It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can your home be seized in this manner?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hi guys and gals, I have been racking my head over this situation for some time. In a few years I would probably want to start construction on some sort of a nest egg but there are a few things that are bothering me. With any home construction comes costs such as the sales tax etc. Then there is property tax. This one is a particular conundrum to me. If you pay off the entire cost of the home and lets say hypothetically lose your job and are unable to make the property tax payments on the house can it be potentially seized? I understand that there are some counties with exorbitantly high and then with extremely low rates and that these taxes pay for garbage, fire police etc. There are situations where a person may end up being unemployed and would probably just want to garden and grow his own food. I am scared that I really do not own my land but am basically renting it from the government.

Sources and References:

forum.earlyretirementextreme.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.city-data.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
YES, it happens all the time. Buying homes for the back taxes is big business.

Too many links to post

Google "buying homes for back taxes"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

What if you fortify and defend your home at ALL costs lol; so basically what you are saying is that if you built your own house, paid it off in full, but then lost your slave job, then your only thing that you owned would get taken from you? This is ridiculous?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yes, even if they have to burn it down around you.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Well I will just have to call John Rambo then haha lolz. It just seems so unfair that you need to keep paying money if you dont have job. Is there any way to buy land without having to pay property tax, and have the ability to actually own the land for real.
edit on 093131p://5America/ChicagoMon, 07 May 2012 21:16:12 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well that just sucks.

Make them burn it down with you in it. And take as many of them as you can with you.

Or build it somewhere no one is likely to want, or even find. I would imagine there are still places where you can build a home without anyone knowing. Or if someone finds it, it's not worth the effort to go out there.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Recent property tax reassessments in our area had some folks near triple their previous 'taxes' ... with some even having been declared to have added additional [3rd story] levels, bathrooms & bedrooms, with square footage increases in the 1,000's of ft.

... yet they have lived there for years with no such 'improvements' , alterations or changes whatsoever.

Luckily they were able to appeal and have it all rectified .... but still at a substantial increase, no matter.

One fine example:
A 14.3 acre property in quite the rural setting being reassessed to near 13K/yr in property taxes alone.

surveyed and realtor assessed at just over $160K total value, since

Why should anyone have to 'rebuy' their home every 12-15 years via 'property taxes' ?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That is also another good one, its a bait trick.You know like those car washes that promise 4 dollars a wash and then when you get in them up to the line and no way out its 25 bucks. Then what happens when you cant pay. This is absolutely wrong. I do not want my home taken from me in a god forbid situation nor would I want to have anyone be indebted with making payments on such a house.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
yes, this is the truth of it.
If you find a place that doesn't charge a property tax, please let me know....or even a place that
would keep the property tax locked for 20 years or more.
Nope, if people with money want the property bad enough, they will jack the property tax up until you can't pay it.
....nobody can ever be allowed to be debt free.....you can not "own property" in the U.S. without money....even if you grow your own food, and built your home by hand, and have a well, and use solar or wind for energy, and have a septic tank or an outhouse, they get you with the property tax....and they raise and raise that tax.
....as much as I absolutely hate that....just think if it wasn't that way...and Jay Rockefeller or Ford, Carnegie, etc. could buy and keep their land........we wouldn't have any land to buy....or if the Saudi's or China decided they wanted to buy up U.S. real estate an not pay any property tax.....an acre of land would be like $500,000 or more.
So....we are stuck with renting while we are alive...nobody can own a piece of the Earth forever.....ooooooh, for fun can somebody find a piece of land on Earth that has been owned by one family the longest? Who owns Vatican and for how long? I bet there is a Sing Song Loo in Tibet that has lived on their farm for a couple of thousand years, maybe? or the Tribe with the coke bottle in Australia?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

What if you fortify and defend your home at ALL costs lol; so basically what you are saying is that if you built your own house, paid it off in full, but then lost your slave job, then your only thing that you owned would get taken from you? This is ridiculous?

Actually, if you really wanted to, you could find a spot...like in Alaska...to build a home and hope that the authorities don't find you. There are many many many people living off the grid.....no security....but the man doesn't have time to search every inch of land looking for free people........well, I guess when the drones hit the skies in the next couple of years that might not be true.

