It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like or hate pitbulls?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

BAM, My vote for post of the day!!!

I agree wholly. You want a family dog, you buy the correct breed. You try and make a family dog out of the wrong breed and you increase the possibility of Murphy's law. A pitbull is a breed that has natural aggressive instincts, mainly towards animals but small humans, in the heat of the moment, are just as easy a target.

Once natural instinct kicks in, the dog will do what comes naturally. The comparable difference between a Labrador's natural instincts and a Pitbull's natural instincts renders this argument null and void.

They shouldn't be banned but most certainly monitored and licensed. If the government cannot afford to do this then a ban seems the next best option.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Pitbulls are amongst the most loyal,protective and loving breeds that there are,it's certain owners who do not deserve to have such wonderful creatures,hate pit bulls? not a chance! it's the irresponsible owners that I cannot stand.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

your wrong the pit bull breed was not breed for attacking/killing. they where working dogs for farms in the early 1900 very loyal and loving dogs. in the 80,s drug dealers started to use them to guard crack houses. thats when they started to get a bad wrap. Dont forget that the pit bull has been in the white house 2 times President Theodore Roosevelt, President Woodrow Wilson. most decorated dog in ww1 and 2 . americas used there images for civil war though world war 2. i have 2 and both are very smart if your not smart engouf both my girls will out smart you. so you need to know how to raise dogs. just like if your white trash your kids will be bad too.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
www.facebook.com...#!/photo.php?fbid=193006534071933&set=a.193004744072112.43589.19 3004497405470&type=3&theater
i love my pits they catch anything i tell them to and will sleep with a little kitten if i want them to

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
most all of the post about the PBT or APBT are in fact wrong.
maybe this site will help everybody.

The RPB Breed Information Center

pay close attention to the menu on left.

especially the history, myths and the dose of reality sections.

there is no such thing as bad dogs, just bad owners and trainers. animals weather wild or domesticated,
respond to their environment. or perception of danger. dogs don't get their jollies by running around biting people or other animals unless they are taught that.
edit on 8-5-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have known many Pitbulls. I have owned one myself. In all the years of my life I never met a Pit that was vicious. I have met far more vicious poodles than Pits or Rots, or Dobies. Any dog can be made to be vicious. It all depends on how you treat it. No dog species that I have ever heard of is born mean. PEOPLE make them mean.
The Pits that I have known have always been energetic and extremely loving. My best friend has 3 of them and 2 very small children and he has no concern about the dogs harming his kids. People see the animal on the idiot box and make blanket assumptions based on little or no information.
If you want to ban something ban these asshole owners that think having a mean dog makes them somehow seem tougher. Don't ban the breed.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I would say I don't like them, my reason being is that when I was about 12 I was trying to play with my friends pit bull when he jumped onto me and bit at my face. The dog cut a whole in my right cheek and I had a pretty bad scar there for some years.
Now I know they aren't family dogs, and should not be kept around children. In fact over 4 children have been killed by pitbulls in Australia over the past year. There are even talks about banning them here.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Pit Bulls are great dogs to have as pets. They are the most loyal breed I have ever had the pleasure to care for. Like any dog, if mistreated they can turn mean, but when well cared for they are the sweetest and most loving dogs around. I used to have a big Pit Bull named Jaws. He was competely harmless to the point that our pet hamster would chase him around the house. The puppies are very cute. There are several of these dogs in my neighborhood that roam freely since we are a very dog friendly community and I have no fear of these dogs. They come into my yard and play with my boys and go home at dinner time. Great breed, its the stupid humans that keep screwing things up by mistreating them. They are pets, companions and friends not weopons!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
PIt bulls have the highest levels of testosterone out of all dog breeds.
Testosterone causes aggressiveness.
Pit bulls were inbred for generations, for fighting because inbreeding makes an aggressive dog.
Pit bulls can turn on a dime, no matter how they are raised, trained or their blood line, due to the extensive inbreeding and high testosterone levels, fact.
Case in point, my aunts Pitt attacked and killed her other dog that the Pitt was raised with as a puppy.
No reason, the pitt attacked and killed the other dog in front of my aunt as she was on the phone with my mom.
Again, high testosterone causes aggression.
Food for thought, Bull sharks are the most aggressive shark species... they also have the highest testosterone levels of all sharks.

ETA: I personally like pitt bulls, I don't like how just about everyone has one, just like rotts.
Me personally, I'd prefer a Pressa Canario

edit on 8-5-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Honestly it depends on you....there are certain breeds of dogs that have been proven to be a wee bit bi polar if you will.

