It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Leaving home

page: 1
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
alright so, i want to leave home but i dont know where i should go.
i was thinking living either in the woods somewhere in a mountainous region, or a large city like nyc.

its not really to survive or anything, i just want to do something interesting before i die.
its more of a leap of faith, i expect to wither away, but it'd be interesting if i somehow stay alive.


so, which do you think i should choose?

i like nature, but i feel its too peaceful and uneventful..im leaning towards the city.




posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
How old are you?

Living in the woods, while it may sound tempting, isn't near as enjoyable as you may think it is. Just go camping on a bad day, even when well-equipped (which takes $$$ by the way), and you'll see.

Biggest things to consider...

1) What is your budget?
2) What do you plan to do (for a living)?
3) What are your bare minimum requirements? (toilet, for example)
4) What do you want to do on your off time?

Answer the above, and it should offer some susggestions.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
i've been thinking about doing the same thing. i live in rural louisiana though i might jus go camp on the bayou and eat catfish my whole life.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
How old are you?

Living in the woods, while it may sound tempting, isn't near as enjoyable as you may think it is. Just go camping on a bad day, even when well-equipped (which takes $$$ by the way), and you'll see.

Biggest things to consider...

1) What is your budget?
2) What do you plan to do (for a living)?
3) What are your bare minimum requirements? (toilet, for example)
4) What do you want to do on your off time?

Answer the above, and it should offer some susggestions.


im 18, uh its not really a camping trip, more of a last event type of thing.

1) budget? i dont plan on taking any money
2) nothing
3) i can poop in the woods, or public restrooms?
5) um, im just going to walk around, then rest if i need to, then walk around some more. I just want to see things.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
basic things like how are you going to wipe your[snip] and while it seems daft its been the fail of alot of people
edit on 8-5-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
He just turned 18, according to his (?) profile. So, bud. Have you ever held a job? Are you intending to "further your education?" Are you going to graduate from high school next month? Surely you don't think you can head for the Okefenokee and survive. Then there's Atlanta. Should be warm this summer. I used to live in Macon--don't recommend it. Now Augusta or Savannah. Nice places....



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
He just turned 18, according to his (?) profile. So, bud. Have you ever held a job? Are you intending to "further your education?" Are you going to graduate from high school next month? Surely you don't think you can head for the Okefenokee and survive. Then there's Atlanta. Should be warm this summer. I used to live in Macon--don't recommend it. Now Augusta or Savannah. Nice places....


yes, no, no, ok

i've already walked around atlanta for a few days, its not that interesting.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock
 


Ok - how about this, go to college, join the military, do something productive. Coming to NYC will most likely end up with you living on the street and getting hurt. Living in the woods with no woodcraft skills will get you dead. Same for the city if you go to the wrong area.

A lot of people get lost, for a lot of reasons, in the end it is your choice, you decide your fate, so best of luck, but if I had only 2 choices as you posed I would take to the woods, not the mountains, well stay below the treelines, if you do.

Peace



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mantarey
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock
 


Ok - how about this, go to college, join the military, do something productive. Coming to NYC will most likely end up with you living on the street and getting hurt. Living in the woods with no woodcraft skills will get you dead. Same for the city if you go to the wrong area.

A lot of people get lost, for a lot of reasons, in the end it is your choice, you decide your fate, so best of luck, but if I had only 2 choices as you posed I would take to the woods, not the mountains, well stay below the treelines, if you do.

Peace


ok- how about this, no, no and no.
i know im going to be living in the streets. i know i'll probably get stabbed. im well aware of what can happen.

alright, i see, thanks for that.
good to know.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
in addition to thinking about where you want to go, try thinking about what you want to do.

Deep woods or NYC...that's quite a contrast.

Sounds like you don't really know what you want. That's OK, I didn't at age 18 either. In some ways I still don't know.

But the thing is...whatever you do...the actual *things* you will be *doing* everyday are going to be more important to your happiness than the location you happen to be in.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock
 


If you are dead set on the streets stabbed is the least of your worries. Look if you are headed north to the BIG cities then stay out of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. While there are nice sections there are really bad sections. Stay away from the Russians, they will kill you, but not before they slave you out.

You can get into a mission some nights, and find day labor work, but you are in for a very tough ride. Again best of luck but you need to think this through.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Leftist
 


well im planning on watching existence.
thats it.
thats what i enjoy doing.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGrandWarlock

Originally posted by schuyler
He just turned 18, according to his (?) profile. So, bud. Have you ever held a job? Are you intending to "further your education?" Are you going to graduate from high school next month? Surely you don't think you can head for the Okefenokee and survive. Then there's Atlanta. Should be warm this summer. I used to live in Macon--don't recommend it. Now Augusta or Savannah. Nice places....


yes, no, no, ok

i've already walked around atlanta for a few days, its not that interesting.


Well, it certainly sounds like you've thought this through carefully.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mantarey
reply to post by TheGrandWarlock
 


If you are dead set on the streets stabbed is the least of your worries. Look if you are headed north to the BIG cities then stay out of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. While there are nice sections there are really bad sections. Stay away from the Russians, they will kill you, but not before they slave you out.

You can get into a mission some nights, and find day labor work, but you are in for a very tough ride. Again best of luck but you need to think this through.


Oooo, you just gave me the best advice ever.
so first im going to Bronx, then Brooklyn, then queens. I will force my way into the russians and i will fight until they kill me. If they knock me out and i wake up a slave, i will have a purpose.

thanks for your response.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   


its not really to survive or anything, i just want to do something interesting before i die. its more of a leap of faith, i expect to wither away, but it'd be interesting if i somehow stay alive.


Before you die? Hopefully you've got years and years before worrying about that.

So you're putting yourself into a big city, with no plans on figuring out how to stay alive - food, safe shelter, etc, or into a forest to be bear/cougar food?

You need a better plan......at 18, you should have a little more figured out than this.
Even couch surfing sounds better.
Life isn't so bad, really, it can be a lot of fun.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Why not both.

Go live in Central Park



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit


Before you die? Hopefully you've got years and years before worrying about that.

So you're putting yourself into a big city, with no plans on figuring out how to stay alive - food, safe shelter, etc, or into a forest to be bear/cougar food?

You need a better plan......at 18, you should have a little more figured out than this.
Even couch surfing sounds better.
Life isn't so bad, really, it can be a lot of fun.


eh life and death are overrated.
i could, but i dont want to, i just want to do something fun, its not like i can actually die, i mean yes i can die, but im immortal,so lets have some fun.
couch surfing, hmm, i dont do well with negativity, and being a leech is just asking for it.
i know life itself isnt bad, its great, but im not happy here, i dont want write a sob story or go into emo mode, i'm just not happy in this life, its not for people like myself. That's what im trying to do, just having some fun.



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus
 


yes, i've decided to go to the city.
i can rest there for a while.

omg this is going to be so much fun.
im going to dress like a spaceman ahhh
its going to be awesome



posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The kid is either suicidal or trolling. Anyways he is 18, we can try and talk to him like he is a rational adult, but in the end sometimes kids have to make their own mistakes before they learn, unfortunately in this case it just might prove to be fatal or worse.




top topics



 
1
<<   2 >>

log in

join