It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Home bags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Hi Guys n Girls,

Just a quick question really, I hear lots of people talking about BOB's on here and what's the best thing to have in yours & what people have in theirs which is great & sometimes quite helpful with ideas on what to ditch or what to include. So have to say thanks for those posts.

Now on my wandering round the intermethingy, i came across a topic on some forum on another talking about get home bags. So I was wondering what you guys thought would be good things to have in yours, or if people actually have such a thing?

I've just started mine because I guess like most people when the SHTF your not actually going to be at home to grab your BOB or if you are out and have your BOB with you, you're still likely to need to get home to grab your nearest and dearest. or In fact Bug In (which is what I intend on doing until I really need to get the hell outa dodge)

SO feel free to fire ideas across or not

I for one have the following in my get home bag
Map with several routes on how to get home (I work about 70 miles from home so it's going to be a trek)
Compass
£20 in change
£20 notes
few bars of choc
some tinder
couple of lighters
torch
my neck knife
dust masks

That's about it so far

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
One thing I overlooked was I wear glasses, so I've saved my most recent pair for my BOB, so that way if I managed to break them I''d have a back up.

Gorilla glue, holds damn near anything together.
Means to protect yourself..shotgun pistil or whatever your comfy with.
Water can't stress that enough.
Stock pile of food for at least a few months.
Propane burner to cook if power is out. have additional uses as well.
Ammo, depending on defense.
Iodine for water treatment/just in case.
seed's if bugging out doors, and can stay put for awhile.
barter goods, like toilet paper, extra food, etc.

I'm still working on mine

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

Yeah agree with some of that for a BOB but what about getting home? say if there was an EMP blast that knocked out your motor, and any other form of transport & you were 70 miles away from home. What then?

+ Living in the UK guns are always an issue unless you get something illegally

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

My belief is that a GHB is much more important than a BOB.
It should include a few things, water, weaponry, tools and food.
Others like to expand on the idea but some things I feel will not be needed for 99 percent of situations.
Keeping in mind we are speaking of a GHB and not a BOB.
Now depending on how far you are traveling to and from home, will determine the importance of some items.
For instance, if I travel long distance to and fro work or a regular destination, I may include maps, compass Etc.
As I will not know every neighborhood I may be crossing.
However if work or regular activities will take me into familiar close areas, looking at these two things may actually cause some confusion by questioning what I know to be fact (i.e. this way has got me home every time).
Money of sorts could be important however, how much and what type?
Gold, silver, US dollar, peso, credit card?
Ten dollars, twenty, hundred?
What will you need to buy to get home, will ten bucks bribe you past a gang or police checkpoint?
Is it more effective to mug you and take your valuable equipment, or will it simply be stolen from your trunk while you are at work?
Many many variables.
If possible, carry a handgun, pocket knife and some cash on yourself, now you are your own GHB supplemented by the food and water in your trunk/boot of your car.
Hope it helps

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wo0kiEE
reply to post by mytheroy

Yeah agree with some of that for a BOB but what about getting home? say if there was an EMP blast that knocked out your motor, and any other form of transport & you were 70 miles away from home. What then?

+ Living in the UK guns are always an issue unless you get something illegally

My vehicle is old enough that it does not have a computer in it, still working on storing gas in secret places. saw that one Nat. geo American preppers.

If I was caught of guard then I'd find a place to hide depending on chaos, and use what's available. till I can get back home. Strongly considering communication radios, with a long range.

But when SHTF I don't think we are going to be fully prepared but that's my opinion.

edit on 8-5-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I have a get home bag as well as various bug out bags and a bug out trailer.

In my get home bag I have:
a Mil-Spec Survival Kit
2 20oz Bottled water
3 packs of crackers
1 Mountain house meal
1 MRE entree and snack
2 GMRS radios
Scaled down version of IFAK
Kbar fighting knife
H&K USP tactical with 3 mags and paddle holster
Also have 2 extra 20rd mags all loaded with 230gr JHP ammo

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
some decent walking shoes and a few pairs of socks along with some spare underwear and perhaps a roll of toilet paper as you may have to do what a bear has to do

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Like I said no weapons in UK, I have my knives but other than that... if I see someone with a gun I'll just hide LOL
but some good ideas there, cheers

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

The last time I was in the UK I was armed

Then again I was at work

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

The last time I was in the UK I was armed

Then again I was at work

Well that kinda helps, don't think I'd get away with carrying while sitting at my desk designing websites.. possible but I doubt it LOL

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

When a government takes away ones inalienable right to self defense; they create slaves out of their population.

Here in Amerika they just passed the NDAA which means the government may at its discretion, detain a person indefinitely under just a suspension of being linked to or involved in terrorism. Some of the criteria that has been law for some time is Owning firearms, Having weatherproof ammunition and more then 7 days worth of food stored. Just about anyone here meets those criteria. They will likely enforce it on those who dissent against tyranny and wish to remain a freeman rather than a slave.

Possession of a firearm provides a means to deter such detention; or die trying.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
hows about a folding bike in the boot?

A good multi tool, minor first aid kit, a lighter, water, and some emergency food bars, and blanket(s), and a poncho or temperature related covering, some toilet paper or paper towels, and a nice walking stick...
in winter I have some tear open warmer packages and candles

also a small crank charger radio/flash light

thats what I generally have in my knapsack which goes everwhere I go pretty much

the walking stick is multipurpose
...notched for an emergency blade will give you a version of the spartan javelin which was a very effective close personal weapon
and / or can be procured from the side of the road if need be.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I liken a Get Home Bag to be along the same lines as an EDC and your daily routine will certainly dictate what you carry and how you carry it.

Do you take it in the office?
Leave it in the car?
or one of each?

