It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like or hate pitbulls?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
If the dog thinks you might be hurting its owner or you step over him it will suddenly turn from sweet to mean and bite you.

Do you understand whats happening in those situations? Thats very predictable canine behavior, it is not breed specific.

A properly bred and raised "pit bull" actually are one of the best breeds to have around kids, because of the lack of human aggression, and toughness. However, a child should never be left alone with a dog, of any breed, ever.

It is solely because of human intervention, whether through breeding or quality of life, that we have some of the unstable canines that we do. Purebred standards, and their resultant qualities, are usually the result of inbreeding. This applies across the board and is not exclusive to any one breed. Though, some specific issues arise in specific standards, such as breathing problems/heat dissipation in brachiocephalic breeds. Those are most commonly breeds like the English Bulldog and the Pug. Some breeders run against the grain, by trying to introduce standards like that of the Renascence Bulldogge, but many will apply to the kennel club standards.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
The problem doesn't lie with the dogs themselves, but the the training given. I've seen trained pitbulls that are as loving as can be. Of course, I've also seen pitbulls that were being "trained" for fights. It can be a great breed if trained correctly.

edit on 5-8-2012 by jaymp because: Edited to add trained, trained, trained, and trained.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

If the dog thinks you might be hurting its owner or you step over him it will suddenly turn from sweet to mean and bite you.

Most dogs of any breed will do this. They see you as one of their pack and will do anything to protect their owner if they feel they are in danger. It's the same psychology if you thought someone was hurting your mom, I'm sure you'd step in.

reply to post by jiggerj

But to be honest, I think the one on the bottom left might be a cross between a pitbull and bullfrog. That is one ugly thing!

LOL

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Just because people call them pit bulls does not make it true! Maybe you should change your thread tittle to bulldogs and boxers and other non pitbull breeds.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I've known several pit bulls through-out the years, and what I found was......

It is the owner who has the problem 99.9% of the time. Just like any dog, if it is treated badly/neglected,
it will go bad.
If you treat a pit bull right, love it, pet it, walk it, let it play with dogs and children and treat it like a family member, you have one of the best dogs in the world as far as I am concerned.

But those who do not treat their pit bulls right, will have a dog that can seriously hurt someone. Just like any other dog.

IMO.

I love pits!

It is the german shepards I don't like.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Pit bulls killed 22 out of 31 people killed in dog attacks in the USA last year. Rottweilers killed 4 and other breeds killed 5. You see where I'm going here?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I never did answer why I like pit bulls.

When I was learning to be a butcher, a friend of mine had one they named Tiva. She was an awesome pit bull around grown ups. Her problem was children, because every morning, kids would go by their house and throw rocks at her to rile her up, which just fed her own thoughts about short people. It was sad to watch, because her owner wasn't a very good owner. They treated her badly, and along with the kids treating her badly, it was just bad for her, which was bad for anyone who was small in stature around her. Or so I heard, I never once saw her nip at anyone.

Had she been treated right, that would of never of happened.

As to why I LOVED this dog:
Any time she would come over to the house and visit, she would immediately find where I was and then constantly lean on me and look at me like I was her lover or something.her head would lean on my shoulder and she would just kind of hang out on me. That dog and I had a bond very quickly. She never once acted out or was aggressive in my presence, and would listen to me over her owner. It was very strange. They didn't know what to think either.
they told me a few times that she was my dog. I wish she had been.

She had a good heart, but a lifetime of abuse and emotional abuse had taken it's toll. They put her down eventually, even though I wanted to take her off their hands and help her, I never got the chance.

edit on 8-5-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Personally, I think people who have pit bulls should register them as a dangerous breed, and have background checks done on the owner before owning one, and maybe some dog classes, kind of like gun safety classes, only for dangerous breeds. It is true, pit bulls have the potential to be a very dangerous dog if not properly trained and taken care of, no matter how much I love the breed, I understand the responsibility that having one entails.

I think a lot of people who own them don't.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by jiggerj

Just because people call them pit bulls does not make it true! Maybe you should change your thread tittle to bulldogs and boxers and other non pitbull breeds.

Maybe you should go to google, click on 'images' and do a search for 'pitbulls'. Then come back and tell us why 6,020,000 hits shows these non-pitbulls. That's where I got the images, and they perfectly match the non-pitbulls in my city.
edit on 5/8/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tholidor

You are correct. Companion animals are about one spiritual rung away from humans. Dogs are probably the closest to spiritual advancement.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Not just a DOG, a PIT BULL!!

www.thebostonchannel.com...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe you should go to google, click on 'images' and do a search for 'pitbulls'. Then come back and tell us why 6,020,000 hits shows these non-pitbulls. That's where I got the images, and they perfectly match the non-pitbulls in my city.
edit on 5/8/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

