It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture shows how all the water on Earth would fit into one 860-mile-wide ball

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by boncho

This is just an estimate.....You can't physically weigh the earth, or the water for that matter.....You would need to know the approximate depth of the water and how much ground the water covered to come up with the exact number....

Your "estimate" is based on what they say the earth weighs and the water! Did they throw the earth on a scale and subtract the water to find the weight?? Come on!!

To find out a better estimate you would need the approximate depth of the water worldwide and how many miles of water is at this depth to calculate the total.....These numbers are bogus, plain and simple!

It's not magic.

Have you heard of ocean mapping?

Calculating the weight of the planet.

You may as well ask yourself how does a scale know how much you weigh?

It's the equivalent of the question you asked.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by tjack
I saw this pic (or similar) a couple years ago, it also had a sphere representing all the air on earth (adjusted to sea level density) next to the ball of water. It inspired me to calculate how big the ball of meat comprised of all the humans on the earth would be.

I used the density of ground beef and an average human weight of around 125 lbs (children really pull it down) and came up with a sphere right around a kilometer in diameter (if I recollect correctly).

It was a surprisingly small ball of meat.
edit on 8-5-2012 by tjack because: (no reason given)

Now you just have to find a ball of Season-All about 20 meters in diameter. And an onion about 100 meters in diameter...

...a mile wide grate and a mountain of hickory. Fire up a portion of the Yellowstone caldera, (I think we'll only need the small back burner), and it's manburgers for everyone!

I like the way you think.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
You all realize the only way we would run out of water is if the population gets far too great right? Water is a form of energy... law of thermodynamics, energy can be changed but neither created nor destroyed.

We are not running short on water. You drink it, you perspire and urinate... it goes back into the ground or into the air. That's what makes clouds... and then it rains.

I love people saying we are running out of water.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigshow
You all realize the only way we would run out of water is if the population gets far too great right? Water is a form of energy... law of thermodynamics, energy can be changed but neither created nor destroyed.

We are not running short on water. You drink it, you perspire and urinate... it goes back into the ground or into the air. That's what makes clouds... and then it rains.

I love people saying we are running out of water.

You add salt to it, you can't drink it.

Oops.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Outofcontrol

go ahead - the volume of a sphre = 4/3 pi r3

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
So, imagine rolling that ball of water over into the gulf, right above that spot where the BP oil leak was happening. It sure seems like the huge spill would contaminate that ball of water pretty quickly.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I really had to do the math myself to actually believe such a claim.

And yet, although at least ten other people (who awarded 'stars') are as incorrect as you, still.....no "math" proof has been shown?

Try it this way, for "back of the napkin" simplicity:

Total surface area of Earth (in miles, can convert to Metric if you wish) ~ 200,000,000 square. (Slightly rounded up, for ease of math). 70% of that area is water. So, ~140,000,000 square. Now, it gets tough, we need (for the oceans, at least) some sort of average, for the depth, in order to get cubic miles. At its deepest, say the Mariana Trench, etc, it's just under 7 miles, at most. But, of course, that is an extreme.

Wiki is handiest for an answer of an 'average' depth --- about 2.35 miles. Now, the math is easy (if large).

Of course, Wiki already gives us the approximate total volume of the oceans --- 1.3 billion cubic kilometres (converting, it is back to miles --- 311,886,586).

Now, as the formula for a sphere is in a post just above, plugin these numbers to find the "unknown"....radius, or 'r'.

Here it is again: V = (4/3) × pi × r3 ( -with 'r3' = 'radius cubed')

Here, to make it even easier, is an online volume calculator that works if you already know the radius:

Calculator

So, we can plug in the radius from the article (860 miles /2 = 430 miles) and see what the answer is....if it's close to the approximate total volume of the oceans, from Wiki above (~312,000,000 cubic miles), well....then? What do you say?

Here is the exact answer: 333,038,142.8119516 (Let's drop the decimals, and round down): 330,000,000 cubic miles.

Hmmmmmm.....well, those extra 21,000,000 cubes account for the difference between the oceans, and the rest of the bodies of water, and aquifers, etc....and any errors in the estimated averages.....(and that bottle of Arrowhead in the fridge, too!)

edit on Tue 8 May 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
How large would a sphere of crude oil be? Could all the crude deposits be calculated? That would be an interesting ball to see.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

This kind of thread is why i Love ATS.

Come here, see a video picture,, intriguing and begs a question.
Is it correct?
Then all the great math minds here give out wonderful answers with the math to show the logic of their thinking.
I am not good with numbers, but can understand an argument laid out as evidenced here by this one, and many others. I might or might not agree, but can at least see the meat of the thread shown in the post answers given by our fellow members.

