It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Batman vs Punisher philosophy debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This thread is about Vigilante philosophy and who is right about killing criminals not about who would win in a fight

Batman or punisher

Lets start with there motives both are consumed by revenge and hatred of criminals and both are driven by tragedy having there family members killed right in front of them the only difference is there tactics Batman believes that by killing criminals he is just as bad as them the punisher believes that the only way to save the innocent is to shoot them on sight he he also has a thing against people who prey on women and children

Another thing to be noted is That while Batman fights a continuing war with the joker witch results in joker Constantly breaking out of Arkam Asylum and killing innocent lives in an endless cycle Punisher would just kill him on site and saving many Innocent people I also think its because Batman and joker need each outer Like Tom and Jerry So that is somthing to Consiter And if Bats Killed the criminals of his city woud its residents be safer? Or woud killing them let the criminals win?

So tell Me what You guys think who is right about killing Criminals Batman Or Punisher

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
the balance

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
@
So tell Me what You guys think who is right about killing Criminals Batman Or Punisher

The who recognizes their darkside needed to eliminate the evols.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Depends on your sense of justice I guess.
For me if you see someone trying to kill someone else.
You should be able to defend the innocent any way you can.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ninjas4321

I don't recall batman ever killing anyone, atleast modernly. He usually beats them until they are unconscious or he ties them up. Plus they are all insane, so he is having them committed to seek rehabilitation.

I do get the gist of what you are getting at. But batman, to my knowledge, hasn't actually killed anyone.

Both, I believe, are right and wrong in their own way.

Punisher-kills, doesn't give a second chance or tries to save them from themselves
Batman-captures, but won't kill them no matter how heaneous and gives them the opertunity to escape

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
If Batman killed the Joker hundreds if not thousands of lives would have been saved.He shouldn't start a job he doesn't have the stomach to finish. Because of his failure to kill the Joker he gives the Joker even more impetus to continue to taunt him by killing,maiming,and torturing innocents.Batman's failure to kill the Joker is just that a failure. If a pit bull kills a child you can't just put it back in it's cage til it bites another, it has to be out down.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

the problem is what u keep meaning one, punisher should not be one but punishment is absolutely right ways

while batman is the one, always hiding to get it all and taking profit of the idea that there is always worse

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Batman stated in Red Hood the reason for his "no kill" rule. "It would be too damn easy". He states there wasn't a day he didn't think about just losing it, and taking Joker out once and for all. But if he did, he would be just like Joker, willing to kill over nothing more than his decision that "You don't deserve to live." Then he's not only like Joker, but Joe Cool, the guy who shot his parents.

Batman stands as a symbol of hope, that one can overcome evil, and not have to lower one's self to becoming a murderer. Because of his past, I think we can all see why Bats feels the way he does.

Is Punisher's methods more perminate? Sure. Would alot of Gothamites like to see that style of justice so they didn't have to worry about the next costumed clown coming along and killing them? I bet there's a few.

That being said, I agree with Batman, because anyone can just kill you with a gun, but it takes a true super-hero to endure the tide. And it's not like those deaths caused by his rogue gallery don't haunt him every night. But instead of giving up, or becoming something more violent, he maintains his vigil. Creating a legend amongst the scum of Gotham that keeps them looking over their shoulder any time they start breaking the law. Only the most looney don't fear Bats, and they would've been sociopathic killers weither he was there or not.

A final point, since we're talking about super-heroes here, a comic super-hero shouldn't be a killer like that.Though, I agree, it works with Frank [Punisher] and Blade and the like. They live in a darker type of story. A realier world so to speak. That's why Batman is so popular as a hero in the culture, because he doesn't take the easy way out.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It depends on the crime. I mean if you're just going around robbing banks I don't think death is proper. But if the Joker was real, I could see how the death penalty would be understandable. But in this reality, too many innocent people get put to death so, I don't like it.

