious act.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Keeper of Kheb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't believe this will hold in higher court, especially since its making civil unions, of all kinds illegal. By that I mean common law marriage. Getting married by a justice of the peace, civil marriage contract, is still called MARRIAGE.
edit on 9-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Good for North Carolina! Now if all the other states would just follow their lead, the world would be a better place!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

That's about all I got say about that. North Carolina can secede from the union as far as I care.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith

Good for North Carolina! Now if all the other states would just follow their lead, the world would be a better place!

Maybe you'll be better off in the following locations:
Saudi Arabia.
Iran.
Uganda.

Bye!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Can 2 men or 2 women make babies with one another? Didn't think so. Homosexuality is a spiritual condition there is nothing in the DNA that scientifically proves that you are born gay. IT IS A CHOICE!!!! Choose to be normal. You can bash me, attack me and say whatever you want, homosexuality is unnatural and destructive to the family. I am sure that those of you who agree with homosexuality are probably atheist, hate God, do not believe in God, are homosexual yourselves, hate America or all of the above. I will say that my problem is not with the individual but with the "SIN." For those of you who are going to make horrible comments in reference to mine, I pray that the veil over your mind would be removed. Stop being a sucker for satan.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Until we get over these frivolous issues about gay marriage, we as a country are taking steps backward (probably into destruction ) . I believe that love is love no matter the gender. We are all spirits, are we not? If you're a Christian, then you must believe that we are all souls? Souls should not be defined by the meat puppets we have called bodies. If one soul loves another then everything is perfectly fine. Also, why should a 1000 year old book that got many other things wrong dictate the governmental processes of a present day society? It's just nuts. I don't see why people have such a problem with homosexuals. I see no issue there and haven't ever. It almost seems odd and stupid to me like the people going "Eeewww!! You're disgusting!" need to grow up and get over it. Stop being babies.

This is a sad day and I can only hope that this gay marriage business goes to the Supreme Court and that the bans will be moved as unconstitutional. Then maybe we can finally make our way towards peace and stop this bickering over such a stupid issue. We have much bigger fish to fry.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by meggiddo2012

I'll have you know that I am straight but still support gay marriage and am not an atheist. I also do not hate God in any way, shape, or form. This is a very narrow minded view you have here and I think you need to sit and think about the things you just typed for a while. Go sit in time out, child.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Jesus nor the christian God got married
was it illegal there too?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
North Carolina, where it's acceptable to marry your cousin but not your same sex partner?

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join