posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Sover3igN
reply to post by jazz10
I just wonder when and how they got all that water in the bubble and back in the oceans again.
HAHAHAHA I LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!!!
*Note, I am not shouting with the all caps, I'm emphasizing the words*
For everybody else, think of it as painting a giant ball. You don't fill the ball up with paint, you only paint the surface. The water, ALL of the
water, covers the surface of the earth, even the underground water doesn't go down very far compared to how big the earth is.
The radius of the earth is close to 4000 miles, the crust of the earth, all the dirt and stuff and the tunnels where you'd find underground water
only goes down about 25 miles at the maximum, 4 miles at the minimum. So you have the SURFACE AREA of the earth times the depth of the water on it is
equal to the volume of the WATER, not the volume of the EARTH. Yes, 70% of the SURFACE of the earth is covered with water, not 70% of the VOLUME of
the earth. There's a big difference. 97% of all the water on the earth is in the ocean, the other 3% is freshwater. So, of that tiny little sphere of
water, only 3% of it is fresh water and that's pretty darn tiny. The fresh water would make a sphere only about 25 miles wide. I drive almost that
far to work every day.
If you don't understand the math and want to, please check out khanacademy.org, they offer really good videos to help you grasp the old concepts you
may have forgotten over time.