And that is exactly the problem. Pit bulls get unfairly accused of things because people don't know what a pit bull really is! The majority of attack attributed to pit bulls were attacks by other breeds that people like you labeled as a pit bull giving them a bad rap. All I ask is that you follow the motto of this site and deny ignorance.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tholidor

My wifes' theory, based on observation of many friends and many dogs, is that canines can somehow detect (smell?) DNA and therefore relationships between people and their offspring. Personally I feel that there may very well be something beyond mere "training" to the seemingly paranormal bond between a dog and its owner. There is little doubt that a dog will adopt the attitude and demeanor of its owner/handler as well as sense emotional changes in its adopted human.

editby]edit on 8-5-2012 by Tholidor because: (no reason given)

There is something in this,if you look at how wolves(and many other species who live in social groups) will ostracise and actively chase away certain pack members who are sick or diseased in order to maintain the integrity of the pack.This surely works in the acceptance of say newborn cubs into the pack,they must be able to detect common Genealogy as well as corruption within a pack members DNA.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
Pit bulls killed 22 out of 31 people killed in dog attacks in the USA last year. Rottweilers killed 4 and other breeds killed 5. You see where I'm going here?

Let's not have selective reading here. I would love to hear the comments of the Pit Bull lovers as to why statistics like this exist if Pit Bulls are such good pets.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Here's a video from today showing a woman attacked by two pitbulls unprovoked.

www.liveleak.com...

There's only about 20,000 others like it on the internet.
edit on 9-5-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Nothing to do with "selective reading" .As you say, look at the facts,well the facts are that pit bulls are very loving pets in the right hands,they are also highly intelligent and require mental stimulation and physical exercise,if they are not treated or handled properly,problems will arise(as they would with any other breed).it's all down to the owner.
And please less of the efforts to demonise this particular breed by quoting pitbull attack stats,what percentage of dog attacks were carried out by pitbulls? And what percentage of these attacks were carried out by dogs whose owners are not capable of providing them with the stable and nurturing environment which they deserve?.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Let's not have selective reading here. I would love to hear the comments of the Pit Bull lovers as to why statistics like this exist if Pit Bulls are such good pets.

Read my post most so called pit bull attacks are not made by actual pit bulls but dogs that are mistaken as pit bulls due to ignorance. (Whats the site motto again?) In the video you posted either those dogs were 6 month old pit puppies or they weren't pit bulls.

In my town there was a so called "pit bull attack". It was all over the news, spurring all kinds of debates, all because the police officer at the scene labeled it a Pit Bull. Turns out the dog was actually a lab mixed with something else. That pissed a lot of people off, since many of the people commenting on our local papers websites were making comments like "If you want a family dog, get a Lab not a Pit Bull"

You know, I don't, nor have I ever owned a Pit Bull. I am just fully aware of how often other breeds are mistaken for Pit Bulls and know that most Pit Bull hate stems from other breeds mistaken as Pit Bulls. My best friend on the other hand does own Pit Bulls, and she is one of the responsible owners.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
They're one of "gods creatures", so, I love em. Like many dogs or other animals, they can be TRAINED to be kind or mean. For some reason, almost every dog or cat seems to love me. I had a friend with a pit back in my trouble maker days. My friend wanted a mean pit, so he treated it bad. I lived with him for a little while. The first day I woke up in my bed I had made on the floor out of couch cushions with the dogs face right over mine. My friend had opened the door to his bedroom to let the dog out, forgetting that I was laying there. He was supposed to attack anyone he didn't know. He looked more happy to see me than anything. I think he could sense the "animal lover" vibe of kindness from me. Everytime we sat in the living room, the dog would always come right up to me and sit next to me, like I was his owner. And I would pet him, and he loved it. I could tell my friend didn't like it. I didnt care. It would take a lot to keep me from showing love and compassion for another living being. Although I did hold back some because I feared for the dogs safety when I wasnt around.
People can train dogs to b mean. But they arent born that way.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
FACTS...Not hearsay taken from a biased pit bull hating irresponsible web site such as dogsbite.

notesfromthefunnyfarm.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So many ask - why do we never hear of other dogs attacking. Here is one big reason why.

A 2008 report on media bias by the National Canine Research Council (available on their website at nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com...) compared the type of media coverage given for dog attacks that occurred during a four–day period in August 2007 with intriguing results:

On day one, a Labrador mix attacked an elderly man, sending him to the hospital. News stories of his attack appeared in one article in the local paper.

On day two, a mixed–breed dog fatally injured a child. The local paper ran two stories.

On day three, a mixed–breed dog attacked a child, sending him to the hospital. One article ran in the local paper.

On day four, two pit bulls that broke off their chains attacked a woman trying to protect her small dog. She was hospitalized. Her dog was uninjured. This attack was reported in more than 230 articles in national and international newspapers and on the major cable news networks.
It is not a stretch to see how such news coverage could influence calls for breed bans from the frightened public and its legislators.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join