It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like or hate pitbulls?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by freakjive
I love pitbulls for the exact same reason that I love all dogs. They carry the kind of love that no human does. They're loyal and protective and want to do right by you.

What I don't love is the bad rap that pitbulls get for their owners and breeders piss-poor mistakes!

Can you please define "cute" for me, as I think you and I have a different understanding of the word.

edit on 5/7/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

Jeeez, ya can't use the puppy card.

But its ok for you to post aggressive looking pics of pits to make your point? Do you not understand the hypocrisy?

That's fair. You posted the best image and I posted the worst. So, let me pet those little darli
RUFFRUFFBITEBITECHOMPCHOMP

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! lol

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Our Pit Bull savaged our son to within an inch of his life, so we had him put down. We'll miss him of course, but at least we've got two other sons..

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't "like" or "hate" the breed. I just like to look at reality. Dog breeds are not a natural phenomenon. They are basically genetically altered wolves. Altered by humans over millenia. They were bred for specific reasons. Dog breeds created as "companion" or "family pet" animals is a very recent development.
Pit Bulls, as their name suggests, were specifically bred for aggression and to maximize tissue damage in the act of pit fighting, for gambling purposes.

Several quantifiable reports and studies have been done, despite protests to the contrary. Pit Bulls have a severely disproportionate amount of responsibility for dog attacks that result in permanent damage or death. Actuarial liability experts unanimously agree on the major liability that comes with the breed. These people don't get involved with "profiling". They deal in pure numbers and facts to best cover their employer or clients' legal behind.

Would the defenders of pit bulls claim that pointers are not genetically predisposed to be good hunting dogs or that border collies are not predisposed to be good herding dogs? If they concede that, then it is hard to deny that pit bulls are genetically predisposed to be good fighting dogs.

One also has to understand the nature of the dog. It makes us fuzzy inside to think that our dogs are just nice and loyal. Truth is they are pack animals displaying pack behavior. The very large majority of dog breeds are bred to be submissive to their human overlords. I do love my lab, but I also understand her behavior is indicative of an animal bred to be submissive to me. Pit Bulls were "reverse engineered", so to speak, in their breeding process to have the proper amount of aggression for the gambling pits. Bulldogs were originally used but didn't always fight and didnt provide enough bloodshed for the spectators. Hence the breeding of a more aggressive and destructive animal.

And it is always, ALWAYS, the family dog "who would never bite or attack anyone and never displayed that kind of behavior before." Hear it all the time.

A secondary issue is, in general, the people who are attracted to the breed. Thugs, hooligans, and irresponsible buffoons of all races, ethnicities, and sexes love to own pit bulls.

Even if the breed is no more likely to attack than another breed, which I doubt, they absolutely create major damage and they are well known to be very willful. While chihauhas are aggressive little $h1+s, you can kick it, problem solved. If a dalmation bites you, you go to the hospital and get a bandage. If a pit bull attacks, you are much more likely to see permanent maiming and scarring or worse.

Bottom line: Pit Bull ownership should require training and licensing as you are dealing with a dangerous, "special needs" animal.

Also, owners should be criminally liable for anything their dog does, regardless of breed.

edit on 7-5-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: sp

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Pics of a full grown pit bull are honest as this is what the thread is about, pics of nice soft furry puppies does nothing to the OP's post but mock it.

If I wanted I could post a picture of a grizzly bear cub and everyone here would go ahhhhhhh so sweet.
Now go hiking in BC the next year and meet that little fuzz ball of a Grizzly on a trail and that will be your last vision in life.
Regards, Iwinder

Awww, let's not turn this into a dogfight. All opinions and pics welcome here. So, down boy, DOWN!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
Our Pit Bull savaged our son to within an inch of his life, so we had him put down. We'll miss him of course, but at least we've got two other sons..

Nicely done...

Others I'm afraid won't see the humor and might take offense. Bah - It was funny!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH LOLOLOLOL!

Too funny!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by Iwinder
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Pics of a full grown pit bull are honest as this is what the thread is about, pics of nice soft furry puppies does nothing to the OP's post but mock it.