I work Downtown so for me its one of each (can't guarantee that I can get to my car) and what I carry into the office and keep in my desk is discreet. This bag contains a different set of tools and supplies in order to get me home from the Urban Jungle.

First and foremost, I keep and Estwing I Beam pry bar tucked into the bottom of my bag. Light and strong. Use it to pry open doors or windows or just as a "beater" bar. www.estwing.com...

Water
Dust Mask
Flashlight and Headlamp
Spring loaded Nail set to function as a glass breaking tool
Bandana
Ear Plugs
Small Map
Multi tool
LIghtly tinted sunglasses to protect from debris
A couple of Clif Bars and some GU Gel
Mylar emergency Bivy
LIghtweight and packable Wind/Rain shell
Bogota Lock pick set

As for the bag.. NO Camo!! NO OD Green! Discreet! Be the Gray Man I use and old and simple Bailey Bag
www.baileyworks.com... That you can customize.

I would prefer a backpack but it's not too practical for work.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
at 70 miles you're looking at 2-3 nights worth of travel to get home (depending on what time of the day it happens etc)

so the main thing is to perhaps spend a weekend and try and walk home and see what you need and whats available on the way home like water as theres no point carrying extra water if theres a stream every 5 miles with fresh water

also dont forget that most mobile networks in the uk are battery powered so you should be able to arrange a meet up/get someone to fetch you to reduce the time in the field but the main things will be something to boil water/dried field rations for a week and you'll be laughing compared to 99% of the idiots in the UK

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Wo0kiEE

I think I would loose about 15 of that 20 pounds in change and exchange it for water. Also I have peanut butter, just a jar of it. It has the most fat/protein to weight out there so great energy boost. I also carry an epoxy, someone else said gorilla glue but in my experience with just doing crafts epoxy is the way to go. I also have a paper list of important phone numbers, I can't trust that I will have my phone or have a charge on it. In the off chance I will need it I also have 10 feet of that really fine steel cable laid wire, this it has a 85# weight to it. Now that you got me thinking I forgot I wanted to add plastic bags (trash bag size) and zip ties to my pack. Theres my ramble~ My pack weighs about 20#s but that is mostly water.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
good thread, not many people think about the get home bag. I have one myself. My EDC bag. (every day carry) Just a simple backpack really. I have one T-shirt, underwear, socks in a waterproof bag. Two extra magazines for my pistol. A box of ammo for it. multi tool (the wave). handful of 18" zip ties. one MRE. stainless bottle for water. first aid kit. couple of bic lighters. kershaw folder (brawler). 18 feet of metal wire. small roll of twine. And a 10 hour candle. depending on the weather I sometimes pack an extra knit hat. I also believe that this is more important than your BOB. everyone should have one with this day and age.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
well least this post got people thinking which is great, I only recently heard about a get home bag, so I'm in process of building it tweaking it so thanks for some of the ideas. Basically I work in the center of London, GREAT! so when the SHTF it's going to be hell. The easiest way to get back to my gaff is to walk the rail tracks, so I wonder if there is such a thing as proper map of the rail networks so you can work out best routes? (something to look into) I mean if as many people are starting to think the SHTF scenario is EMP then 99% of vehicles including trains are going to be outa service. Annoying thing is the best route out of London is motorway but they would be crowded with people wandering around wondering why there BMW 5 series isn't going anywhere. So I want to stay off main roads. I'm defiantly thinking rail is the way. I carry a work bag which is just a messenger bag but that's got work cr*p in it so the GHB is a Black one of these. I also carry a camel pack with water in, as I generally cycle from the main station, so I could cycle back home. but with the heap I ride could take longer than walking LOL.

Can I ask what use the wire people mention would be? I think I'll add some cable ties, & some of my 550 paracord enough to put up a small bivi if needs be. the Knife I have in the pack is this one only allowed 3" folding. So any other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers for the ideas, keep them coming.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I keep thinking about the places I would be if I wasn't at home (I don't work at this time, but I do help other family members with stuff) and the places I would have to walk would be through a city. I have enough junk in my purse to keep me until I got home, except for people that would be messing with me. I can't carry a gun, and I can't see myself as being very good with my knives. Maybe I need pepper spray.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Just dont confuse a get home bag with a bug out bag, sure they can cross paths, but if you want a true get home bag alot of this stuff is not needed and should be left out. This bag needs to be light and have only items that are needed to get you home in a timely manner. Meaning, you will NOT be spending the night anywhere but walking for the most part, will not be needing to chop down trees and make a bonfire.

I work 25miles from home, I carry a bag in my car as I work in Dallas, right the edge of downtown and if anything happened I figure the roads are jacked in minutes. I will try to drive home at any cost, I have a jeep and will cross anything I can , but figure it will end up a stand still at some point. Im an IT guy so I wear dockers and polos everyday, so I have a pair of tennis shoes, socks, jeans and a t shirt, a rain jacket, space blanket, 2 bottles of water and a couple energy bars.maps, multitool and headlamp. I live in Texas so gun is a given. I will walk straight home, sure I might stop for rests when needed, but no long term stops will be taken. You dont need wire and rope and all that, sure it wont hurt to drop a hank of cord in there as its light and takes no space hardly. But you get to a point of you have to figure out what you can make do with. If your just trying to get home you do not need or want a giant 80liter backpack loaded to the max with camping crap, that is a bug out bag

For those that dont or cant carry a gun, a taser or pepper spray is about as good as your going to get and will work for most problems. Again this is just to get home, not roam the streets for weeks and deal with zombies. For this a gun is a must, heh.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Fair enough point, I suspect however unless there are some friendly people on my way home I will be camping out for at least 1 night, as it's 70 miles to my house from work. so will need something to make fire & sleep under.

But agree an GHB and a BOB are very different by definition. but there is possibly some crossover.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join