Dobermans, Rotties, and pitbulls unfortunatly fall into this line on a genetic premise anyway, and are not recommended for being around small kids.

The thing isnt whether or not lil rover is good with baby timmy, it's when the animal takes over from the training and lil rover makes a meal out of baby timmy.

I can't stand pitbulls, and if attacked or under percieved aggression, I will kill them without hesitation. they have the rep they have for a reason. Because they are known for flippin out as most other large dogs have the potential to. Yet Pits seem to carry it out more often.

On a side note, dogs are good eatting if your cupboards are dry...they taste like pork.

A dog is a dog and should be treated as a animal, not yer little snookie wookie dumpling buns. Dogs are not your equal, I wish some pet owners would figure that out.

If you have to have a big dog, get a german shepard, great with kids and even keeled. The most loyal breed of dog I have ever had, and I have had many.
edit on 8-5-2012 by GrandHeretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
I have known many Pitbulls. I have owned one myself. In all the years of my life I never met a Pit that was vicious. I have met far more vicious poodles than Pits or Rots, or Dobies. Any dog can be made to be vicious. It all depends on how you treat it. No dog species that I have ever heard of is born mean. PEOPLE make them mean.
The Pits that I have known have always been energetic and extremely loving. My best friend has 3 of them and 2 very small children and he has no concern about the dogs harming his kids. People see the animal on the idiot box and make blanket assumptions based on little or no information.
If you want to ban something ban these asshole owners that think having a mean dog makes them somehow seem tougher. Don't ban the breed.

I disagree. Sure they are great if you are the owner. One of my friends owns one was raised in the nicest household ever. If the dog thinks you might be hurting its owner or you step over him it will suddenly turn from sweet to mean and bite you. I would never bring my kid near one. They have the tendency to snap and it's genetic not how they were raised. I love dogs even pits but I'm not gonna be blind to what I have seen. Again it's great if YOU are the owner. Everyone else should watch out.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
most all of the post about the PBT or APBT are in fact wrong.
maybe this site will help everybody.

The RPB Breed Information Center

pay close attention to the menu on left.

especially the history, myths and the dose of reality sections.

there is no such thing as bad dogs, just bad owners and trainers. animals weather wild or domesticated,
respond to their environment. or perception of danger. dogs don't get their jollies by running around biting people or other animals unless they are taught that.

Much like a jaguar or anything else, the problem is if it snaps mayhem will happen...my neighbour has a 170 pound pittie...that barks furiously at boulders that it carries around.

This dog is a rock of pure muscle and if it ever snaps on someone they are likely dead.

He tells me it is good around kids and it has been so far, but i will NEVER allow it to be alone with the children, way too much chance of something going wrong.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The title of this thread should've been;
I hate Pitbulls
and then left the post blank, no?

That's what it looks like to me. I love Beagles also, yes they're cute.
Did you know they stem from the English Foxhound?
Do you know what they do to fluffy cute wabbits?

I love my pitbull and he loves me. He's part of the family.

Yes, they're active dogs.
Yes, they're tuff dogs.
Will my dog tear your little rat if he catches a glimpse of it? Yes.
That is the nature of this dog.
They don't like other dogs for some reason and I'm speaking about mine, not all.
Because not all of them are the same. Like Humans.

But then again, both my nephews who are aged 7 and 3 play with the dog all the time.
Pull his ears (poor thing) the lot.
Who's worse the dog or the owner? It's always the owner.

What these dogs require the most is a lot of attention.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Any and all assumptions made about a breed of dog based solely on their supposed "breeding" or "genetics" are invalid. Those who espouse these points of view are undoubtedly the same misguided individuals who "know" that all Irish are drunks, all blacks are ignorant druggies and that all hispanics lazy. Stereotypes are just wrong whether you are discussing dogs or people.

Keep in mind that all dogs are, at their core, wolves. As such they are pack oriented animals. They live and breathe for the protection and betterment of the pack - and are by nature aggressive towards anyone or anything that lies outside the pack or is perceived to be a threat to it. Our Amstaff/Lab mix is no exception.

I will admit to some trepedation the first time that our son and daughter-in-law brought their new baby girl for a visit. The dog knew our son, but had never met his wife or the new baby as they live at some distance from us. It took exactly one sniff of that magnificent nose for our dog to recognize that his "pack" had grown in size and he gave the baby an affectionate lick and curled up on the couch by our daughter-in-law with his head in her lap.

