It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Robot Cars Get Green Light to Hit the Road

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
forbes.com

Department of Motor Vehicles officials said Monday they’ve issued Google the nation’s first license to test self-driving cars on public streets, after conducting demonstrations on the Las Vegas Strip and in Carson City that show the car is at least as safe as human drivers (hopefully safer), the AP reports. “It gets honked at more often because it’s being safe,” said Nevada DMV Director Bruce Breslow.

They say that in three to five it will be ready for the market.

It sounds pretty cool but computers can crash also. What are you gonna do if it freezes up like windows? Would you trust a robot car driving you around ?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Would you trust a robot car driving you around ?

Hell No!... i trust the hardware, its the software i dont trust.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

They have a cool factor I suppose. I wouldn't want one personally. I think driving is fun and am too much of a control freak to let a car drive me around lol. It might be cool for long trips if you could take a nap and wake up where you needed to go but yeah I'd worry about it locking up or 'rebooting' like you said. And if it has issues, you'd need a mechanic and an IT guy

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Will they have wifi-snooping capability and be able to phone home? Wouldn't want to see Google miss an opportunity to amass more data to hand over to the NSA....
edit on 5/7/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Don't forget to clear out your car's search history

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by scorpiosin
reply to post by maxella1

They have a cool factor I suppose. I wouldn't want one personally. I think driving is fun and am too much of a control freak to let a car drive me around...

Something like this?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Right?!
I haven't quite got that down yet but I'm working on it!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
How long before we turn into this?

edit on 8-5-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
hmmmm...could've used this more than once for doing homework on the way to school!! Our kids will have it even easier than us I see

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

My sentiments exactly, I hate letting anyone else drive. I would hope the GPS doesn't have to re-connect and re-calculate as much as the one I have now

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by JeffreyCH

My sentiments exactly, I hate letting anyone else drive. I would hope the GPS doesn't have to re-connect and re-calculate as much as the one I have now

Something like this?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

yeah exactly like that

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What do you do when someone hacks it or just imagine the police getting control of your vehicle. No thanks.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish614
What do you do when someone hacks it or just imagine the police getting control of your vehicle. No thanks.

Now you mention it, I cannot imagine that we could have self-driving cars on the road without the police having an override. Not that I object to that. The day I have a self-driving car, pull me over and shoot me now....
edit on 5/8/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

We'll get an Anonymous video telling our cars to expect them
Yeah I would worry about the police or government being able to have some remote control as well. Not that I drive like a maniac and would give reason for my car to be disabled, but say there was an emergency or something causing panic and they did a mass disabling of cars, Or there was a martial law style curfew and everyone's cars get disabled.

Even the current remote car technology makes me a bit nervous. I had a friend that asked me to take him to the car dealer to make a payment on his car one day. I was like why can't you drive yourself? They had his car remotely disabled. No thanks!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Yea the movie Minority Report comes to mind, when Tom Cruise is zipping along in the Audi and all of a sudden his car gets stopped and put onto a different set of tracks heading back to the police station. Something like that terrifies me, especially the way the government is lately. They do what they want first then MAYBE ask questions later.

top topics

join