Zimmerman tried to be batman and you see how that played out...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Batman batman batman.. Even if he has a de hatred for criminals he still refuses to kill them. They still have a chance to change. The punisher simply burns all his bridges while batman gives them a chance to redeem themselves. A reformed criminal is a dangerous thing to current criminals

The punisher just kills, just burns everything down in a righteous anger. It's not his intent that is wrong, just his method. Of course you can argue that he gets the threat out of the way while batman may have to deal with the consequences of his morality later. My only answer to that is that doing the right thing is almost always harder than doing what's convenient

Anyway, I'm sort of biased bc TPTB want punishers not batmen. I tend to oppose what they want in general

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Zimmerman tried to be batman and you see how that played out...

Batman would never use a gun, so I fail to see the Zimmerman connection.

If Zimmerman was Batmaning it, he would've taken the kid down without taking him out.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AudioGhost

I don't recall batman ever killing anyone, atleast modernly. He usually beats them until they are unconscious or he ties them up. Plus they are all insane, so he is having them committed to seek rehabilitation.

I do get the gist of what you are getting at. But batman, to my knowledge, hasn't actually killed anyone.

Both, I believe, are right and wrong in their own way.

Punisher-kills, doesn't give a second chance or tries to save them from themselves
Batman-captures, but won't kill them no matter how heaneous and gives them the opertunity to escape

I believe that was the point of the OP?
One guy will kill with out an after thought, and one man vehemently stands agaisnt taking justice into your own hands.

Who is right and why. That's what I took from the question. Great thread OP!!!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninjas4321
This thread is about Vigilante philosophy and who is right about killing criminals not about who would win in a fight

Batman or punisher

Lets start with there motives both are consumed by revenge and hatred of criminals and both are driven by tragedy having there family members killed right in front of them the only difference is there tactics Batman believes that by killing criminals he is just as bad as them the punisher believes that the only way to save the innocent is to shoot them on sight he he also has a thing against people who prey on women and children

Another thing to be noted is That while Batman fights a continuing war with the joker witch results in joker Constantly breaking out of Arkam Asylum and killing innocent lives in an endless cycle Punisher would just kill him on site and saving many Innocent people I also think its because Batman and joker need each outer Like Tom and Jerry So that is somthing to Consiter And if Bats Killed the criminals of his city woud its residents be safer? Or woud killing them let the criminals win?

In a comic book world where bad guys are always bad, and beyond redemption....The Punisher philosophy seems pretty tempting.

In the real world, a guy like The Punisher would be making mistakes, and killing innocent people all the time....He'd be like George Zimmerman times a thousand!

In real life you can never tell the motives behind an action, or if a person is redeemable. Not only that...It's not always easy to tell someones age when they're in the middle of a crime. I've certainly known people that have committed crimes in their youth, who have become incredibly peaceful and respectful adults.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

No, George Zimmerman tried to be The Punisher. Batman refuses to use guns and that's why he's a hero and George Zimmerman is a murderer.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Lasr1oftheJedi

Well I meant a vigilante style of action, like Batman. Punisher would have been more accurate, my bad.

"Vigilante justice" can go horribly wrong and is quite dangerous. If everyone played sheriff of the town there'd be a lot of dead people, many innocent.

edit on 7-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

What about a Sub-zero vs Iceman philosophy debate?

Would it be the same?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarJohn

What about a Sub-zero vs Iceman philosophy debate?

Would it be the same?

Not exactly, Sub-zero isn't a hero. He's an assassin death ninja.
See, Frank is a hero, albeit, a murderous one.
Plus, Iceman has killed a few people in his 48 years of comic-dom. But no one minded because, ya know, they were the "bad guys".

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Capt America is a hero,he didn't care for the Punisher:
scans-daily.dreamwidth.org...
And Batman has fought Capt America:
www.comicvine.com...
But what do I know I like Deathlok:
comicrelated.com...

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
But isn't this a question of justice?
edit on 7-5-2012 by juveous because: meh