It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Van impounded despite phone number on the side.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Hi.

www.upi.com...

Jez Luff, 38, of Littlehampton, England, said police told him his stolen van was found with the engine running April 28 and was told he would have to pay $502 for three days of storage before authorities would release it because officers were unable to find a way to contact him, The Sun reported Monday. However, Luff said his business's name, Web address and phone number are printed in large letters on the side of the vehicle.

Okay this isn't a groundbreaking conspiracy or anything but doesn't it concern you?

I'm no genius but come on even I could have figured this one out!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

But, but, but, aside from the phone number, business name, and web site, there was absolutely no way to contact the owner. Well, okay, it did have a license plate. But still, how much deep research are these guys expected to do?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
It's a revenue gathering scheme.

I was looking at my city's budget recently, and saw that as a percentage of the total budget, revenue from traffic tickets, impounds, and court fees has gone up exponentially each year. The population and median income has remained pretty much the same..

I think as cash-strapped municipalities are having more and more trouble with their budgets, they are instructing officers to write as many tickets as they can in order to increase revenue.

I live in the US, but I think that very well could be going on everywhere.

The prices at impound lots are astronomical. This case in particular seems like extortion to me. I hope this guy doesn't get victimized by the police after having his vehicle stolen. Seems immoral and petty.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Maybe they are waiting for the DNA results.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

But, but, but, aside from the phone number, business name, and web site, there was absolutely no way to contact the owner. Well, okay, it did have a license plate. But still, how much deep research are these guys expected to do?

Sounds like illegal use of license plate information had they used it to contact him. They're only supposed to be used for writing tickets and fines no?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Maybe they are waiting for the DNA results.

This wouldn't happen if we all just got rfid tagged, fingerprinted and retina scanned.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

A police representative said officers decided it was not "practical" to call the number on the van.

Read more: www.upi.com...

The homing pigeons are far more practical.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

I would be pissed off if they tried to charge me $500.

If you want to commit a crime you'd be wise to do in their jurisdiction.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I will never be tagged,printed or scanned...
I just remembered that I have been printed.
I also remembered that I had a cat scan last year.
The only thing left is I haven't been tagged!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

If you bought a mobile phone or received a new credit card in the past year, chances are there is an rfid chip in them. 3 for 3.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

My cellphone is an old nokia that I have had for at
least 9 years

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

reply to post by boncho

May I have your social security # plox.
May I have your birth certificate plox.
May I have your registration plox.

Hrmm, you are on a winner there, keeping yourself immune to the loar.
!!!!!!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I have fun pulling apart mobiles.. especially the new ones, because they're rubbish,

what does an rfid chip look like? Hmm.. you mean the Sim? ollldd old tech. And needed. And also okay'd by the people wot use a mobile.

That's not fair dude, like saying "You all have secret numbers applied to you, and anyone in the government can find you at any time day or night..." when referring to a phone number.

My avatar has not yet reached fruition. We're not quite yet in a scanner darkly. (BOOK not movie, though movie is brilliant)

QUITE!
edit on 8-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I think it may only be the US and Canada, but mobile phone manufacturers have installed an rfid chip in the backs of most phones. Usually where the cover comes off by the battery.

It was installed under the premise that an rfid system would be set up later down the road to be used with your mobile phone, but from what I know it's there for no reason at the moment.

It looks like a black sticker.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

ez Luff, 38, of Littlehampton, England, said police told him his stolen van was found with the engine running April 28 and was told he would have to pay $502 for three days of storage before authorities would release it because officers were unable to find a way to contact him, The Sun reported Monday.

they just wanted to tax his ass $502
not help him recover his vehicle

police are there to help tax
your ass

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This kind of happened to me personally once, when i lived in Ireland a few years back. But i think i would argue my case was much, much worse. I had a motorcycle (Brand new kawazaki) that was stolen right from under me, with the perpetrators almost killing me when they assaulted me in the process. There where about 20 of them, and they literally lifted the bike away, leaving me all bloody and broken on the ground, but luckily i got away alive, and contacted the police, telling them my story what happened. They wanted me to identify the perps but it was impossible to remember faces since i had never seen them before and was too busy trying to protect my face when they was punching me to notice anything other than they ages (around 17-20 year olds). Anyway i told the cops that i really would like my bike back ASAP so if they could get it back for me i would appreciate it (this was more important to me than my life it seemed, at the time. Probably because the shock hadn´t settled and i hadn´t yet realised i was lucky to be alive).

3 days later the cops called me, they had gotten the bike in their impound lot and wanted me to go pick it up, and despite me having no transport to get there and also no helmet (since it was stolen by the thieves) they told me that i had to pay them 50 euros each day it was impounded but that i could come pick it up anytime i wanted... no hurry.

When i finally got there and payed the fee to get the bike back.. it was so broken (the thieves had apparently ran it into a wall or something) it was hard to drive it without it wobbling....

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I had a very similar thing happen to me when I was younger.

I lived in a house with one roommate, the house only had room for one car to park in the driveway, so I parked in the along side the house on the street (there was no sings posted restricting any parking on the street). Well I went on vacation for a week and a half, on the fourth day of my vacation my house mate calls me at the vacation phone number I had left for emergency use. She tells me that she came home today and my car was no longer parked where I had left it.

I call the local police and report my car stolen, they tell me they have no record of it being towed and take my information on the car so they can look for it as a stolen car. I gave them the contact info for my place of vacation as well as two of my close friends numbers in case they need to contact me if/when they find my car. Well my vacation ended and I come home to no information about my car still. I head down to the police station the day after I get back from my vacation, talk to the clerk at the front desk and she promptly informs me that my car was towed and ticketed by officer "Joe Blow", and it has been sitting in the impound lot for about 6 days now. Come to find out that the city has an ordinance that does not allow for cars to be parked along the street in one place for more than 72 hours, now I I also find out that I owe close to 900.00 dollars in fines and impound lot fees.

The police never tried to contact either me or my housemate, never even tried to knock or leave a note on the door of the house the car was parked in front of, they just towed it and and then failed to report to dispatch in a prompt matter that they had towed in it, so when I called they had no record of the tow at that time.

In the end I could not afford to pay the fees and fines, so I ended up biking to and from work for several months before I could afford another junker car to drive.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is illegal. If your vehicle has been taken through crime and the police have collected it and can not contact you - they have no right to charge you for their assistance, whether that be for the retrieval of the vehicle or the impound until the appropriate person is contacted - We pay taxes for them services. I would go to your local newspaper with the names of all the officers that participated in this scam.
edit on 8-5-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Cops are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. I'm guessing none of them had made detective yet.

Reminds me of the time my car was stolen in Rochester, NY when I lived there. The cops found it a month later only a mile from my house. It had about 12 parking tickets under the wiper and was about to be towed when someone decided to run the VIN. GENIUS!

edit on 8-5-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

So did you have to pay the parking tickets? I sure hope not but I wouldn't be surprised if you said yes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join