It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture shows how all the water on Earth would fit into one 860-mile-wide ball

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jb1958

Brilliant!!! I have read a LOT of "science fiction" literature....so on the same page, here........

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bigshow

It is the amount of POTABLE water that we are running out of.

You really want to drink the water that ran off a cattle rance or cooled nuclear reactors?

Be my guest.

The stuff that comes out of sewage treatment plants is supposed to be safe though.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The ball is perfectly viable. If you take a glass of water and pour it into a 9X13 in. dish, you are going to have much more surface but a lot less height.

That is what they mean when they say that the oceans really aren't that deep.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

What a "perfect" 'visual':

If you take a glass of water and pour it into a 9X13 in. dish, you are going to have much more surface but a lot less height.

I try and try.....YOUR example might just shine through.... ....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
can we just transfer it to Mars ! when the SHTF

well... with the help of God EL = Anunnaki of Course

or Maybe some of Our Water cam from Mars > ?

But gases & H2O Keep on Duplication Building Up

Expanding Earth

Water is the Lubricant & Filler

The Longer and Better Version as above

Conspiracy of Science - Earth is in fact growing

Earth's expanding girth

Aug 1, 2002
physicsworld.com...

Yes! The Earth is Expanding. Part 1 of 14.
www.youtube.com...

Earth's waistline could be expanding
EARTH
August 01, 2002|By Marsha Walton CNN Sci-Tech
articles.cnn.com...:TECH

A CHALLENGE TO ALL GEOLOGISTS ON EARTH
www.nealadams.com...

860 something Mile Globe Ball ? to cover the Surface ?

what about the recent discovery of the Deep Underground Saturated Oceans they found around Orient ASIA

did they calculated that to ?

I say A Recount!!

edit on 9-5-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

It's 70% of the SURFACE of the earth. He' talking about VOLUME meaning everything all the way down to the core...

The surface of the oceans only average out to about 1-2000 ft deep, If you consider the volume of a sliver of a sphere as large as the earth but only consider its volume for a depth that would be 1/6000th of the total volume of earth...

So a sphere with 1/6000th of the volume of earth would be able to fit all of the water on earth...

Jaden

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
I doubt it is only fresh water because it's shown next to a completely barren dry Earth. Water doesn't make up a huge percentage of the Earth.

No not at all.....Only around 70%.......Pretty small amount......

Water covers 70% of earth, it doesn't make it up. The vast majority of earth is made up by layers of sediment, rock, and the molten layers beneath.

Water, though appearing to be the majority of Earth, is but a small actual fraction of it.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

don't forget to use 4 pi r 2 to get the surface area and multiply by the average depth of the ocean to get the volume of the water alone so you can compare it to the volume of the earth without the water

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
Here is another source for the info from a USGS website.

It sure seems unbelievable but the math seems to add up (although I suck at higher math)

This is where I initially found this topic yesterday.

I don't have the mathematical skills to determine if it's accurate or not, but for those saying it is only fresh water, it says clearly that it is all forms of water on the planet.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I just wonder when and how they got all that water in the bubble and back in the oceans again.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
some people have no idea what 860 mile diameter ball would look like. At 160 miles you are already in space and at 400 miles you are at satelite level and that's not even half of the diameter .. so its perfectly viable ...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sover3igN
reply to post by jazz10

I just wonder when and how they got all that water in the bubble and back in the oceans again.

HAHAHAHA I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!

*Note, I am not shouting with the all caps, I'm emphasizing the words*

For everybody else, think of it as painting a giant ball. You don't fill the ball up with paint, you only paint the surface. The water, ALL of the water, covers the surface of the earth, even the underground water doesn't go down very far compared to how big the earth is.
The radius of the earth is close to 4000 miles, the crust of the earth, all the dirt and stuff and the tunnels where you'd find underground water only goes down about 25 miles at the maximum, 4 miles at the minimum. So you have the SURFACE AREA of the earth times the depth of the water on it is equal to the volume of the WATER, not the volume of the EARTH. Yes, 70% of the SURFACE of the earth is covered with water, not 70% of the VOLUME of the earth. There's a big difference. 97% of all the water on the earth is in the ocean, the other 3% is freshwater. So, of that tiny little sphere of water, only 3% of it is fresh water and that's pretty darn tiny. The fresh water would make a sphere only about 25 miles wide. I drive almost that far to work every day.

If you don't understand the math and want to, please check out khanacademy.org, they offer really good videos to help you grasp the old concepts you may have forgotten over time.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So if you took all the dry land
taken down to the same depth
as the ocean it should roll up
in an even smaller ball?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sealing

TRY THIS:

Peel the skin, and only the skin from an apple.....crush it up into the tiniest ball you can....(no "apple flesh", just the skin!).

The (now bare) apple represents the Earth...the "skin" represents both the crust of the Earth, AND! All of the water....in the oceans, the lakes, AND the ICE too!!!!
edit on Wed 9 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

A ha!
Got it. Thank you.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

According to my horrible algebra skills that's something like 333,038,142.749 square miles.

According to www.enchantedlearning.com... the Pacific Ocean alone has 64 million square miles of water.

All oceans combined would equal 138,910,300

But again.. my math skills suck soo lol
edit on 5/9/2012 by Rockpuck because: Fixed my horrific algebra... with my horrific algebra.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This was just really neat.
I wonder how much that all weighs?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No offense...but if you believed this your too gullible...if you calm down,take a step back,and realize that orb of water could easily fit where the Pacific Ocean would be...several times it appears... try again

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I don't see why there is so much argument against this. Simple test. Take your average 5 gallon bucket full of water, now stand in your kitchen and just turn it upside down. Tell me your whole kitchen's surface won't be covered with water, as well as your breakfast nook or dining room and probably part of your living room.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I have a real hard time believing this !

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join