It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Odd dots on the Sun?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I came accross this and I normally would not just believe something like this as I think there is a logical explanation for everything. This however ha me a bit baffled. I know you get sun reflection in the camera you end up with a black dot in the center of the sun in video. This video will show that there are 2 black dots? Check it out. This guy sounds believable to me but I am no expert, so see what you guys think.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I am no expert, but I suspect he just damaged his new camera BY POINTING IT AT THE FRICKIN SUN FOR FIVE MINUTES.

Just a hunch.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't get it......
Why is there even one dot there?

I guess if you stand and stare at the sun long enough though you will start seeing spots.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Usually when you point a camera or video camera directly at the sun...it will reflect back and you will end up with a black circle in the middle of the sun. This has been know for a long time. This however has two dots...this as far as I know is not normal. It could be something else that is totally normal I just don't know.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
He sounds like the Sex box guys from Family guy...

You can see that main dot with almost any 2 megapixel camera or better. The dot below it must be a reflection of the bright center that causes that darkening effect so it appears to be 2 separate dots, but is just a reflection of the first off the clouds perhaps.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I wonder if he saw these black dots with the naked eye also? I doubt he did.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
I wonder if he saw these black dots with the naked eye also? I doubt he did.

I would think that would be a little hard to do. I mean staring straight into the Sun is not recommended. I swear that is what is wrong with my vision today. I use to do that when I was a kid. Stupid things kids do when they don't know any better.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Yes not recommend but you still can.Idk, still wonder if could see with out lookin through a camera lens.
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I spit my coffee out. Thanks for that laugh.

As far as the spots I have no idea.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's a sensor artifact that occurs when you take a photograph of a very bright object that's bright enough that the pixels in the brightest part of the photograph are "overloaded".

Have a look here for a little more on the subject and an example.

Normally when taking a photograph of the sun in a clear sky there would be only a single dot at the center of the sun (which would be the brightest part of the photograph), but with clouds in the sky partially blocking the sun, there could be multiple dots/artifacts since the cloud is dividing up the sun into multiple bright areas.

Not all sensors "overload" in the same way, but if you want to see if yours does this, there is not much danger to the sensor as long as you don't point it at the sun and leave it there for some time (ie. mounted on a tripod) whilst the shutter is open.

Of course you should not look at the sun through optics of any kind unless you know exactly what you are doing, and whilst pointing a camera at the sun while it's in your hand poses little threat to it, the sun can be dangerous, and I take no responsibility for any damage caused to.you or you camera if you try this.

top topics

join