It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Perks: Paying for Carter’s postage, Bush’s bills, and Clinton’s rent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Isn't this just sad. They should throw them on the street and see what feels like when they lose a job. Pathetic. But, no we get to pay for their luxuries and yet, our paychecks don't surpass their spending limits. Good luck.

Presidential Perks: Paying for Carter’s postage, Bush’s bills, and Clinton’s rent

news.yahoo.com...

By Jonathan Karl, Avery Miller, Richard Coolidge & Sherisse Pham | Power Players – 2 hrs 48 mins ago

In 2010, taxpayer-financed expenses included $15,000 for Jimmy Carter's postage, $579,000 for Bill Clinton's rent and a whopping $830,000 for George W. Bush's phone bill. It adds up: All told, U.S. taxpayers were on the hook for more than $3 million of expenses for the four surviving former U.S. presidents.

They certainly don't seem to need the money. These days being a former U.S. President is a lucrative business. After all, Bill Clinton raked in more than $10 million just in speaking fees last year. George W. Bush made even more: $15 million just for giving speeches.

This entitlement for the very rich was put in place when at least one former president wasn't rich. Congress created this presidential entitlement in 1958 because Harry Truman couldn't afford to pay his bills.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Truman was a piece of sh1t

Have you seen Obama's helicopter?
Even before he was president his helicopter looked like a transformer, I mean during the campaign

Still people voted for him, yes still because that shows alot!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

They need to support themselves just like everyone else in this world.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Let's not forget 24/7 protection by Secret Service @ 2 agents per 8 hour shift x 3 per day. That alone has to run a Mil $ or more per yr for each of them.
I'd say it's time to revoke some of these perks along with lifetime pensions for any member of Congress. W hat a racket!! Serve 2 years get a hundred grand per/yr for life. No wonder every Tom, Dick and Harry wants to get elected.
Were it less lucrative perhaps we would have civic-minded folks who work with the best interests of the people at heart.
Forgive me for dreaming there, I know it can never happen here.
The gravy train will continue to run until it flies off the track.
Then they'll be on their own, just like the rest of us.
There will no small satisfaction in knowing if the system collapses these people will lose all their goodies.
Can I get an AWWW!

I forgot the biggest expense of all -
Mistresses, also known as "miscellaneous" expenses.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

AWWWW

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Lets not forget the "health plan",of all those in Congress,plus the Presidents.......................

Yes,the train has to stop one day.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I wish the article explained those numbers a bit more? An 830,000 phone bill? 15k in postage??For what??

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I was reading a thread on here which said thousands of families will be getting their unemployment checks stopped soon and they will be on their own, no money, no food, no bills paid, no nothing.

And then I read this thread.

Ex-presidents and ex-prime ministers are the biggest spongers of tax cash that ever breathed. They don't do anything for this money. They don't need this money and are already quite wealthy in their own right.

I would much rather my tax coin go to help a poor family in need rather than these greedy bone idle leeches.

top topics

join