It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Underwater Pictures: Winners of 2012 Amateur Contest - National Geographic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
1- Overall Winner

Photograph courtesy Ximena Olds, RSMAS

A headshield sea slug pauses on a blade of grass in the U.S. Virgin Islands in the winning image of the University of Miami's 2012 amateur Underwater Photography Contest, whose results were announced this month.

"Everybody looked at that photo and said, Wow ... Everything is just so appealing to the eye," according to judge Michael Schmale, an amateur underwater photographer and professor of marine biology and fisheries at the university.

Source: National Geographic

2- First Place: Macro Photography

Photograph courtesy Todd Mintz, RSMAS

Two yellownose gobies peek out of a brain coral off the Caribbean island of Bonaire (map) in a macro, or close-up, picture.

"There's something really appealing at looking at the macro world," Schmale said. "All three of the [winning] macro photos made a huge impression on me."

Source: National Geographic

Please, take a look at all the other amazing photos that were awarded at the link above!

Maybe one day I'll take such beautiful macro photographs.....One day....

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Not only are sea slugs beautifully colored, but thy have faces. And so do those remarkable little guys peeking out at the camera. They have character, personality. I find them remarkable. Dolores Cannon's books reveal those who regress to living life in the ocean, even as an ant, and the kind of feelings and learning they were doing. Opens the door on imagination and attempting to understand, having gentle respect.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

join