It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Closes Last Nuclear Plant, Fears Of Summer Energy Crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Japan Closes Last Nuclear Plant, Fears Of Summer Energy Crisis

www.asianscientist.com

The 70-day closure of the Tomari nuclear plant marks the first time in four decades that Japan will go without nuclear power for supplying electricity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Pardon me if this is in the wrong place or posted already, I did search and could not see anything.

It seem Japan has shut down it's last reactor and thisone is sheduled for 70 days.

It is likely to force Japan into an energy crisis and put a burden on the already tight economy. It makes sense to do a shut down of nuclear plants given the recent meltdowns.
Will this place burdon on the electricity consumption. protestors will try to block any resart which requires local approval .

Could this be the start of a mas exodus and will other countries follow suit?

How does this then affect carbon trading schemes and taxes as fossil fule will be consumed as greater rates?

www.asianscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see where the new energy supply comes from, who is behind the scenes and who will profit from it.

I believe the answers to this may make headway for new discussion points and possibilities regarding the initial Fukushima disaster...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Idiots!!! Sometimes there are going to be incidents. Dont give it all up-just adress the issues.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
while this may appear to be a good move on the surface... I would have to disagree

In the long term it would be a good idea to move away from nuclear energy because of its potential risks... but shutting them off this quick seems impractical
A more gradual phasing out would make more sense because its not like another reactor is going to malfunction anytime soon.. statistically there have been only 2 major disasters in what, the past ~25 years??
This decision has only made japan resort to a very unsustainable solution

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Nuclear energy is a gift, I do not believe that the Japanese are doing this

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by QQXXw

While I am confident that the Japanese Government is doing this soley as a means to keep another major disaster from unfolding over the summer, gift or not, you cannot already have forgotten the crisis that is still unfolding over there from last year's earthquake/tsunami double punch.. Even in my home town of Choshi-Shi, there are reports on the street of elevated radiation readings and that's on the far east coast of Chiba Prefecture...

Gift? Maybe, but when disaster strikes, it's better to shut em down now than risk a devastated nuclear wasteland if more plants fail suddenly..

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Since you live in Japan, you, of all people, should know how much more clean nuclear energy is compared to traditional energy production. If tomorrow the radiation level doubled I would happily switch places with you as I would want to experience the health benefits of radiation myself.

edit on 8-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
reply to post by vkey08

Since you live in Japan, you, of all people, should know how much more clean nuclear energy is compared to traditional energy production. If tomorrow the radiation level doubled I would happily switch places with you as I would want to experience the health benefits of radiation myself.

One: I said it was my hometown, I no longer live there
Two: I am not disputing the cleanliness of Nuclear Power, only the fact that there is a problem that needs addressing about the safety of the plants, and if that means shutting them down in the short term to address those concerns, it's better off that they do that then have a catastrophic failure that kills millions.

I will be the first to say I am not anti-nuclear power, I in fact love it, I do not like the lack of proper safety procedures that are in place and honestly if it takes them 6 months to iron those out, great, do it, bring them back on line, avert a a disaster and all is well in the world, I would prefer to have my homeland not be an irradiated wasteland because they didn't take all steps to ensure safety just to have some clean power over the summer.

Better to be safe than sorry in this case.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Idiots!!! Sometimes there are going to be incidents. Dont give it all up-just adress the issues.

Hmm that's a good idea.
Let's just open a black hole gravity based power plant. If we # up, it'll engulf our planet in a second. But as you said... sometimes there are just going to be incidents.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
reply to post by vkey08

Health benefits? Are you nuts? Ever see chernobyl or DU iraqi victims with not to great health benefits? I'll take smog to radiation, thank you, not to mention the toxic dumpsites that will eventually deteriorate and polute the ground and air.

Nuclear is only clean for the moment,(and that's debatable, cough, fukushima), the future does not look so rosy.
edit on 9-5-2012 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Fossil fuels, primarily oil and gas is how Japan is meeting the energy shortfall. Fossil fuels kill more people than nuclear nextbigfuture.com... and certainly the economy (because they involve exporting wealth to usually corrupt nations, in exchange for a short term fix, rather than the money remaining within the country). But never mind China (which is currently building more nuke plants than the rest of the world put together) will certainly benefit from Japan's quite cowardice. Some of Japan's nuke plants were dangerous, but the other half are almost inherently safe.
Ultimately God (if there is one) created reality to suit the fittest & bravest -not the weakest & most feeble.

top topics

join