It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity fight must shift from personal blame-U.S. panel

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Good for you for choosing the healthier path. Shame on doctors who would have others become addicted to an insulin regimen that would preclude them from knowing an actual cure, and shame on governments for claiming to protect people through licensing schemes while death by doctoring (not the Kevorkian kind) remains far more deadly than diabetes.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think there are many factors contributing to the obesity problem, you all know them,
plus Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe weren't skinny.

Well Larry was the thinnest.

Top 10 Countries Celebrating Female Obesity
www.toptenz.net...
edit on 043131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The point of my thread was to create discussion.
Obesity affects everyone and it is our own responsibility.
I don't think anyone has not suffered a few moments of weakness with food.
That is our own faults as is over eating.
The food industry does not help with additives nor the advertising industry hammering us 24/7.
Dr.'s are not Dr.s anymore they are sales men for their services, hospitals,the healthcare industry and Pharmaceutical companies.
Putting aside who is at fault , do we really need more government regulations controling our lives ?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Basic fast foods require detoxification and reengineering to keep flavor in line with healthy substances as apposed to production values and commerce.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Fasting isn't for everyone.

The link says that diabetes responds to fasting. Yes, your blood sugar is likely to drop to a dangerous level if you fast.

I've fasted but then again, I don't have any medical conditions that would be aggravated by it.

Want to bet that some poor schmuck is going to read that link, fast and then die or suffer dire health consequences?

Yep, and fasting also causes neurons to die. Without food, the body must burn fat for glucose. During that time, nerves are destroyed, causing neuropathy. Fasting is not good for the body. 6 to 8 very small meals a day consisting of protein and veggies/friut are all we need to be thin and healthy.
It was their low fat/ high carb diet the "experts" said was healthy. All that did, with other factors, was create fat diabetics.
Why did people stay thin before that? Eating some fat with carbs helps keep the blood sugar level. People used to make dinner instead of eating out. They ate well balanced meals, not a plate of pasta claiming " well, it's low in fat". Yes it is, but man you wouldn't believe what it does to the liver and pancreas.
Keep that liver healthy folks!!!! Look up what all it does, you'll see it's the key to good health and good metabolism.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Yep, and fasting also causes neurons to die.

That's funny, that is not what this study claims:

Scientists have known for some time that a low-calorie diet is a recipe for longer life. Rats and mice reared on restricted amounts of food increase their lifespan by up to 40%. A similar effect has been noted in humans. But Mattson and his team have taken this notion further. They argue that starving yourself occasionally can stave off not just ill-health and early death but delay the onset of conditions affecting the brain, including strokes. "Our animal experiments clearly suggest this," said Mattson.

He and his colleagues have also worked out a specific mechanism by which the growth of neurones in the brain could be affected by reduced energy intakes. Amounts of two cellular messaging chemicals are boosted when calorie intake is sharply reduced, said Mattson. These chemical messengers play an important role in boosting the growth of neurones in the brain, a process that would counteract the impact of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

or this study:

Described in the Feb. 9 issue of the journal Neuron, the findings show that during fasting, the AgRP neurons that drive feeding behaviors actually undergo anatomical changes that cause them to become more active, which results in their “learning” to be more responsive to hunger-promoting neural stimuli.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

You need to read up a bit on glycemic index. Everyone knows that starvation is not good for your liver, pancreas and brain. You'll have to do your own homework, I don't have time to teach nutrition right now.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

You need to read up a bit on glycemic index. Everyone knows that starvation is not good for your liver, pancreas and brain. You'll have to do your own homework, I don't have time to teach nutrition right now.

Declaring "everyone knows" without even an attempt to support your contention with something even resembling a peer reviewed study, especially in response to someone who did take the time to offer up - at the very least - articles citing studies is nothing more than a ridiculous logical fallacy. I am not sure if everyone knows that argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy, but instead of insisting I read up on claims you can't even bother to link, I think you need to read up on logical fallacies.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Stop buying the # and they'll stop making it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Personally I think a look needs to be taken at pollution and endocrine disruptors.
I think it contributes to obesity.

So much of it is hormonal. I take steriods and gained 40 pounds the first month. My diet didn't change much at all. My exercise actually increased during this time.

That tells me that a LOT of it is hormonal.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I don't think it is specifically an unwillingness to lose weight. With all the confusing and conflicting diet plans most people don't know what to eat. This is why the diet industry is very lucrative, probably more so than televangelists. When I was a chubby teen the yearly diet plan my Dr. fished over was very confusing, required a lot of upkeep and changed year to year based on new research that refuted last year's research.

Also doesn't explain how my dad would horse away two plates of Southern Cooking at every meal and never broke 150lbs. While my mom, brother and myself were picking through oats, lettuce and all sorts of unsavory food and at most breaking even while walking around all day with our stomachs growling and feeling hungry.

At the end of all that fasting I experimented and found that certain combinations of food and eating smaller but, more meals made me lose weight drastically and I've kept it off since. I think people have to experiment and find out what works for you individually.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by rickymouse

I ate a lot of packaged food growing up. Parents were too lazy to cook. Still are. That's another area that needs to be rectified. Parents have to get smarter about what they feed their kids.

edit on 8-5-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

i believe this is partly where the problem lies. processed food is the culprit.

parents are pushed into both having to work because of the economy. there is less time to grow and make organic, healthy products so parents are effectively pushed into buying processed food for lack of time/energy. the processed food is made cheap. parents give it to their children, who then get into the cycle of processed food all over again. and who makes the most money out of it all? the government

there are also recent medical discoveries that conclude it's not necessarily down to personal willpower and exercise, there is also a genetic marker that is "switched on" for obesity.
news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join