It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bugging out with little ones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Just wondering if there are any others on here who have kids and what arrangements, alterations to your BOB your making to ensure you have everything you need for the little ones as well. I have a 17month old son. It's just the two of us and I'll be trying to make it about 20miles to my parents (assuming I'm home when the SHTF if not I'll be trying to make my way there from about 50 miles out alone since my mom is my daycare
) anyway any ideas on things i should include to make things easier traveling with a muchkin??

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RN311

ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier its extremely comfortable as may have to walk a long way plus durable

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RN311

I’m assuming you mean aside from adding diapers and wipes?

I can’t think of anything important for your BOB but for the long term you should consider lots of powdered milk and dried cereal and a means to grow fresh fruit and vegetables. You and I can sustain ourselves eating just about anything but as you know kids need certain things to grow healthy and develop properly.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I would add re-hydration packs to your bob for the little one and their favourite teddy/blanket also dried fruit or ready to eat fruit/veg puree

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Thanks!! powdered milk is def. going on the list. Also I'm thinking of stocking up on dried fruit I figure I could probably boil this up to make them soft enough to chew, and yes I've already started my diapers and wipes stockpile!!! I'm trying to stay away from canned veggies for him (high sodium content) but the kid loves his peas so I'll have to figure out something there.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by indisputable
reply to post by RN311

ERGObaby Original Baby Carrier its extremely comfortable as may have to walk a long way plus durable

already have one and I LOVE IT!!!! I might buy and extra one just to keep with the BOB

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Oh I thought you were asking about Shetland people...

What will they do if SHTF??

Will someone PLEASE think of the little people!?!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Make sure you do a practice run without relying on electronics, vehicles, or public transport.

I would try it first WITHOUT the kid. That will show you how tough it will be.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by RN311

I believe freeze dried fruit and vegetables contain less sodium than dehydrated foods and they don’t require cooking (just add water), which is better if you’re on the move.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

well If I can't use my car I do have a back up plan, I board a horse about 3 miles up the road so I'm not really worried about that part of it, the horse is a trail horse so he's used to being loaded up and I've already taken my son for a ride or two, I do need to sit down with a map and mark out some tracks through the woods avoiding the few neighborhoods there are around here though.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I'll def. have to look into that, because the veggies were my biggest worry. I guess there pretty lightweight too which means I'll be able to pack more. thanks for that tip!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RN311

RN311, I got 2 little ones and have still been running this part of the situation as well as elder family. I am keeping faith overall but still processing if there is anything I can do to help. This fuels the side of me that I tend to suppress because if anything does happen and its artificial/man made or caused I dont know how my frequency will adjust with the causers.

Back on topic though I have tried to research NBC suits for children/babies, SMH. Good luck will check here for any new tips. THANKS

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RN311
Just wondering if there are any others on here who have kids and what arrangements, alterations to your BOB your making to ensure you have everything you need for the little ones as well. I have a 17month old son. It's just the two of us and I'll be trying to make it about 20miles to my parents (assuming I'm home when the SHTF if not I'll be trying to make my way there from about 50 miles out alone since my mom is my daycare
) anyway any ideas on things i should include to make things easier traveling with a muchkin??

First option is to shore up & hunker down.

Luckily, I've only got one little guy who can't walk long distances. I've got a hip sling for him and carry him around in it as much as possible so that I am used to it and know how to adjust it when I get uncomfortable. He weighs like 30lbs, though, and so if I carry him, I will need to travel light otherwise if I want to be quick. My other two children are old enough to hurry along with me and know how to be quiet.

The most important thing where children are concerned is the parent's physical fitness. Basically, if you aren't fit, you are going to have a tough time toting around a kid or more while trying to run, hide, and survive.

Bags need to have dehydrated snacks, water packs, first aid, fishing/trapping, knives, and weather gear. Ideally, things that are compact and lightweight. Anything that you're used to taking with you to travel (disposable diapers, wipes, sippy cups, strollers, loud toys) is going to be useless if you're in a survival situation, so don't even bother with it.

Otherwise, you just need to get your kid(s) used to being outdoors. Start going on day trips just tramping around in the local wildlife reserves, prairies, forests, wilds, deserts, wherever it is that you'd potentially be bugging out to.
edit on 5/8/2012 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I believe in the USA you can get reusable tubes why not cook the fruit and veg and try these out its gonna be lighter than bottles and tins only a suggestion hope it helps

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This is important for people with children to think about. We have 3 kids and one on the way. Each has their own personal BOB with basic items that they will need. We have also packed two larger bags one has more basic needs and the other is medical supplies. I skipped the commercial carrier as my youngest is 50lbs yet at some point will not want to walk. We have a normal bed sheet packed to create a wrap to more snugly strap the youngest to one of the adults or 16 year old. I have also packed a cloths line. I have used it on hikes, each person gets a loop tied in the length of the rope to attach that way keeping track and knowing who is in need can be felt in the rope.

We have also packed feminine products, diapers, bags to dispose of such things, toilet paper, antihistamine, white willow bark, ashwagandha, arnica salve, pedialyte, and protein bars to name a few things.

I think the hardest part in traveling with not just little ones but children in general is getting them to understand severity and to stay quiet. Items to entertain and reward may also be needed. I have a stash of hard candies and gum to bribe them to stay quiet. Just remember you might have to carry more than you are used to and will suffer for it so find comfort for your feet, back and muscles.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Pedialite. Maybe one of the best things you can carry. Its just like taking water but has the electrolytes just in case it really is shtf. Also look at the plant life you will be getting into: Some are edible and beneficial, some are poisonous and detrimental. Also I carry a very strong sheet for a home-made child carrier- which also serves as a hamock, blanket, water collector and first-round filter, and many other uses.

The above poster beat me to the few things that brought me here, but the rope for walking in like is a great idea.
edit on 8-5-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

no problems getting him used to being outside!! he loves being outside, we spend alot of time up at the barn and I've taken him on a couple of trail rides with me, I have thought about the whole keeping quiet thing because I know this will be a problem. My little guy is a talker (of course it's not a lot of real words right now lol) I've been trying to get him to understand quiet and shhhhh, but my problem is he's really not old enough to get it yet I will try to find some kind of candy I can give him (that he won't choke on) thats a really good idea. I'm glad I only have to worry about one muchkin I can't image having 3 or 4 to worry about. Atleast your preparing now!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Also have thought of TREE houses but well designed to keep them out of ground risk during periods of rest.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by UdderlyInsane

We have also packed feminine products, diapers, bags to dispose of such things, toilet paper, antihistamine, white willow bark, ashwagandha, arnica salve, pedialyte, and protein bars to name a few things.

II've got pedialyte and protein bars (lots without nuts so I can share with the little one) I'm not that familar the medical properties of alot of natural items what have you packed the white willow bark, ashwagandha for?? I've bought a couple of books about wild plants you can can't eat for my area and know a couple now.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

The white willow bark is aspirin, you can brew it lightly as a tea. The ashwagandha is what some call the "mother's herb" it helps boost energy and focus but taste like a barn smells. I have tons of dried herbs, some salves, and some in oil form as this is my expertise. Now all I need is "hulk" strength to carry all my favorite books.

I have a special blend I ordered online it is called (kid-a-mind) to help calm the kids and keep them focused as well. I plan to carry as much raw garlic as I can for an antiseptic and to prevent gastrointestinal viruses. I also have some osha root, echinacea, and some elder berry syrup to prevent colds and keep immune systems up. I also have some commercial multi-vitamins per age group.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join