It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God created Time, how long did it take?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Time and space are not discrete. They are extremes of the same phenomenon. Space is a function of the distribution of matter. The more dense the matter, the more the space time continuum is distorted, which acts on less massive objects to draw them toward the more massvie object by because the approacing object is drawn by the distortion of space and time. Time is a function of motion because without motion there would be no time. Time as a concept is the means by which calibrate the inteval between events, just as the distance traveled is a function of space.

When we measure time, we do not do so directly, in the way that we measure space in terms of distance, which is a direct measurement. Time however being a function of motion must be measured by calibrating motion. It may be a pendulum, a mainspring, the action of gravity on sand in an hour glass, the rotation of the earth, the orbit of the earth, and the vibration of certain atoms when heated.

Clocks do not measure time anymore that does a merrygoround, the only difference between a clock and a merrygoround is the calibration.

So God did create time, but the time it took him to do so, is immaterial and non-sensical, because God is eternal and does not inhabit directly the realms of space and time.

Your perception of time is highly subjective, and is not shared by all cultures. Time is what it is and although it is relative, the relativity we perceive is more a matter of culture and personal experience.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Thus time IS the 4th dimension.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I can't believe the size of the debate on this. the question was "How long did it take God to create time?" The question supposes, theoretically, that God does exist, and more over that he created time. In that case, it didn't take anytime because there wasn't time to measure it by. time is the progression of existence from it's creation to it's destruction. Thereby, time had to be the first thing God created, since by making anything he started time.. Our current definition of time has nothing to do with cosmological time, it's the progression of the sun through the sky, an hour is simply 15degrees of celestrial movement when viewed on earth. Cosmological time is what God would have created, not your watch.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
Yes but that still does not get to the question at hand: How long did it take God to create time?

Like I said, God didn't create time, we did. Only we observe it, only we define it. God is omnipresent, or so the story goes, which means that he is in at all places at all times. If this is so, he has no perception of time unless he chooses to see things as a mortal, which he could probably do, since he is also omnipotent, meaning he can do anything he wants.

All of which is a bunch of crap.

[edit on 1-10-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nate329
If God created everything, he created Time...or the concept of Time. Well, how long did it take?

God created the structure of the Universe on the first day. Time is a function of space so this too was complete on the first day. Guess what the answer is to your question.

Genesis 1

The Beginning

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day���.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
time is an illusion which essentially does not exist.

we age due to the effects of gravity on our bodies, yet our souls are eternal

everything in the universe moves in cycles, and everything is a continous cycle of lessons

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
You might as well ask

If god created a ruler , how long was it?

time is no different than any other dimension of length, therefore if anyone exists outside of time, they would see it like a cube made out of 2 dimensional squares that had been smashed together.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
HA! god create time? time is nothing more than a man made illusion.
pretty simple really

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

Originally posted by daniel191159
Theoretically, the Big Bang was created when God said, "Let there be light."

When the universe was created, so was time. It was simultaneous (from the theoretical viewpoint of a parallel universe).

That seems to be a logical way to look at it but I would like to hear other opinions on the matter.

OK. The Big Bang theory draws no correlation to the beginning of the physical universe and God saying, "Let there be light". In fact, the theory makes the distinction that God actually didn't say anything at all, and that the Big Bang was a purely physical process.

The fact about time is that it doesn't exist at all. Time is simply the measurement of our perception of the world around us. Time does not progress, the universe progresses. Time is a system created in order to mark patterns in our world, and compare previous findings to the present in order to better predict the future. We use it to develop timeframes for determining how and what types of work we would need to do to meet our goals and dreams before we meet our demise. It is used to divide the day and night into, "my time", "your time", and "sleepy time". It also helps us to not burn dinner.

With that, time is yours to do what you will. God did not give us this time, we gave it to ourselves. Take comfort knowing that if you feel like you are wasting your time, you truly are, and you owe shame of that not to God, but yourself. And maybe your children...

Ok, let me reword this the way I meant to say it. The event, Big Bang, could be interpreted as God saying, "Let there be light."

