It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can your home be seized in this manner?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Not on this planet.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by snowspirit

That's not so bad, about $100 a month. Easy.

No ouch to me. Mine is about $416 a month. It's much higher than the national average and it's not the greatest house or neighborhood. Certainly not 'upscale'.

Ouch. That's a lot.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

If I put it on the market, I'd be lucky to get HALF of what they valuate it at for taxes. House prices are very low here, yet the taxes go up. The endgame is inevitable for us all.

So pay an appraiser the $500-$1500 and fight it. I know it's rude to ask, but where (general area) are you located and what's the house worth?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In my area, they got some new tax accessor who wasn't AWARE they were in armpit GA or something, and they seriously upped everyone's property tax.

We fought it, and they sent someone out and we took them and showed them everything we could find wrong with the place, and they left ours like it was - always fight that if you can - I never heard of anyone's getting raised that TRIED to fight it.

We don't really own much of anything in America. The govt thinks they own us.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Ouch. That's a lot.

I guess so. Didn't realize it was so high until this thread and a bit of digging. Still, own the place outright and am making a profit with the current tenant though I may have to raise the rent.
Not really going to raise the rent. It's fair for the area and the tenant is awesome. Nice retired guy on fixed income. I know he's got some medical expenses too and I'm not hurting so it's all good. No first and last, no deposit and he can pay me anytime between the 1st and the 30th. I trust him and he keeps the place immaculate.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Ouch. That's a lot.

I guess so. Didn't realize it was so high until this thread and a bit of digging. Still, own the place outright and am making a profit with the current tenant though I may have to raise the rent.
Not really going to raise the rent. It's fair for the area and the tenant is awesome. Nice retired guy on fixed income. I know he's got some medical expenses too and I'm not hurting so it's all good. No first and last, no deposit and he can pay me anytime between the 1st and the 30th. I trust him and he keeps the place immaculate.

That works.

I figure the 2 most important things to keep up to date, are the mortgage, and taxes. Everything else can be juggled around a bit if necessary, but if the mortgage and taxes are paid, you'll always have your shelter.

Good tenants are priceless

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

reply to post by JibbyJedi

If I put it on the market, I'd be lucky to get HALF of what they valuate it at for taxes. House prices are very low here, yet the taxes go up. The endgame is inevitable for us all.

So pay an appraiser the $500-$1500 and fight it. I know it's rude to ask, but where (general area) are you located and what's the house worth?

If I could afford an outside appraiser I would be able to pay what they demand.
I'm out of work due to injury right now, my former employer caused my injury and hasn't taken responsibility, so costs fell on me to treat it. We barely get by paying for the basics, adding another $300+ p/month isn't doable at this time.

I'm in southern NH, small village town. Average price for a 3 bedroom home here is about $60k, which is valuated around $150k. I bought mine a few yrs ago and paid in full. Sat on the market for a year and a half, price dropped $110k during that time so I scooped it up cheap. Taxes are assessed at the original list value still, 10X...sorry, bad math, 5X what I paid for it.

I'm still out of work and coming up on crunch time. I need a good lawyer's advice on my options for extensions and fighting their valuation..

edit on 7-5-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Some places asses based on a whim, others based on sales/purchase price with the ability to reduce is sales in the area go down. Shoot for the later. You lease the land from the state (really the queen if you live in the US, Canada Aust etc.) and can't own it, hence the property tax. You can take the house with you if you like, they can't tax that, they can tax - charge you rent, on the land as it is theirs and cannot be owned by you - alloidal title is impossible on a house and probably car. The state collects for the queen, and gets a cut like the mafia. It'll take a few years for them to go after the house itself if you don't pay, Since it appears that total collapse is soon via the fiat currency bubble, might want to just find something and ride it out. Mobile home, cheap land, and just drive you house away if the come.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

My man I pay 5k a year. I know some people that pay 13k a year. It is not cheap to own a home.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by fixer1967

Well I will just have to call John Rambo then haha lolz. It just seems so unfair that you need to keep paying money if you dont have job. Is there any way to buy land without having to pay property tax, and have the ability to actually own the land for real.
edit on 093131p://5America/ChicagoMon, 07 May 2012 21:16:12 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

two things in this life that we will never change or be able to escape from................... taxes, and death.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Well you can go really deep in a forest somewhere.
Build yourself a dwelling, a cabin maybe. (I would shoot for a burrow of some sort, easy to hide)
Then live your life with out being bothered.

I kind of like that idea...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I may be incorrect here but in addition to rent control doesn't New York state fix your tax amount to the date you purchase it? Meaning your taxes don't up as long as you own the home.

Also in our area (Ohio) most of our home owners taxes go to Schools, local governments, public hospitals, etc. The state doesn't kick in as much as you might think. I think the system is fair. I live in a nice house where I take care of the property and I have nice schools. Let the scum bags who don't take care of their property and have high crime, have crappy schools.

Life is what you make it and so is your neighborhood/city.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join