If I wanted I could post a picture of a grizzly bear cub and everyone here would go ahhhhhhh so sweet.
Now go hiking in BC the next year and meet that little fuzz ball of a Grizzly on a trail and that will be your last vision in life.
Regards, Iwinder

My point was your post had pictures of fuzzy little fur balls and yes that will get eveyones heart going, the OP posted pictures of very aggressive looking adult pit bulls.
Fair enough that I get your point, and you certainly made me think here.
However I stand by my first post that they are bred to kill/fight/ ect.....
As other posters have said here, I have never ever seen a Pit Bull with an owner whom is older than 25 years old and just by looking you can tell they don't have a pot to piss in money wise.
What that means is after their strut around the neigbourhood they go back to their cheap rental and toss the dog out back our in a small room.

There is no show of love nor control or a desire to do so.
Ontario was experiencing so many vicious attacks and kills by pit bulls they banned them and rightly so.

The statistics speak volumes.
Regards, Iwinder

so, propaganda is only accepted when it fits your argument? Choosing to post pics of aggressive, angry looking dogs is no different than posting pics of puppies. Neither represent the population of said dog.

I can post pics of very aggressive looking bunnies. Does that mean we should be scared of them?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I had a dog years ago that was half pit bull and half-poodle. Not much of a guard dog, but he was a vicious gossip.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
Posted this before, and will continue to do so every time someone brings up pitbulls being nothing but ferocious mean looking animals. He's so ferocious he snuggles with Pixie the chihuahua...scary huh?

Hmmm, mixed message here. They ARE ferocious looking, but that doesn't imply they are. I just don't see them as pretty.

What I did notice was that a few years back (ten to fifteen years ago) there was a string of pitbull attacks reported on the news, and then PITBULL BOOM, everybody started getting them.

So, what made you decide on getting a pitbull instead of, say, an Irish Setter?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I love pit bulls, but I hate their owners. Pits are some of the most loyal and loving and playful dogs I have ever known. It is the aholes that have to own a MACHO animal that are the reason pit bulls have a bad rep. We used to live at the very edge of town and around us was desert. I used to sleep on the driveway in a sleeping bag at night. When I would wake up in the morning, I would see packs of coyotes and wild dogs come in out of the desert to drink out of our irrigation system. One morning I woke up to see a pit bull and a great dane standing over me and drooling on my sleeping bag. When I sat up, the great dane ran away, but the pit stayed and smiled at me and wagged his tail. Once I started petting him and calling him a good doggie, he would not let me stop. But eventually I had to stop to go in and use the bathroom and when I returned he was gone. I sure hope he found a good home to go to. I was eventually adopted by another wild dog that the neighbor kids used to call "coyote dog". She was a mix partly chow and maybe some coyote, but a really nice dog. Sixteen years later she is still around and loyal and true.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Another pit bull story. My cousin knew this guy in construction and he had a trailer and we needed some yard waste removed and contracted with him to do it. When he came over he had a young pit with him about a year old. We have two yard gnomes guarding a pile of rocks in the front yard and the pit bull kept growling at them and would not stop the whole time they were here. Before leaving he gave them a hearty bark and a dirty look. I used to tell my cousin that the pit knew something about the gnomes that we did not.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I had a dog years ago that was half pit bull and half-poodle. Not much of a guard dog, but he was a vicious gossip.

Stop making me laugh outloud! People are starting to look at me funny. LOLOLOLOL

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
I don't "like" or "hate" the breed. I just like to look at reality. Dog breeds are not a natural phenomenon. They are basically genetically altered wolves. Altered by humans over millenia. They were bred for specific reasons. Dog breeds created as "companion" or "family pet" animals is a very recent development.
Pit Bulls, as their name suggests, were specifically bred for aggression and to maximize tissue damage in the act of pit fighting, for gambling purposes.

Several quantifiable reports and studies have been done, despite protests to the contrary. Pit Bulls have a severely disproportionate amount of responsibility for dog attacks that result in permanent damage or death. Actuarial liability experts unanimously agree on the major liability that comes with the breed. These people don't get involved with "profiling". They deal in pure numbers and facts to best cover their employer or clients' legal behind.

