It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like or hate pitbulls?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Walking home from work today I passed by five people with pitbulls. No cuddly cockerspaniels. No well-behaved beagles. No setters, no collies. Just pitbulls.

Are they prevalent in just my area?
Is this a sign of the times where everyone feels a need to have a ferocious looking animal?

One thing's for sure, you can't call em' cute.

P.S. I believe this to be a social issue. So, if the moderators try to move it they'll first have to get past my leetle friends above. RUFF!
edit on 5/7/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Some people have them for protection. Some have them to look cool.
I personally like all dogs, but would use a pit as a guard dog.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I love pitbulls for the exact same reason that I love all dogs. They carry the kind of love that no human does. They're loyal and protective and want to do right by you.

What I don't love is the bad rap that pitbulls get for their owners and breeders piss-poor mistakes!

Can you please define "cute" for me, as I think you and I have a different understanding of the word?

edit on 5/7/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I love my pit bull because she is one of the friendliest, motherly animals I have ever been around. I also tend to believe that there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners. Whom have over the decades produced these animals to be angry, and overall agressive by the nature of their training. My dog is a 75 pound black lab, american pitbull cross. She has never been aggressive, her best friends are a overweight (27#) pug and an over energetic boston terrier.

She walks off a leash, obeys verbal as well as hand commands. I love her cause she's my dog, and would never hurt me, or anyone around me without just cause. I love her cause she was brought up right and if not for her breed is just any other dog, faithful, loving, and overall one of the best dogs ever!!!!

I do hate that when we walk though, I come across several aggressive pit bulls. Whom she would like to be friends with but it's just impossible. Yet then again there always walked bye a guy with a purse, wearing Ed Hardy, with a coat on that looks like my daughter bedazzled. Whos' got a GF wearing juicy across her ass.

In closing trying to say there are several deuche bags who use them as protection and a status symbol of there hard as **** lifestyle, but overall I think the dogs themselves are fine as long as not owned by above mentioned deuche bags and drug dealers.....

SaneThinking

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Pit bulls are not bad dogs. The ones you read about usually have bad owners. There are a few bad apple pits but that is true of absolutely every breed (every rule has an exception yadda yadda) You would actually be shocked to see the cuddly looking dachshund was the top ranking bitter in 2008. I know from experience cocker spaniels will bite quicker than a pit bull. Don't judge a book by the cover. Little dogs can make nasty bites too, and tend to do so more often.
I'm not even a huge fan of pits myself (more of a herding breed person myself) I just feel pits are unfairly judged. I've met many pit that are excellent dogs through and through and only a very small handful of pits that were people aggressive. The handful that were aggressive were made that way. If those same owners had a breed with a low bite statistic the same thing would happen. People like that shouldn't have anything in their care period.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
I love pitbulls for the exact same reason that I love all dogs. They carry the kind of love that no human does. They're loyal and protective and want to do right by you.

What I don't love is the bad rap that pitbulls get for their owners and breeders piss-poor mistakes!

Can you please define "cute" for me, as I think you and I have a different understanding of the word.

Jeeez, ya can't use the puppy card.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Pitbull's might be banned in Ontario soon, if they aren't already.
There's people infuriated by this, just as some think it's the right thing to do.

It's not a simple subject. The common response from those against the ban, is that Pit's aren't predisposed to violence, and that it's the owners who raise them to be that way that are to blame. I agree with this, but unfortunately it's a bit more complicated of an issue than just the dogs temperament.

The problem that makes this topic debatable is the Pitbull's innate instinct to lock and shake when they DO bite. You could have a friendly Golden Retriever for 15 years who one day snaps and bites your daughter for no reason other than it's senility. Same goes for a friendly Pitbull, except it may just end up tearing one of your daughters biceps clear off the bone.

That's the real concern. Even the biggest sweetheart of a Pitbull is dangerous once it gets up there in age. That said, I think muzzles are a better answer than trying to ban a breed.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Jack Squat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Walking home from work today I passed by five people with pitbulls. No cuddly cockerspaniels. No well-behaved beagles. No setters, no collies. Just pitbulls.

Are they prevalent in just my area?
Is this a sign of the times where everyone feels a need to have a ferocious looking animal?

One thing's for sure, you can't call em' cute.

P.S. I believe this to be a social issue. So, if the moderators try to move it they'll first have to get past my leetle friends above. RUFF!
edit on 5/7/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

I don't hate pit bulls. I hate most of the people that own them. Pit bulls are like guns- it's the idiots that own them that give everyone else who does a bad name.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I live with a Pitbull. He is a big mush. I found him as a puppy tied to a gate at work like 5 years ago. I untied him and he has been with me ever since. I love small dogs, but "Black" has grown on me as if he was a lil brother or something. I never need to hit him or anything like that. I love how they don't talk but they sure understand. I live in a rough area and many people fight their dogs. I never saw the need to make him act tough. His best friend was a cat named Debo. (Rip)

I dont think Pitbulls make good guard dogs though. They were bred to be aggressive towards other animals but not towards humans, any aggression towards humans and they would be put down. German Shepherds, rottweilers, and dobermans were bred more for security. They might be a little bit more aggressive towards humans because of their genetics.

As friendly as a dog is, if you need protection a dog is going to protect you. You dont ever need to show them off as tough.

