It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out with little ones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RN311
reply to post by ottobot

no problems getting him used to being outside!! he loves being outside, we spend alot of time up at the barn and I've taken him on a couple of trail rides with me, I have thought about the whole keeping quiet thing because I know this will be a problem. My little guy is a talker (of course it's not a lot of real words right now lol) I've been trying to get him to understand quiet and shhhhh, but my problem is he's really not old enough to get it yet I will try to find some kind of candy I can give him (that he won't choke on) thats a really good idea. I'm glad I only have to worry about one muchkin I can't image having 3 or 4 to worry about. Atleast your preparing now!!

Have you tried teaching him sign language? Little ones learn it very quickly, and if you practice signing without speech (as in, you do not respond unless the child is signing), the children will learn this habit as well.

This site is very helpful for common words: www.mybabycantalk.com...

For a treat, you can give fruit leather. (You can find these as the "fruit rollups" in the produce section of a grocery store, or make your own with applesauce or other fruit.) My little guy (10 mos) will chow down on it, and it keeps him quiet, too. It's soft, chewy, fruity, and disintegrates easily.

I like your idea of learning the native plants, definitely worthwhile, even if you never have to bug out.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by UdderlyInsane
[morelol yeah I have to "pocket guides" that are already in my BOB and I have a bigger thicker book that has better pictures, I might tear out the ones that are the "most common" and take those. can you recommend any good herb books?? I'm really interested in learning how to do oils and such I do grow my own lavender to dry and keep around the house. I'm a little obsessed with lavender lol but would like to know more about herbal medicine, we studied some herbs when I was in nursing school but it was more along the lines of why you shouldn't take them.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I really like the idea of the fruit leather that sounds really cool, I try to make as much of his food as possible and that will be a nice one to add, I'll have to google it and see how it's done, and no I haven't tried sign language but that also sounds like something I will give a shot, plus it would be nice to teach him a few things so he can ask for what he wants instead of just pointing and going "uhhhh uhhhhh" lol thanks again star for you!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

Fruit (or vegetable, if you want) leather is super easy. All you do is take the puree that you'd otherwise use for baby food. add a little lemon juice, and dry it. I usually just cut it into triangle slices or diagonal strips and roll them up.

Also, another good source for information on edibles is local wildflower books.

And, I have a huge book of herbal medicine (similar to Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine) that I reference.
edit on 5/8/2012 by ottobot because: fixed link

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

I love lavender as well and keep a bit planted at all times, it helps keep fleas at bay too. I have Mosby's Handbook of Herbs & Natural Supplements (4th edition) it was mandatory for my current classes and fell in love with it. Due to space and weight if I could only take a few books it would be that one, Natural Health Herbal Medicine by Andrew Chevallier FNIMH and my pocket book Teacher Family Healing Herbs of Home and Hearth by Ann Marie Wishard. The first has no images but tons of information to avoid interactions and to help with dosage and uses. The last two have images. The second text has how-tos on decoctions, tinctures, infusions, oils, and other little tid-bits here and there. There is even a section on creating an herbal first aid kit. I hunt for my books cheap and managed to get most half price from individuals on Amazon...stupid textbooks are never cheap though.

Just a thought but if you have a tubby little one like I do...(she is not over weight just still have some baby folds) zinc works like the commercial rash creams and will help keep rashes at bay. I also packed some lanolin for feet and elbows.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
you mean you havn't prepared your BBOB

edit on 5/8/2012 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by UdderlyInsane

thanks! I will def. add those books to my "mst read" list! you guys have been more then helpful and I greatly appreciate all the info

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join