It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i just got really scared!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
this morning i was checking out my local weather forecast on a government site like i do each day.
today was different.
they had posted a banner that said 'be prepared for an emergency and have enough supplies to last for 72 hours'
i live in the middle of ontario canada,nothing much happens here except the snow (none this year though).
what emergency? why did the gov't post this? 2 bottles of water a day for each person,ration your food etc...
what the hell is going on?
here is my weather site. the warning is on the top right
www.weatheroffice.gc.ca...
this warning has never been here before,or i would have seen it!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

It looks to me like some kind of promotion or campaign to help people learn to be prepared.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Emergency preparedness week...did you happen to see that?

Here is some more information about it:

EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS WEEK

Calm down...all is well!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

nothing to worry about...

The "Get Prepared" campaign encourages Canadians to be prepared to cope on their own for at least the first 72 hours of an emergency, enabling first responders to focus on those in urgent need.

well. at least as far as that is concerned...

you can still worry over...

solar flares knocking out soho ..

fruit of the loom bombers...

nuclear radiation from japan...

or nothing at all...

your choice..

peace...

link   
The link on the Warning leads to this website: www.getprepared.gc.ca...

It is essentially a webpage brochure on been prepared for an emergency, Good website, Good advice

link   
It's Emergency Preparedness Week.

There is no imminent threat - it's simply a week devoted to discussion and learning about how to be prepared for an emergency. Don't freak out, instead take this opportunity to learn what you can do to prepare for a natural disaster, or other event of that sort.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Ok, I think some of you all need to stop drinking the water.

When the Aliens land, then it's time to panic.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Ok, I think some of you all need to stop drinking the water.

When the Aliens land, then it's time to panic.

"When the Aliens land..."?

What do you know that we don't?

Are they hostile...and when are they coming?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is EXACTLY why it was posted! For people who've no clue about Disaster Prepardness, what you need, what can happen, what goods to have on hand, and how long you might be inconvenienced.

What if your phones out, computers out, lights are out, cant get gas(petrol) because the pumps are out and electricity is out, the ATM machines are out...and the stores are out of food and none is coming because the trucks have no gas and cant get around all the vehicles stuck everywhere??.

No one to call...nothing to see...you dont know whats happening or why due to no radio or tv or internet....oh. And say your kids are at school without the phone, in the dark, no way home and you cant reach them, and they cant get to or reach you.

Scary? It can get very bad...and a lot worse than that with chemical and other types of disaster..

Be prepared, not scared. There are many places for info, but Ill give you just one place: a good one to start with in the US. READY.GOV

Everyone should be prepared. Medicines? Glasses? Important papers copied and put away somewhere? got tolilet paper? Drinking water?

Ive said all this to make you think. Please take care and pre-pare! Dont be scared! Whatever you can do for yourself and family (and pets!)...is more than what you have now.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Oh you didn't know? I'm slowly turning into a reptile and they told me so.

They consider themselves to be frenemies.

Nothing to worry about.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

Calm down...all is well!
The irony of it, is actually quite amusing.

If/when any sort of natural disaster does occur, or anything at all, ANYTHING!, many people get upset and shout out, "WHY DID THEY NOT WARN US!!!!"

But then as soon as anything is mentioned, even if it is only a simple notion, designed to give people a reason to just think ahead, in terms of 'What If' scenarios, and people freak out.

It's a lose/lose situation.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by jerryznv

Calm down...all is well!
The irony of it, is actually quite amusing.

If/when any sort of natural disaster does occur, or anything at all, ANYTHING!, many people get upset and shout out, "WHY DID THEY NOT WARN US!!!!"

But then as soon as anything is mentioned, even if it is only a simple notion, designed to give people a reason to just think ahead, in terms of 'What If' scenarios, and people freak out.

It's a lose/lose situation.

You make a very good point!

Those that are prepared for the very simple idea of a interruption (emergency) of sorts are the last ones to panic...and those that are oblivious to the idea that something might happen...go crazy at the idea of an "emergency"!

The site I linked in my first post has just the basic recommendations for being prepared for an emergency or interruption...and has some relatively good advice!

In this day and age though...it has been labeled emergency preparedness...back in the day...it would of just been simple common sense preparedness!

Funny times we live in!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
No this will be Irony.

Those that did prepare, are most likely to perish then the ones who didn't prepare.

Isn't that usually how it works out?
edit on 8-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i guess the whole point of my thread is why all of a sudden is my gov't just now posting this on the weather site?
do they know something we don't?!!! me and my family are prepared for almost anything.
but why now put this up?!!! never was there before today!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Originally posted by reficul

i guess the whole point of my thread is why all of a sudden is my gov't just now posting this on the weather site?
do they know something we don't?!!! me and my family are prepared for almost anything.
but why now put this up?!!! never was there before today!
lol. C'mon now. You're not even trying. There is nothing 'sudden' about it.

The fact that you have never noticed it before, does not necessarily mean that this is the first time.

[color=B5FFF0]Launched in 2006 by Public Safety Canada in collaboration with the Canadian Red Cross, St. John Ambulance, and The Salvation Army, [color=B5FFF0]the "72 Hours...Is Your Family Prepared?"campaign, asks Canadians to do three things:

Know the risks in their community;
Make an emergency plan; and,
Get an emergency kit.

The campaign includes a range of publications and promotional materials, a dedicated website www.GetPrepared.ca, social media, advertising, collaborative arrangements, exhibits and special events such as [color=B5FFF0]Emergency Preparedness Week, held the first week each May.

[color=B5FFF0]The campaign has proven successful, with each year showing an increase in the percentage of Canadians taking action to prepare. Since the campaign was launched, approximately three million unique visitors have accessed the campaign website (www.GetPrepared.ca) and over two million emergency preparedness publications have been distributed by Public Safety Canada and partners.

www.getprepared.gc.ca...

edit on 5/8/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

top topics

join