It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will my vehicle survive an EMP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Hi,
A bit over a year ago I purchased a pretty tuff TOYOTA HZJ 75 Landcruiser. So far it has tackled any challenge I'm brave enough to attempt with little to no effort.
It has been fitted with an after-market turbo and this is the crux of my question. If there was an EMP or similar, I understand the electronics would be fried. But what I would like to know is can I disconnect the turbo and associated electronics and revert the vehicle to its original non-turbo configuration in order to start it? Would the engine turn over and is the process of "de-turboing" easily done with a fairly basic tool and skills set?
Please advise ATS gear-heads!

Silver

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverkiss

Your turbo is not electronic. So therefor an emp would do nothing to it.

But anything else needed to start your vehicle would be fried.
I assume it's a diesel?

If so you still need ignition, glow plugs, starter, starter solenoid, ect.
Pretty much if there is an emp any and all vehicles would be toast. Unless it is a flinstones mobile.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You need "vacuum tubes" to prevent EMP.

Read this.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

If its electronic ignition and EFI then no dont think it would work. It would have to be converted to a carburated fuel system, Distributor would have to be replaced with a points system I think.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The HZJ75 has the 1HZ engine which is diesel, the only way an emp would effect the turbo is if it had an electronic wastegate accuator fitted, (not normally fitted to workutes etc more a performance thing)

As others have stated you'll loose all other electrics including alternator and starter, loosing the glow system (im guessing your in Australia) isnt a huge issue unless your in the southern states in winter, it usually just tanks an extra second or to 2 to fire up in QLD weather.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The only real way to prevent EMP damage to your vehicle is either to "harden" the electrical components ($$$$), or place the vehicle in a "Faraday" cage of some sort.
edit on 10-8-2012 by Butch4231 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join