It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retro Car Goes From Canada to Mexico on a Single Tank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well well.. now i know there have been a few cars that have been made by people that get 100 MPG but why did i just stumble on this? This was from freaking 1982 for gods sake! What did gas cost in 1982 like .70-1.00 a gallon U.S. ? Now i had a GEO metro in 97 that got about 50 mpg but you about had to push it up hill.
. The video is saying this car has some performance to it! Now if a few college guys can build this its so obvious all the car makers are in bed with the oil company's to keep mpg low! I bet they get a nice kickback check every year for "fixing" mpgs. With gas approaching 5.00 a gallon a 100 mpg would of set the cost a lot.Now the car makers are wanting to charge 50 grand for "electric" cars that the 90% can not afford.www.fastcompany.com... tro-hypermiling-car-goes-from-canada-to-mexico-on-a-single-tank

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Not buying the story.

The most efficient you can get an ICE is around 25%. That sets an upper limit on your efficiency that gets further reduced by losses in the transmission, road conditions, and driving habits.

Some of the materials only recently available and engine designs developed within the past ten years (made practical by modern computerized machining processes) can get near 30% due to their absolutely insane compression ratios (gasoline engines will, soon, no longer use spark plugs and be similar to diesels).

That's simply not enough to, on one standard tank, drive from Canada to Mexico. - Not unless you've somehow planned an all-down-hill trip (which is what I'm banking on being at least partially behind this story).

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

Want to know why this is a hoax? It's not being produced. If it was real we'd see it. Capitalism.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Not a hoax real car just look it up www.gizmag.com...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Yeah, ICE's currently are very inefficient.

I'm still waiting to see the OPOC engines more refined and in action.

Cheers

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by buddybaney

Did you WATCH the video got to 4:00 and listen he says " with the right engine and proper tuning the car could do upto 100mpg then he says not bad for a car that can do 0-60 in 5 secs.

Well since the performance would DEPEND on the engine an engine that would give it 0-60 in 5 secs wouldn't get 100mpg, also how quick could it go and get 100mpg not very fast would be the answer.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddybaney
The video is saying this car has some performance to it! Now if a few college guys can build this its so obvious all the car makers are in bed with the oil company's to keep mpg low!

Sorry, Hoax. From the link you sent me ...

The Avion is powered by an 800cc, 67hp diesel engine

Yeah, some real performance there. Also notice it is diesel, which is about 33% more efficient, thus skewing the numbers. Still 80'ish MPG is still impressive, but 67hp, there is no performance there, and nothing to see here.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

Well Subaru have had flat boxer engines for a while

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Very true, and they're nice engines but they're not quite the same.

The OPOC engine has 2 combustion chambers for 4 pistons, whereas the boxers have 4 combustion chambers for 4 pistons.

Supposedly they can convert up to 50% (key words: up to) (EDIT: also, 50% still isn't ideal, but it's better than most) of the fuel energy into propulsion.
Hence, i'd like to see the OPOC engine a bit more refined and with more info.

Cheers
edit on 9-5-2012 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

top topics

join