Just had to say,,,
Thanks.

(And in my opinion,, I think someones math has to be wrong,, not enough water in that ball.)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Originally posted by Outofcontrol
I'm sorry... I can't believe that.

I dont think thats accurate. I really had to do the math myself to actually believe such a claim.

Thats what i was thinking. I believe this signals a deception into leading the masses that water shortages are . a global thing. But i actually believe it is a case of making profit from water due to the soon to be loss in revenue from oil. Oil is yesterday, technology has moved us on. Watch this space regarding a water conspiracy and remember this thread.
I was right about Egypt

They could go hand in hand
water and hydrogen extraction, and combustion creating water

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That is odd, was researching the depth of the pacific ocean the other day and there are some spooky deep trenches, and its a pretty big, deep ocean, the Pacific alone would be more than this.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
The article claims this is the volume of surface water so I assume it doesn't include aquifers and other underground water?

Apparently it does

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Here is another source for the info from a USGS website.

It sure seems unbelievable but the math seems to add up (although I suck at higher math)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by jazz10

Why is the ball over north america..?

Its a conspiracy, QUICK, run for the hills!>!!!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen23

You can try it yourself:

I think someones math has to be wrong...

It was, what did I write? 140,000,000 square miles for total surface area of the oceans? Based on Wiki, the estimated average ocean depth is about 2.35 miles. (Recall, the Mariana Trench at nearly 7, as one of the deepest spots in any ocean).

So, 140,000,000 x 2.35 = 329,000,000....since we multiplied miles square by miles deep, then that is 329 million cubic miles, yes?

Those are still in the ballpark, for numbers as posted previously. Just a matter of understanding the relationship of a sphere's volume, versus when it is "spread out" in a layer. A principle of three dimensions that many just don't consider.

(At my airline, some years back, there used to be a Colorado versus Texas rivalry....the joke was, if you could somehow use an iron to make Colorado "flat", then it'd be bigger than Texas!)

To further grasp the "power" of volume measurements.....consider the Sun, versus the Earth. The Sun is about 110 times wider (in diameter) than the Earth.....110 imaginary "earths" side-by-side to equal the "width" of the Sun.

NOW....if the Sun were hollow? Then you could fit about 960,000 sperical "earths" into the imaginary hollow Sun!

Just ponder that mental image.......here, this may help:

www.suntrek.org...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital

Originally posted by facelift
reply to post by jazz10

Why is the ball over north america..?

Its a conspiracy, QUICK, run for the hills!>!!!!

Its a another tool in the shed, QUICK, lock the doors!>!!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Recently I see Great Lakes Conspiracy Theory from Jesse Ventura and I was amazed on how the USA lets companies take their water to sell it to other countries, I don't understand why the USA don't treat water like gold, they should keep the military watching the fresh water from the USA because it is the most important thing they have.

They need to avoid that companies take the water without paying.

View the video to understand what is going on.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I guess you haven't read the entire thread, and seen the math?:

....the Pacific alone would be more than this.

Try to visualize it this way, maybe it will help: Diameter of Earth (average, because it's not a perfect sphere): 7,913 miles.

Depth of deepest part of any ocean? Just under 7 miles. What percentage of 7,913 is 7?

Therefore, the actual amount of ocean water, whilst appearing vast and "deep" to we puny Humans, is an amazingly tiny fraction of the total globe.

Try this mental image: A normal apple.....just the skin of that apple represents the thickness (in a "scale model" sense) of the Earth's crust (not the oceans...I mean, the hard crust. The crust is average 9 to 10 miles thick. (Much thicker some places, less thick in others).

Here's one more mental exercise:

To scale size, the earths crust would be about the thickness of 3 ordinary sheets of paper on a basketball. The thickness of a chicken eggshell would be 16 pieces of paper on a basketball, so the earths crust is 5 times thinner than a typical egg shell. And the crust is only as thick as the egg shell at its maximum thickness underneath Nepal.

Wiki.answers

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I did,, and thanks,,
should have had a teacher in grade school that said it as well,,, volume was a tricky one for me for some reason,, I get it more now.

as an aside,,, This makes me want to give more credence to the Hollow Earth Theory,,, as it makes me realize how much 'earth' is IN Earth......
mind boggling
and cool when you can grasp it mentally.

Again Love this about ATS
thanks again

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

The radius of the earth is 6371 km, the average depth of the ocean is about 4.3 km. You can use the surface area of the earth times the depth times 70% to get a volume of about 488,000,000 km and the earth's volume is about 345,000,000,000, about 700 times more than the volume of the sea, so the picture of the earth should look about 700 times the size of the spherical volume of the water... approximately. So, the picture is very reasonable.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join