It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Time Traveling Tourists From The Future?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking once wrote that since there are no time traveling tourists from the future, that proves that time travel into the past is impossible.

Well, it seems to me that there is one flaw in that line of reasoning.

That flaw is this: how would you tell if a being is a time traveler?

A human looks like a human being in any era. The only problem is if they are of a different ethnicity than a group of people, such as say a modern day Caucasian in 4th century BC Japan where there are no Caucasians. Well, except for maybe the Ainu. Or a modern day Caucasian going back to the time of Neanderthals.

If the time traveler has studied the area and the era they wanted to travel to, they would blend in quite well. So really, there would be no way to ell if they were a tourist.

So that is the flaw in the Hawkings' statement.

However, this is just speculation.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

There are plenty of time travelers visiting our time. We call them aliens.
edit on 5/8/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yes it's something I enjoy thinking about when I look at old footage of historic events. I like to imagine that mingling in the crowd are at least a couple of observers from other times. Just because we don't think time travel is possible in 2012 does not mean it never will be... how many people 200 yrs ago would have believed you had you speculated about flying around the world or launched humans into space...sigh. Please become reality time travel...

Silver

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Im still wondering where those time traveling fetus's travelled to in the movie Time Travelers Wife. Where would they go? Imagine if you were at a Bus Stop someplace and all of a sudden a time traveling fetus appeared. The movie doesnt provide any answers on where the time traveling fetus's might go. I have spent many hours trying to work it out. A time traveling fetus would not blend in well.

But,I think you are right. They could blend in. Plus,why would they tell us?
edit on 8-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

how would you tell if a being is a time traveler?

Apparently time travelers carry Cell phones... Haven't you seen the pics from the 1900s?

I wonder what the reception is like?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Traveling through time quantumly entangles you. So the real question is why? And my question is do you think he will do it again?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't think if they could time travel in the future that it would be available as a tourist attraction anyway. It would be restricted to select personel only. Also who is to say some of the UFOs seen today are not time travelers from the future observing us?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What about the multiple earths idea where people might just go back to different timelines.

I know a lot of people hate that idea, but dammit I like time travel. Shut up hawking.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Actually, I'm a time traveller. Unfortunately, I'm permanently stuck in the '80s...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think Warren Buffett is a timetraveler. He came back in time with copies of "The Wall Street Journal" and used the info to play the stock market for 50 years without losing, becoming the richest man in the world.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Maybe time travelers can't change the past they can only observe it.

top topics

join