I love Pitbulls because they are like the superman of the dog world. Small muscular little tanks.

edit on 7-5-2012 by Prisoner60863 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I will say right off the bat that any dogs are capable of attack, however if you have the misfortune of being attacked by a pit bull you are going to the hospital or morgue for sure.
People will say here that a smaller dog is more prone to attack, that might be true but what they never mention is the damage done.

How many videos do we have to watch where the dog (pit bull) is out of control and the owner cannot do anything about it?

At least with a smaller dog you have a chance to boot it to the moon.
Not so with a bull, once they grab you anywhere you are going down then they go for the kill.

We are very happy that Ontario banned them and it was an excellent thing to do for the safety of all people here.

They were bred to kill/fight/attack/defend and that is what they do.

I hope I never see another one running loose in our neighbourhood here, and yes we have had a few.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
From what i gather pitbulls have
become *cool* probably
via all the tv shows about
how great they are..

Not just you, pitbulls are fasionable
EVERYWHERE now i go walking
down the road there is a pitbull
but i CCW if one gets to close
booooom bye bye...
some guys get one to compensate
for there little guy downstairs..

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

That was sorta wrong, huh? I think this one is just as beautiful... (hate the collar)

I have Boxers though.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Although I don't particularly like pitbulls as a breed, I don't hate them either.
Having said that too many people these days want to have a pitbull, because they are the tough dog to have in the neighbourhood.

You tend to get a lot of low class people getting pit bulls and when I say low class I don't mean people with no money, I mean people with no class, bad taste and generally screwed up values. More often than not these people make poor dog owners so its no wonder that we see stories about how pit bulls attack people or other dogs.

Additionally you get the muppets who breed these dogs for fighting and the other macho morons who go to these illegal dog fights.

BTW I've had personal experience dealing with an idiotic pit bull owner, who seemed to think it was perfectly normal for his dog to attack the labarador I was walking. That little runt got a bit of a shock because my sister's affectionate and well behaved dog doesn't stand for any nonsense from aggresive, little dogs.

No its not the dog's fault, but the fact is that certain breeds are more predisposed for certain behaviour traits.
edit on 7-5-2012 by freethinker123 because: missed a word

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Can you please define "cute" for me, as I think you and I have a different understanding of the word.

But its ok for you to post aggressive looking pics of pits to make your point? Do you not understand the hypocrisy?

Truth is, all dogs have the potential to be aggressive, if that is how they are raised. Banning a breed is downright stupid.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I used to like them. I love all animals but this is just one experience I've had with them.

The guy who used to live across the street from me bred them. The mother dog was as sweet as could be, very friendly and lovable. She would run around free and play with my kids and they'd just have the best time. There was never an issue with her as long as I had known of her living there.

Then one day, she was out in the backyard and her owner was gone. She ended up digging her way under the fence and got into their neighbor's yard and just tore up the little yorkie on the other side. It was unreal and the poor yorkie was unrecognizable. The yorkie's owner was absolutely devastated and she ended up with bites from the pit in her attempt to save her own dog.

I had a much different opinion of that dog after that day. Her personality went from sweetheart to cold killer in the blink of an eye. The guy was renting the house and moved out. I don't know if he lost the dog or not.

Just my own personal story with them. I've never owned one and never been hurt by one.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Pics of a full grown pit bull are honest as this is what the thread is about, pics of nice soft furry puppies does nothing to the OP's post but mock it.

If I wanted I could post a picture of a grizzly bear cub and everyone here would go ahhhhhhh so sweet.
Now go hiking in BC the next year and meet that little fuzz ball of a Grizzly on a trail and that will be your last vision in life.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Posted this before, and will continue to do so every time someone brings up pitbulls being nothing but ferocious mean looking animals. He's so ferocious he snuggles with Pixie the chihuahua...scary huh? In reality my chihuahua seems much more evil than my pitty.

he also snuggles with his big bad teeth inches from my face, ohno scary again

Like I said, most have seen these before and I apologize, I use them because I think they are a fairly good example of how the view of these animals is obviously slanted in a negative way. Obviously not the evil killing machines that attack everything in sight, as some would like you to believe.

edit: our baby pittys

edit on 7-5-2012 by SGTSECRET because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Pics of a full grown pit bull are honest as this is what the thread is about, pics of nice soft furry puppies does nothing to the OP's post but mock it.

If I wanted I could post a picture of a grizzly bear cub and everyone here would go ahhhhhhh so sweet.
Now go hiking in BC the next year and meet that little fuzz ball of a Grizzly on a trail and that will be your last vision in life.
Regards, Iwinder

so, propaganda is only accepted when it fits your argument? Choosing to post pics of aggressive, angry looking dogs is no different than posting pics of puppies. Neither represent the population of said dog.

I can post pics of very aggressive looking bunnies. Does that mean we should be scared of them?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

That was sorta wrong, huh? I think this one is just as beautiful... (hate the collar)

I have Boxers though.

You think that beast is beautiful? Not knockin' ya, just saying, BOY have tastes change since I was lad.

THIS is beautiful to me:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
In a proper situation they are exceptional dogs. That said where I live every ghetto thug has one that is out of control and they think it's hilarious to walk them up and down busy public streets.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join