Would the defenders of pit bulls claim that pointers are not genetically predisposed to be good hunting dogs or that border collies are not predisposed to be good herding dogs? If they concede that, then it is hard to deny that pit bulls are genetically predisposed to be good fighting dogs.

One also has to understand the nature of the dog. It makes us fuzzy inside to think that our dogs are just nice and loyal. Truth is they are pack animals displaying pack behavior. The very large majority of dog breeds are bred to be submissive to their human overlords. I do love my lab, but I also understand her behavior is indicative of an animal bred to be submissive to me. Pit Bulls were "reverse engineered", so to speak, in their breeding process to have the proper amount of aggression for the gambling pits. Bulldogs were originally used but didn't always fight and didnt provide enough bloodshed for the spectators. Hence the breeding of a more aggressive and destructive animal.

And it is always, ALWAYS, the family dog "who would never bite or attack anyone and never displayed that kind of behavior before." Hear it all the time.

A secondary issue is, in general, the people who are attracted to the breed. Thugs, hooligans, and irresponsible buffoons of all races, ethnicities, and sexes love to own pit bulls.

Even if the breed is no more likely to attack than another breed, which I doubt, they absolutely create major damage and they are well known to be very willful. While chihauhas are aggressive little $h1+s, you can kick it, problem solved. If a dalmation bites you, you go to the hospital and get a bandage. If a pit bull attacks, you are much more likely to see permanent maiming and scarring or worse.

Bottom line: Pit Bull ownership should require training and licensing as you are dealing with a dangerous, "special needs" animal.

Also, owners should be criminally liable for anything their dog does, regardless of breed.

edit on 7-5-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: sp

You said it all here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
A man takes his Pit Bull to the vet.
"Can you have a look at him," he says, "I think he's cross-eyed".
So the vet picks up the dog and examines him.
"I'm going to have to put him down," says the vet.
"Why, just because he's cross eyed?"
"No," says the vet, "because he's heavy!"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Preferences in dogs is like your preference in partners. Some like them big and some like them small. I have an old old black pug. To me my pug is the most adorable dog anyone could own. To other people he is the most ugly little monster LOL!!!

Pit bulls are very friendly sweet dogs if raised properly with the right owner. I have meant pit bulls that are fun and full of life, I have also meant pit bulls that I would have felt better if I had a baseball bat in my hand.

Point is that everybody sees dogs in a different way including if they are cute or not. Personally, I think cockerspanials are way to furry and clumsy. But I dont dislike them its just not the type of dog for me.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jenlovesturtles
Preferences in dogs is like your preference in partners.

Funny you should mention partners, me and the wife took out Pit bull for a walk today when he started barking and going mad at a bunch of kids drinking in the park. "You kids are a disgrace drinking at that age and messing up the area!" She shouted at them as I held the dog back. "Man, that thing is dangerous, you need to put a muzzel on it," one of them shouted back. "You're right!" I replied, "I'm not even sure why I married her to be honest!"

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

LOL!!!! Sooo mean!!!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I like all dogs,but i would not have a pit bull around my family,One reason is a girl had a pit bull she raised since he was a pup, then he got big loveable and sweet as can be until one day he decided to take a bite out of her face,she put him down.All i am saying is i think pit bulls are dangerous no matter how much love you give them,I think it is just in their nature to attack,Most dog attacks are from pit bulls

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It seems that Pitbulls are the dog of choice for unemployed chav drug dealers
Pitbulls were bred for one intention only and that is ripping and tearing flesh
But in the right hands would be a good dog if trained properly
I think all dogs still have a wild gene in them that can make them attack

So beware

Cran

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Such pretty little baby blues!!! I have a pitty who would have otherwise been put to sleep or have a leg amputated because her front paw didn't develop the way it should. I held off, waiting to see how she would make it. She's six months old now, and her name is Dancer. She pets the cat with this paw, shakes hands, slaps the poodle, and dances around like a silly little thing when she's happy, and that's all the time. Pitties were considered Nanny Dogs long before their bad reputation and all the breeding for savagery took place. I watch her, yes, because first off, I'm a protective mother of my son. But, I feel for any idiot who thinks they can come into my house without my permission. She may be a big loving girl, but yes, she is also protection. She would give her life for me or my son. I don't doubt that for one moment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join