You, along with many people, are taking this question to mean, when was the human concept of time created. I believe the real question posted meant to ask, when was the essence of time (not the label or human concept but the flow the fourth dimmentional construct) created in relation to the other dimmensions of existance.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I beieve God did create time. Early in Genesis it tells us that they evening and morning were the first day. God dwells in eternity where time doesn't exist. Jesus has entered time on several occasions and then returned to eternity. I think it is amazing that someday I will experience life without time.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
poor dbrandt.....

oh well

now what was I going to say,
ah yes time dosent exits and neither does god!!!(i can vouch for the later)

time doesent have a speed or fixed constant
because take for example a humming bird or a fly

they both see "time" at different speeds

therfore messuring the time it takes for somthing to happen
and saying it takes x ammount of time for this to happen
is errelevent.

and dont say
well If there is no time then evrything would happen all at once.

things take longer because of phsical effects like gravity n stuff.
like a 1 tonne stone would fall as fast as a marble
not because thats how long it takes.

if there was no gravity, it would take for ever
If they were made of photons It would take C speed

any 1 see what I mean,

or re-word it so IT makes more sence

I aint no phisicist

[edit on 3-10-2004 by TrentReznor]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
From what we all seem to be saying here is; It depends on an individuals concept of what time is.

What does everyone think time "actually" is? I think we need to establish a similar understanding or definition of what "time" is before we can discuss its creation date.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
part of the reason for time is to limit things. Time is where mankind is put and this limits our lifespan with our current physical bodies. God decreased life spans from hundreds of years to 70 or 80.

To those who say God doesn't exist, realize that that doesn't make it true. But that is your choice to believe that way. Choices do have consequences, so make sure you have made the right choice.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by dbrandt]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
To those who say God DOES exist, realize that that doesn't make it true

this site below will answer all your questions about time!!!
www.iep.utm.edu...

excript
Aristotle provides an early, careful answer to the question "What is time?" when he says time is the "number of movement in respect of the before and after, and is continuous.... In respect of size there is no minimum; for every line is divided ad infinitum. Hence it is so with time." [Physics, 220a] Occasionally Aristotle speaks as if time were motion, but in these passages, he also asserts that time, though linked to motion, is neither the circular motion of the heavens (Plato's view) nor any other motion. He believes time is something by which we measure motion.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
God didn't create time. God just is. Humans came up with the concept of time. God transcends human time concepts. God is in the past, present, and future all at the same time.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticalUnicorn
If all humans were wiped out tomorrow, time would continue to move forward.

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Time would not. However things would continue to go about their business.

How do you figure time would not move forward?
If [God] wiped out humans today at 4 - but left a clock - and then brought them back an hour later, the clock say 5, the clock, nor time, stopped simply because humans did not exist. The clock, as time, would continue. To me, your statement is contradictory.

As for how long did it take God? Obviously depends on if you belive in the Creation, but, for sake of the thread at hand - my opinion is that is an in-answerable question. Too many factors. Ie: the bible referrs to the Creation as being 7 days. The Bible referrs later in books that a day to God is as 1,000 years. But then, add to this the human time-change concept, whereas Methusela lived 969 years, is that 969 of present day years? Is that as 1 day to God?

To many questions lay within the question to really be answered.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cearbhall
God didn't create time. God just is. Humans came up with the concept of time. God transcends human time concepts. God is in the past, present, and future all at the same time.

Once again, you speak of the lable. Anyway, what does God being all times at once have anything to do with perception of time on this plane of existance. Also I think you mean he is in the past, present, and future at once rather than he IS the past, present, and future (though he may be metaphorically, this is highly unlikely to be able to be taken litterally).

CO

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Everyone & Everything is everyone & everything, at the same time & for all time. www.meherbaba.org...
Time is part of the human illusion.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor

I don't know how much you know about Jesus but I will assume you know that He bore the sin of mankind and each person must individually accept Him as Lord and Savior to have eternal life and live forever. With that having been said my question to you is, What if you are wrong? I 'm looking for a serious answer as I'm asking this seriously. Thanks

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt

Originally posted by TrentReznor

I don't know how much you know about Jesus but I will assume you know that He bore the sin of mankind and each person must individually accept Him as Lord and Savior to have eternal life and live forever. With that having been said my question to you is, What if you are wrong? I 'm looking for a serious answer as I'm asking this seriously. Thanks

I've been waiting for this to turn into a sermon.

What if [I][we] are right?

BTW - this threa is about God/Time - not about who's right or worng.

Misfit

[Edit = added "BTW" sentence, immediately after post]

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Misfit]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join