Picture shows how all the water on Earth would fit into one 860-mile-wide ball

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
This DOES NOT include atmospheric water...which is many times the volume of liquid water on the surface.

I know it gets humid here in the south but .... Really?

edit on 9-5-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

When people talk about our water supply running out, it's often difficult to imagine - but according to the U.S. government's Geological Survey, all the water on Earth would fit into an 860-mile-wide bubble. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

the only way there could be a water shortage is if the water is bottled and stored, which is happening,

attack the problem at the source, Bottled water.

you guys are missing the whole concept.
edit on 9-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I was looking for shipwrecks in that drained ocean. No luck. I must say that I find this very hard to believe. Most of the ocean floor lies miles below the surface. The only shallow parts are those around the continental shelves of various land masses, and as we know, there isn't that much land. I would crap myself if this was actually true. I just don't think it is. Is that ball supposed to be to scale? I assume so. It doesn't look right to at all.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Try doing the math, for yourself.

Intuitiveness and "gut feelings" aside.....check the cold, hard facts........

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Something seems incorrect with their volume calculations to me. not to mention, they seem to be only taking in account for surface water. Do you know how much water is below the surface of the land. thousands of aquifers supplying most of the drinking water of the world. It also seems like they did not take into account the polar caps being comprised of frozen water....miles thick. Maybe I missed that. Nevermind....I see I did in fact miss that., but I still find the volume to be questionable.
edit on 5/9/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)
edit on 5/9/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rival

Finally!....someone gets it!

To get a perspective, imagine that the earth were the size of a basketball. Now cover that basketball
with one thick coat of latex paint.

Actually, I posted the "basketball" analogy a few pages back.....the concept of "three sheets of normal paper" equates to your "one thick coat of latex paint" analogy.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I know:

There are four layers or five if you include the upper mantle, you should research a bit.

There is a point where, to some of the audience, it helps to "over-simply" a bit. Your visuals:

In THIS post

Tell it with pictures, where words will fail.

Nice

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Something seems incorrect with their volume calculations to me.

Well...it is admittedly an "estimate"....would it make you happier if the sphere that encompassed all of the water on Earth were.....1,000 miles in diameter, instead of only 860 miles??

Or, let's make it 2,000 miles in diameter!! How's that?!? Still, compare it to the Earth, in size and distribution.

WHAT this thread (and the visuals, and the maths) show is:

WATER, whilst one of the most abundant properties of the Universe, still pales in comparison to MASS of the rest....though, we need the stuff ("we", being the only known biological life-forms).

Oh, and......using this mental visualization of the "TOTAL" water on this planet, we can think a lot about....well, "HOW" it got here....the primary thesis on "how" is not only the existing H2O as the planet cooled, after formation....but other extraterrestrial "imports" of water, early in our planet's history.

THIS is big, when it comes, sometime in the future, to our potential to "terraform" other planets. Should we wish to embark on such endeavors.
edit on Wed 9 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If this is all accurate, which according to the U.S.G.S. and many posts here, it is, it would not be difficult to imagine and extraterestrial entity having the technology to easily withdraw all, or most of the water from the Earths surface, and leaving behind a barren planet not unlike Mars.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Look, people, there isn't going to be a significant fraction of the total volume of ocean water, burred underneath the earth for TWO very, VERY good reasons.

1. Density.

The same reason that the crust is on top of the mantle, is because the crust is less dense than the mantle, thus it floats.

This is the exact same reason that the water is above the crust... because water is less dense than the continental crust.

2. Temperate.

As your depth inside the crust increases, the temperature also increases, to where the temperature of the rock BECOMES the melting point OF the rock, at the exact same point where the crust "Meets" the mantle.

If you were to try to bury water under the crust, its pressure would eventually increase (in proportion to it's temperature) until it was not able to be contained by the rocks above it.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

The absolute CLOSEST we can get to burying water, is by burying long chain Hydrocarbons under sedimentary layers, after we separate them from the oxygen....

A.K.A. Oil.

The only reason that you get water underneath the surface of the earth (Aquifers) is because the rocks there are POROUS.... and as you increase the depth of the rock, they get utterly crushed and compressed by the weight of the rock above them.

Thus, the pores close, and the water is squeezed out, and since the water is less dense than the rocks, it migrates upwards.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by govspy911

....it would not be difficult to imagine and extraterestrial entity having the technology to easily withdraw all, or most of the water from the Earths surface....

I see another Science Fiction film script taking shape......hmmmm...I'll get right on it!!

Thanks for the idea!

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
They say the planet surface is 3/4ths water, but I wonder if they take into a account the all the sea life.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

What?
How is that relevant at all?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ka119

How is that relevant at all?

As noted previously.....sea sponges.

WoW!..Just think about what they could soak up (
)

Or, another post that calculated the totality of Humanity (roughly 7 Billion) all "rolled up" into one 'giant' ball...of "Human meat".....it was quite tiny....I think, around only ONE kilometer in diameter, or so...(please, CHECK my math!!).

Of course, Humans are not the 'dominant' species on this planet.

The total category of INSECTS dominate, as a rule.......

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

The Marianas Trench is 6.48 miles deep, the average ocean depth is around 12400 feet. The ball of water in the calculation is 860 miles, if it were somehow sitting on the Earths surface the upper edge would be roughly four times higher than the orbit of the international space station of 205 to 255 miles, that's a pretty big volume of water.

Volumes can be hard to visualize. It;s estimated all of the gold ever mined through human history would fit in a cube of between 60 and 80 feet.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
they are talking about Fresh water regardless of the picture of a barron Earth // seems about right and it's probably plenty of H2O to go aound / also we can convert salt water into fresh / and technology has come a long way in converting i'm sure .. and Beer is always good to drink.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Hmm...

Let's just say, for a first approximation, that humans resemble a cylinder. Call the average height 1.65 m and the radius of the cylinder 0.35 m.

Volume = pi * r^2 * h = 0.635 m^3 of flesh/person

7E9 people would yield 4.445E9 m^3 of flesh.

r = cube root((3 * Volume)/(4 * pi))

Which would result in a ball of flesh about 1 km in radius. I can't imagine that would smell good.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Which would result in a ball of flesh about 1 km in radius. I can't imagine that would smell good.

Not unless you added a bit of hickory smoke.....( LOL ).....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I believe it. I read a book years ago, 'How to colonize the Galaxy in 8 easy steps'. Was fascinatiing real science, with formulas and real space engineering. In it, the author calculated that in order to hold(living space equal to a modest apt) living space for all the world's population then(about 6 billion) would only require, can't remember exactly, but somewhere around a 20 mile sphere, if the interior was honeycombed with living spaces. It was amazing, and he made the remark that a single large hollowed-out asteroid, would supply an astronomical amount of ore, which after excavating, would allow living space for entire continents of people. Was one of the most fascinating books I've read, with a foreword by Sir Arthur C Clarke.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Every sea, river and lake... says nothing about oceans. I find it hard to believe that bubble if sliced into, let's say 20 slices, would even be able to cover Atlantic ocean. And lets not forget there are places over 10km deep around the globe.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Please, go back over the thread, and check the maths....

And lets not forget there are places over 10km deep around the globe.

Yes, indeed.....about TWO places......already been discussed....CHECK the maths......

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join