At your age, if you build a home in a very very rural place and State....your property tax will be cheap as hell......just sell a pound or two of your farm produce a month.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Is there any way to buy land without having to pay property tax, and have the ability to actually own the land for real.

Not to my knowledge. Property taxes can climb rather high in some areas, but it's really not as bad as most people make it out to be. One of the homes I own is in a decent neighborhood with normal property taxes and I think it's about $5k a year.

I might have that wrong, might be a little more. I didn't pay it for two consecutive years and the bill was around $12k I believe. I think it takes them awhile to actually get to the point where they may seize your home but I don't know.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yes, houses are seized for unpaid back taxes all the time. We never really "own" anything, we're just responsible for it.

My husband and I bought an older home on some acreage in cash, but we picked a county with low taxes. Where we moved from, the taxes were over $5000 per year. In our new place, with much more land, the taxes are only $111 per year. Even if we worked at the local Dairy Queen in town, we could still make the taxes every year.

But rest assured, if we didn't pay, after a year or two, the sheriff would forcibly evict us, and the house and property would be sold at auction on the first Tuesday of the month at the local courthouse.

Even worse, homes in neighborhoods that have a Homeowner's Association (HOA) can be seized and sold if the owner doesn't pay the HOA their yearly dues.

There are very few things we can actually own free and clear, but real estate isn't one of them.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No one looks forward to the day their annual property tax bill arrives. But those in affluent Westchester County, a suburban swath of New York that includes areas like Rye and Armonk, most likely dread it more than most. That's because homeowners fork over a median $8,404 per year to live there. That's seven times more than the $1,180 national average, and on a dollar basis, the highest in the nation.

Oh. Well crap. It's not THAT nice of a neighborhood. $1180 is national average. Ouch.

Link
edit on 7-5-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I mean still even paying a thousand a year is a lot of money for some people, I do not like that kind of leash, makes me feel claustrophobic ya know hehe. Its kinda like saying, you better keep working at mcdonalds making money for the ceo otherwise we will seize your home.
edit on 093131p://5America/ChicagoMon, 07 May 2012 21:41:02 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

One fine example:
A 14.3 acre property in quite the rural setting being reassessed to near 13K/yr in property taxes alone.

surveyed and realtor assessed at just over $160K total value, since

Seriously?!
That's insane!

They are really working at breaking the USA!
I always previously thought that Canada was taxed higher than the US, but I'm finding out every day, that we're really comparatively well off up here, with our taxes.

Mine are only $900 a year. For a house worth about $100,000.
If I lived in town, they would be a few hundred more. Maybe up to $2000.
Something in Toronto, or Vancouver type cities, much higher, although their houses are also valued in the millions.

If a person is completely off the grid, the taxes will be way lower than if you were close to a city

Up here, with the provision of any type of unemployment help, taxes are easy to pay for. A house (personal residence) is usually something that isn't required to be sold if you end up on government assistance, or old age pension.
Even if utilities cannot be afforded, taxes need to be paid.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

$1180 is national average.

That's not so bad, about $100 a month.
Easy.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I may be posting a thread this year if they come after my house for back taxes.

We are being raped in this little town. I have less than an acre lot and a 160 yr old single family home, no garbage pick up, volunteer FD, less than 10 police, and they want me to pay $4k per year.

They valued my house the same after many $1000s of improvements, they just glance at the exterior and write down a make believe number. We have to pay it, or else. If I put it on the market, I'd be lucky to get HALF of what they valuate it at for taxes. House prices are very low here, yet the taxes go up. The endgame is inevitable for us all.

Live Free Or Die, yeah, whatevz.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Oh I know exactly... I was only paying around 1000 a year until somebody started a coalition to reassess the properties in our county since she bought a brand new really big house and found out that her taxes were higher than her neighbors with older houses. Well, now I pay twice as much a year for a 100 year old house that was frankly a piece of crap until I started putting untold hours and dollars into it. I'll never get out of it what they have assessed it at.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I dont know the laws where you are but I recently discovered that in the uk non of us realy own anything. When we register a car we are actualy handing over ownership. When we register ANYTHING we are handing over ownership. Its a deception and people need to wake up.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

That's not so bad, about $100 a month. Easy.

No ouch to me. Mine is about $416 a month. It's much higher than the national average and it's not the greatest house or neighborhood. Certainly not 'upscale'.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join