It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture shows how all the water on Earth would fit into one 860-mile-wide ball

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

Problem with "hollow Earth" (oh, no....please don't go there!) is:

The mass of our planet. This can also be calculated, and quite accurately (since we live here). There is simply no material "on earth" (lol) that has sufficient density to account for the planet's known mass, and it still be "hollow".

It is impossible.

(Our mass is determined by our gravity....specifically, the acceleration rate due to the planet's gravitational field. 9.8 meters per second squared).

How do you measure a planet's mass?

The only way we can measure a planet's mass is through its gravity. This has been the way Earth's mass was measured, too (we can't directly probe what's in Earth's interior, but we can measure the gravity on the surface).

eta, by the way:

In order to estimate mass of other celestial bodies, the math is a bit more complex. But, this is how the various objects in our Solar System are derived:

You can calculate the mass of a planet using the formula M=4 π² r³∕G T², where M is the mass of the planet, r and T are the radius of orbit and period of revolution of a satellite around the planet. G is a constant. Knowing these three values you can calculate the mass.
In the case of the earth,you can find out the values r and T of the moon and calcuate the earth's mass.

answers.yahoo

edit on Tue 8 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

the picture seems odd...

The thermosphere is 311 to 621 miles up...(big gap there too btw)

but the little blue ball does not seem to be showing how high it would be in relation to the globe to scale..

just seems like an unlikely statistic...

but water is an amazing substance...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

Since it's a sphere, the height would be the same as the diameter.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Was a joke,,, Hollow earth,,,, sorta..
.still pondering the math

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
On Second though .. it look like the size of the moon

You could fill up the entire moon with all earth water ..

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23
reply to post by ProudBird

Was a joke,,, Hollow earth,,,, sorta..
.still pondering the math

Hollow earth was the first thing I thought. I used to scoff at that stuff, but now I'm more open to it.
ya-dunno

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You cant waste water, you borrow it, use it. As long as the ozone does its job along with the atmosphere the water will cycle back down.

Does the estimate include ICE?
edit on 9-5-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Outofcontrol

go ahead - the volume of a sphre = 4/3 pi r3

Thanks to this thread, old brain cells that have long since turned grey, moved south and started knitting have started pausing to think 4/3 pi r3.

But thanks to cigargorilla, it will always be pi r2...

lol

I knew I hated maths for a reason...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
spare me,
quit bottling water.

you hot shots are so busy figuring out a puzzle that is a moot point.

the only way planet earth could run out of water is if it is bottled....its free people,

its truly free, until its stuck in a pipe or a bottle.

You want a math problem, how much water has to be bottled before there is an Eco System Disaster

edit on 9-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
You cant waste water, you borrow it, use it. As long as the ozone does its job along with the atmosphere the water will cycle back down.

Does the estimate include ICE?
edit on 9-5-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

Exactly. The water we use today is the same water the dinosaurs drank.
It doesn't go anywhere...it can't.

I don't believe that picture is true...
The ocean is about a mile deep right? Acually I just looked it up, its 2.65 miles deep on Average.
Now I know theres much much more than 860 miles worth of Ocean.....

that Picture/statistic is complete BS.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Silly:

that Picture/statistic is complete BS.

The 'MATH' is indisputable.

Oh, but yes....the "water" remains, "as is".....in the "scale" of things......just, THAT is all there is, sorry. it is fact.

HOWEVER.....the 'Universe' is abundant, with H2O.....GO GET IT!!!!! It's out there!!! Go!! GET it!!

(Oh, wait......).........

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
How does this make sense? It's not like there is a thin layer of water on the surface of the Earth, the water is extremely deep.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
This picture is still inaccurate to every degree, what about all the subterranean lakes?

Much like on Mars, then alot of our water has been forced underground by gravity, it doubt it takes any of this into account ( And even if we did, then we are still continuously finding new subterranean lakes).

A slice through the Earth, and the whole thing; red shows unusually soft, weak rock saturated with water, and blue shows unusually stiff rock.

Read more: Foxnews

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

Actually, in the article, it does state this:

Every sea, river and underground lake would fit into what looks like a tiny blue 'blister' on the side of our planet.

Key words - "Every" and "underground lake"

I'm calling BS.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WiseThinker

This picture is still inaccurate to every degree, what about all the subterranean lakes?

JUST check the math!

I mean, "think" about it! If it even (incorrectly) only encompasses "just" the saline oceans??

Just "THINK!"

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Present your data to the contrary, then.

The mass of all of the water on Earth is estimated at 1.35E18 metric tons. You do the math.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I'm pretty sure this is talking about FRESHwater. Not all water. That little bubble would completely disappear into the Marianas Trench without so much as a wave to James Cameron.

Agreed, it's bollox ... political bumbo jumbo ...

Debunking this, is

Atlantic ocean, average depth 3339 meters, or 3 kilometers.

Atlantic ocean, areal 106 400 000 square kilometers.

total volume 3.5 * 10^8 cubic kilometers

V=(4/3)*pi*r^3

Radius of such an object ... 437 kilometers. GIven, that this about 20% of the ocean surface (water) on earth, that will give us 5 times this, or about 2000 kilometer radius, of this ball. And given that the Earths radius is 6371 kilometers.

That's a big god damn ball ... that ball on the image is therefore ... bogus

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Atlantic ocean, average depth 3339 meters, or 3 kilometers.

Atlantic ocean, areal 106 400 000 square kilometers.

total volume 3.5 * 10^8 cubic kilometers

V=(4/3)*pi*r^3

Radius of such an object ... 437 kilometers. GIven, that this about 20% of the ocean surface (water) on earth, that will give us 5 times this, or about 2000 kilometer radius, of this ball. And given that the Earths radius is 6371 kilometers.

That's a big god damn ball ... that ball on the image is therefore ... bogus

THANKS folr "converting, from "miles" to "Metric"! The units may change, the MATH? Stays the same....care to "work it through" again?? I have...several times....I get the SAME results. (Keeping with the "Primary Audience", as I perceive them to be.....the USA......however, even IF many in the USA are not well-versed with the Metric System (yet)....rest assured that I AM!! So, feel free to use whichever unit of measurement is most comfortable....I will adjust......

Hope YOU can "show" your "work" (meaning, "show the MATHS")......OK? Thanks, (in advance).....

edit on Wed 9 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It isn't a scary image when you see how small the crust is in relation to the rest of the Earth. It is all relative.

edit on 9-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

Uh, no.

Five times the volume won't give you a sphere of five times the radius. Remember, the radius is cubed. Redo your math.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join