My wifes' theory, based on observation of many friends and many dogs, is that canines can somehow detect (smell?) DNA and therefore relationships between people and their offspring. Personally I feel that there may very well be something beyond mere "training" to the seemingly paranormal bond between a dog and its owner. There is little doubt that a dog will adopt the attitude and demeanor of its owner/handler as well as sense emotional changes in its adopted human.

Whatever the breed, dogs have proven themselves to be both friend and helpmate to man. Just love them, respect them and try to understand them. They will, almost without exception, return the favors tenfold.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Tholidor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JeffreyCH

When I was doing a lot of research into this, there werent some of the resources available now! I was able to find a couple of the books I read, but honestly, I think things like Google Scholar present even better resources.

First, here are two books. I was able to find one free, mostly, and one available on Amazon. I found these two books pretty fascinating, though the second linked book tends to be more engaging.

Here are some links to Google Scholar. I havent actually used it, but it seems to be an incredible resource. I found that first book "mostly free" on there, and there seems to be a significant amount of information.

Originally posted by Tholidor
Any and all assumptions made about a breed of dog based solely on their supposed "breeding" or "genetics" are invalid.

I am not so sure, genetics play a huge role in all of our lives. We make our decisions in our lives, but the foundation for it all is based on genetics. Going to either extreme doesnt seem to be a good way to approach it. Genetics play a strong role in the different breeds, and that role shouldnt be discarded. This can be seen most clearly in specific colorations of breeds. Each individual dog out there is different, so in that respect, I agree. But a Border Collie, on a very strong average, will be an energetic breed. "Thats what they were bred for." This is specifically because of selective breeding, and essentially, eugenics.

A strong issue arises in the specific situation of breed demonization. As I said, this directly attracts the type of people that will use this type of biology to single out unhealthy traits, such as aggression. Generally, aggression in this sense can directly correlate to "unstable." This is not referring to territorial or protective dogs, those behaviors are based strongly in the original phenotype (Canis Lupus). It is when the breeder tries to get "mean" dogs, and similar goals. This is either a learned behavior, or based in genetic instability. Either way, it means the dogs that are being bred are, at best, being bred for a trait that is not going to be passed on. At worst, they are passing on the genetic instabilities that are direct results of our medling. Many also do not understand exactly what they are doing, and have no long-term goal in mind for their bloodlines. But if there is a standard at all to their dogs, they are still practicing selective genetics. Its a huge responsibility to be a good breeder, they are responsible for the genetic integrity of other beings. And it is certainly too late in that game to reverse the effects we have had on the Canid.
edit on 8-5-2012 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

There are no pit bulls pictured above.

Can you identify a pitbul? I dare you to give it a go, bet you can't.

These dogs are what are commonly called pitbulls around here. But to be honest, I think the one on the bottom left might be a cross between a pitbull and bullfrog. That is one ugly thing!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909
Of course you can call them cute. Pitbulls are amazing creatures and often adorable. Your choice of pictures was unbelievably biased.

LOL Those pictures are EXACTLY what I don't want to see while passing a dog on the street.

One early morning I was walking to work when a woman let her chihuahua (or a rat - can never tell the difference) out to roam free. The dog saw me, growled, I turned, growled back and chased it. lol The dog ran back to its house.

I would NOT do that with a pitbull. Or a doberman, rottweiler, or a G. Shepherd.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
the only people who like pitbulls are people who have them.
i dont like them, theyre butt ugly, have a bad reptutaion. why would someone want a dog that has an image like that?
i dont think its wrong to form an opinion of someone just based on their dog.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Those pitts are all juiced up too, the two on the bottom, anyways. It would be extremely hard and time consuming to naturaly get dogs that muscular and vascular, in fact almost impossible. Almost. But, That's common practice amongst many pitt owners/breeders. Juice them up so they look good, have bigger, stronger offspring = more money for the puppies because they are more "attractive" . Juicing them up also makes them more aggressive, fantastic for the buttholes that like to fight them

edit on 8-5-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
The title of this thread should've been;
I hate Pitbulls
and then left the post blank, no?

No. I don't hate them. I'm AFRAID of them. Too much bad press.

If I had to say that I hate any creatures, they would be alligators and crocks. But, I can't say hate, because what I am is ignorant when it comes to them (and I'm too lazy to do the research). What I see is creatures that live in the water, attack other animals and spill the blood all through the water, and that can't be a good thing. I don't know for sure, but I don't think nature would miss them if they went extinct.

They must poop a lot in the water, too. Ick!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join